visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Lineside maintenance and supply facility....AKA....my build of Kit #315.....

Comments

• It may not seem like I'm following the manual step by step...but for the most part I am....I not showing all my photos yet....just the slight deviations from the manual build....So here's my rendition of the hand car so far...and again...not the final weathering...a little rust...some dirt....and I didn't get to the wood planks tonight....that's tomorrow. The direction I'm going with the change of the hand car repair area is set in my head....for now...there will be a lean to roofed work area....a few SW tool benches....with the "clutter" scattered around it....hopefully a better view by Thursday....SW Water Tank Hand Car base coat
  • looks great. that is a cool detail.
  • We're supposed to follow the steps in the manual???!!!
  • Bryan....I am....but....I needed the hand car to set the "size" of the area on the side of the tank. I have been following the manual....and was actually at that point to build it....my walls are ready to go up...but I am cautious to glue it down until it "fits" with the addition on the side....soon....
  • And I went with the yellow ochre color because that is what most of my MOW stuff is painted....I'm going with new boards, some touch up painting....and maybe some welding going on with the cart....I also have an original CHB hand car and a velocipede that my show up in or near this structure...
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks Kevin...it is Kool...Brett did a great job with it....I just put it together....
  • edited December 2022
    3 hours in the shop...but no photo's as my camera/phone is acting up.....diviated slightly in working on the lean-to structure so I can glue down the floor, walls and stone structure...along with the rails for the work area next to the tank....right now I am a detail painting machine...
  • Handcar detail is wonderful and makes such a great scene. Its all in the details!
  • Thanks Ken...it's so kool....I am going to build the CHB version too....it will be in service and a bit also in need of repair....(next on the list at the shed...lol).....sorry it took a few days....I was busy with Christmas and peoples pipes bursting everywhere...
  • Still working on the eyelets (brass)....and some scuffs and dirt....will look great ifo the locker....
  • those look suspiciously like my boots from 1980 when i was working as a laborer for a flat crew. wow. very nice boots!! i wouldn't spend alot of time on the brass eyelets, i could never really see mine from the mud.
  • Top notch boots. Eyelets will get you bonus points.
  • brownbr said:

Top notch boots. Eyelets will get you bonus points.

i'd only focus on the top two or three. the rest would be covered with mud

• I have a dirty brass paint I mixed up....will give it a shot....maybe a few scuffs in the right spots....a little mud in the soles....the details are unreal....and these suckers are tiny....

Also got some work done on the lean to shed that will anchor the repair scene on the side of the tank....photos later...
  • Art,
    This has been a great build and I am thoroughly enjoying your work boots on this build as well as on the 3D Printed Detail page
    I had a pair of steel toed work boots I wore in the early 1960's while working for the People's Gas Light and Coke Co in Chicago. I vividly recall my first day on the job when our crew foreman, a very robust Irish lad, Pete, made a point on stepping rather vigorously on my toes to test to make sure I was wearing steel toed boots. Then he was off to a neighborhood pub for the remainder of the day as his work for hat day had been accomplished. Those boots got well tested and worn doing jack hammer and shovel work over three summers.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ.
  • Great job on the boots!
  • Great work on the boots so far Art, can't wait to see the next steps you have mentioned.
    Also I'm very looking forward to seeing the scene come together.
  • A few hours in the shop.....got some stuff done.....The lean-to shed is nearing completion...just need to detail some of the wood....and add some details....it will house some tools and drum...a few other boxes....we shall see.....you can see the work trank with the hand car....it will have work in progress of deck replacement and it had a bad bearing on a wheel.....and since the work area is moved...the oil bottle fill area will live over on the other side of the shed next to the coaling, sanding and fueling facility, which will be populated with a lot of SW details....it will be built right after the Water Tank is done... SW Water Tank Leanto and car 1
    SW Water Tank Leanto and car 2
    SW Water Tank Hand car 1
    SW Water Tank Hand car in hand
  • edited December 2022
    The lean-to will also have a rear wall with tools and such hanging...and as you can see....a corrugated roof heavily rusted and worn....lots of clutter will be around the shed....hope to have the structures planted tomorrow....
  • edited December 2022
    SW Water Tank Oil pump 1
    This may also find it's way into the fueling facility
  • The chipped yellow on the handcar is great and the old grey deck boards suit it perfectly.
    That High boy is going to be a great addition.
  • The lean to is a nice addition
  • Grea tlooking work area Art. I like the color on the handcar. he lean-to shed will add even more interest to the over all build. Randy
  • edited January 2023
    After once again much mulling over in my head....I think this is nearing the way things are going to get glues down later....I also made a decision to increase the size of my layout room from 12' x 15' to 20' x 15' which won't affect this module section, but will make room for more walk completely around space for the other modules, one of which will be the sawmill complex, loco service area (roundhouse and shops), and where I plan to put the O'Neills and foundry, which will be right next to my scratch built boiler and logging donkey shop (which will be big). And if that's not enough....this module will change a bit too...but I'll leave that as a surprise for later. So here are a few shots of the location, main line up front, spur to the maintenance facility ifo the water tank / shed....tthat facilitate me moving the hand car repair area to the side....the shed shot is just to see how the detailing is coming along...still needs some more chalk work... SW Water Tank mockup North
    SW Water Tank scene mockup South
    SW Water Tank shed mock-up 1
  • OK....wrong shed photo....SW Water Tank Shed mockup
  • edited January 2023
    This...is going to get glued down tonight as I need to start placing detail stuff....I think the spacing is good.....any input?.....The fueling facility will be almost right next to the wooden shed.....the track will turn inward a bit....and right behind this now (a change will be elevation with the track leading to the lumber cutting area ( Camp 7) )
  • Looking good Art. I forgot to ask earlier. What did you use for the bricks under the stove. Thanks Randy
  • Thanks Randy, ordered them online a while back....can't remember the source....