visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Lineside maintenance and supply facility....AKA....my build of Kit #315.....

Comments

• I like the look also. If you want to get a dark ring towards the bottom, touch the bottom of the tank with a brush loaded with IA. It will wick up the board. Go all the way around for an even layer and add as many layers as you like until it looks the way you want.
  • I'm also kinda good with it too.....just a wee tad more darkness on the bottom......but I will be careful....
  • From the photo the color looks good. I agree with Bryan a little darker toward the bottom. It may look different in real life as opposed to a photo.
  • Spent an entire day getting about half the shop area organized....including the work table. So to give you an idea of the size of what I'm going to do...I put the floor and stone structure in approximately the spot it should end up (not glued down... ignore the 2 dark boards where the rails will go one it's installed) . There will be a mainline track almost all the way at the front...with a runaround track that will pass the front of the tank and shed.....there will be a spur that goes behind the water tower...that will be a repair track that leads into the Tractor Repair...that will live to the rear and right of the shed. Directly behind the shed will be the Truck Repair, with the Woodcutters shed just to the right of it. I will have a few other scratch built structures, a few sheds (including a SW or two). This will mostly all fit on this 2x2 1" foam. Just the Tractor Repair will drift onto the next 2x2 piece to the right. That will lead into the area designated for the 5 stall roundhouse, Engine and machine shop, and a boiler repair facility. To the left of this module....with a stand of woods and a small bridge will be the Foundry and O'Neills. There will be a pennisula that will hold the Sawmill and a shingle mill. Yes....a whole lot of stuff. I am working on some change of elevations for this before I finalize the locations.SW Water Tank First Module
  • edited November 2022
    Thats alot of big ideas for such a small space Art. Do you have any of the structures done yet so we could see a mock up of the layout you have in mind for this area.
    Looking at that pic you just posted the track will take up atleast a third of that area.
    I love the concept and I'm interested to see how it comes together and fits.
  • I'm in the process of making cutouts of the floorplans of each.....I have the Truck repair started ( next to finish ), and part of the Tractor repair (main building). That 2x2 space will have another 2x2 block added to it (not enough room on the table) were most of the Tractor Repair will live. I'll be working on the location tomorrow as stain and paint dry....so that might give you an idea. It will be tight...I'm shooting for the concept of trains running close between the buildings like on the EBT. I build my layout like I do construction work...limited planning by the seat of my pants....I do appreciate any and all input to the layout of the structures.
  • Art, that's a ton of modeling. I hope you will be able to complete it. It will make a fantastic scene when finished.....Rick
  • So do I....lol....I'm pretty far along on most of the builds.....I have a bad habit of getting a lot done...then wandering off on another kit....I hope to have the Water Tank done before X-mas....and the Tractor Repair is more done than not.....Truck Repair should be done in January....with the Woodcutters hopefully shortly thereafter....I have a need to have it done by early April for a show....so if the cold weather comes as advertised....I'll have plenty of shop time....
  • It's going to look great. With that size, you could power the rails and make it a functioning module. How cool would that be?

