visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Lineside maintenance and supply facility....AKA....my build of Kit #315.....

Comments

• edited January 2023
    If you google 1/48th scale bricks...you should find them...think it was a military modelers site in the UK
  • mornin' art. i thought i was the only one up this early.....
  • I like the way you have it laid out.
  • The layout and details are looking terrific. Fun part of the build when you are putting in all the detail parts.
  • No Kevin...I'm seemingly up all night.....Think I'm going with that Bryan....just a slight mod in the landform that will be in the next photos....And you are correct Ken.....I've been painting details for what seems like weeks.....even all the ones I ordered from Brett during the year...figured I'd get a leg up....even started painting details from kits I've had for years.....
  • Good grief Art...you're on a detail roll! Good feeling to have all those details ready to go.
  • It was a sea of foam and toothpicks.....I was just not ready to glue down the structures....hesitant as it were....it's now time
  • Thanks, Art for the info about the bricks. Randy
  • Gluing down stuff....there's no turning back now.....
  • Can't wait to see!
  • Git R Dun Art.
  • No turning back indeed Art.. Onwards !!!
  • Not as much done as I hoped for....but got a few solid hours into the placement of the water tank and shed section of the module.....I have some stuff glued together the shed walls in particular....the rafters are just set in for spacing and I need to route some lighting wires....you will all be surprised at where the batteries are going to go...spending the day tomorrow in the shop, weather the track....plant some details.....a little landscaping....moving in....SW Water Tank glued 1
    SW Water Tank glued 2
    SW Water Tank glued 3
    SW Water Tank Glued 4
    More photos tomorrow.....letting the glue dry....
  • Looking very nice Art. I looked up scale bricks and got some nice ones from an estie source in Budapest, Hungary. Randy
  • edited January 2023
    Just wish I had more time in the shop.....been pulled away too much as of late....in the shop right now....actually working on the coal / fuel dock that will be right next to this so I can add some more track as I paint and detail it....not forgetting this build for as the glue sets on my coal platform....I am working on the lean to shed....and the lighting.....a lot of details going to live there....
  • Almost have the coal dock done....I need it to size up to fit in the fuel depot and the shed end of the water tank and shed.....its scratch built...but is using one of the sheds from the Dueling Sheds kit....and sharing some details from SW kits....Thanks Bryan for the inspiration....photos later today....
  • The layout of everything is looking good Art.
    You are making fine progress despite all of the distractions.

Looking forward to seeing which of the "Dueling Shacks" you used, that's another of Brett's great kits still on my list to build. Can't wait to see your take on it.
  • Thanks Karl...not too many comments on it...I was worried....Here's what kept me busy for a few nights....this coal dock will sit right next to the water tank and shed on the maintenance spur....I needed to do this to see the spacing and flow from the water tank....just past this will be a sand house and fuel depot directly across from each other...then I can work on the high line and bridge in the back....I'm still going to have a few other structures in this module...just need to figure out where...

The dock is far from done....but you can see the concept and the manual jib hoist to load and unload the coal by bucket....the shed will go on the end away from the hoist and be shrunk down a bit...I'm doing the one with the tar paper roof....the other has another home in the fuel depot.....SW Water Tank coal deck 1
    SW Water Tank Coal deck 2
  • It will get short walls to contain the coal....the other floorboards need to go in by the jib....a set of stairs and the shed just to the right of it also elevated a bit....but tomorrow.....more water tank and shed work....
  • edited January 2023

Thanks Karl...not too many comments on it...I was worried....

Not to worry Art, it's looking good from where I'm sitting and there are a lot of 'silent' followers watching and waiting to see what you do next.
    I know it's hard to gauge things when you don't get much feedback, but there are many checking in and interested in what you are doing.

Keep up the great progress, the nbw detail on the dock is a nice touch, as is the bracing on the jib arm.

Looking forward to the tank and shed work next.

• Hey Art. Work flow is nicely thought out. Having the additional maintenance facilities in conjunction with the water tank and hand car structures makes perfect sense. So many nifty structures to construct your scenes around and provide interesting details. The saga of where the "batteries go" will have a following!
  • Looking very forward to seeing the extra elements you are constructing all come together!
  • Didn't want to slow down on the water tank....just needed to see the flow of the module in a place other than in my head...now I have the spacing...back to full efforts on the water tank and shed....The coal deck will have the SW Shed, and the sand facility will incorporate the Wood Cutters kit....should get to the lighting soon...as I just finished cutting and staining the shingles for the roof....and getting some details planted....
  • Got a lot done on the Water Tank and Shed.....shingles grained and stained...started gluing them down.....have a few more things to do before I put up a photo....tomorrow....so while paint and glue were drying.....did some more stuff on the coal dock...walls....a bunch of NBW's.....some weathering....mount the boom (waiting on a coal bucket) and it can wait on the shelf till the water tank / shed is done....SW Water Tank Coal boom
    SW Coal dock with walls 1
    SW coal dock with walls 2
  • edited January 2023
    The NBW's stand out like sore thumbs....a little chalk....and some coal....and it will look better...The shed will be on a platform at the end of the dock....small office for the coal dock and fuel depot....
  • looks great!
  • Coming along great Art. What a nice addition!
  • edited January 2023
    I was doing a lot of this at about 0 dark 30 and I was 45 minutes into installing NBW's on the back side that no one (other than me) will ever see...If you look in the background you can see the main roof in progress of being shingled...and a pile of shingles... (the roof will be removable), working on the lighting today after the shingles and then some work on the tank itself....
  • edited January 2023
    Looking good Art, the extra work always pays off in self satisfaction.
    I noticed the main roof in the background and tried to zoom in for a better look, the colours and variation look great and we'll be waiting for a better look when you get it finished.

0 dark 30 is when I do my best work... ha

The coal dock and hoist are looking great, I cant wait to see the "Dualing Shack" next to it.