Which show?
  • Interesting Art how modelers approach builds. I never start a build while involved with another. I guess I get so engrossed in the current project I cant give another project the same attention! lol. I'm impressed that you can have several going on at the same time. Good grief, my bench is messy enough with one build!
  • edited November 2022
    Brian the All O Scale in Harrisburg Pa. April 1. I do a few clinics there and this is going to be a showcase for the detail work. The photos I post later I hope will give a better idea of this section of my layout. It will be a 4x2 section of my layout when done. I build on the 1' foam...then attach it to the 2" foam that is the base of each 8x2 foot module. And it's being built as a modular construction, Dead Rail (no wiring) hung on the wall, no section deeper than 2'. It will be set at 48" off the gound for variable veiwing. It will hang on french cleats, so when I move...it can take the ride with me....and with no wiring....it will just unbolt....where the foam panels meet...the gap will be either well hidden or the scenery (dirt) will be loose...not glued down.
    Ken, I won't say I get bored with a build...because I don't...my first kit was the O sawmill that I started gees almost 8 years ago....maybe more....and I sopped that about 1/2 way into the build as I didn't (and still don't have the layout to that point yet....The other problem is when Brett comes out with a new kit....it's like a squirel runs buy.....I shift to that....get it going....then....well it's a vicious cycle. I vowed this time to finish the Water Tank....and I will.....then the Truck Repair and then the Tractor Repair....My biggest issue with this particular project is facing all of the "best side" to face front....the tank will be up near the front....Truck Repair best sides will be visable.....and I'm going to curve the track into the Tractor Repair to see the most detail....
  • Ok....here's the Nickel Tour.....this is the mock-up I did last night to show both you...and myself...where everything is going to go ( as of right now). Things may change for some of the structures but I need to "plant" the Water Tank and Shed to continue on...SW Water Tank Module veiw 2
  • edited November 2022
    I cut out the elevation changes with 3/4" and 1/2" foam board (both occassionally available at Lowes) Right now this is definately where the Water Tank is going to go. It will get glued down maybe after midnight tonight...or tomorrow. I'm working on the wall details as I type ( paint is drying)....The track out front is the mainline....the Truck Repair will be up front, along with a warehouse I will either scratch or build from a kit I think will work there....In the back left (as you look at it) corner will be a small critter shed, and the Woodcutters shack...This loco will service this area along with the Foundry and O'Neills that will be on the module that will be to the left of this one thru a stand of trees....Far right corner will be a bunkhouse and office/kitchen.....(someone needs to staff this area), with the Tractor Repair right in front of it. Between that and the Water Tank will be a coal / gas / diesel fueling area. Most of the loco roster will be oil or coal fired. You can see that the run around track that goes past the Water Tank also serves the Tractor Repair, and the warehouse will have a loading dock out the rear to the track. The stumps you see are potential trees ( need a cause for roof top moss and algae), I will also have a bunch of stumps in the final lanscaping as this area was previously logged and cleared to build what I am going to call Service Camp 3. There will also be a few sheds scattered about...(the Tool , Rigging and Dueling sheds) The track in the mockup is not the stuff I will be using ( Peco On30), and if you can see the red lines....there will be a small creek that will require a small bridge I've already built.

While I love all the SW kits...they are the cause of a conundrum...I can't have them all completely visable from all 4 sides....I have to sacrifice a bit. I have the Tractor supply on a good angle to showcase as much as I can....The roofs on it, the Water Tank Shed and the Truck Repair will all be removable to expose as much detail as possible. And I will use mostly, if not all SW 3D detail in anything I scratch build....there may be a few "outsider" deatils I need that will be replaced when Brett offers them.
    This is one of the reasons the sawmill will be on a peninsula so all 4 sides will be viewable.

Suggestions are welcome....I value your opinions as to how I'm going to do this....thing's may and will move...but I need to plant the Tank.....in the next day or so.

OK...Nuff for now.....back to the shop to paint and weather details...
  • Oh...the elevation changes will either be rock ledges, retaining walls, or gentle slopes...and there will be elevated wooden walkways and gravel / dirt roads
  • You sure put a lot of thought into this. Looks like this will be a real treat to see when completed. Looking forward to your progress Art.......Rick
  • Thanks Rick....I have been working this layout thru in my head for years....for this winter I made the decision to get a lot more done on both it and the pile of kits I have on the shelves.....structures and trains....I'll eventually post a full drawing of what I hope to eventually do.
  • Very well thought out.
  • edited November 2022
    I'm still arranging it in my head.....but I think this is the way it should look by about late February / March.....once the landscaping goes in...I'll figure it out....this is what slows me down....I need to look at the scheme of this as per the layout...
  • Nice mock up and layout of structures. Puts things in perstpective as to your plans. Lots of interesting detail packed into this service area.
  • Looks great Art. Nice project.
  • Very nice the tank looks great. Nice coloring.

Jerry
  • Art, It looks interesting. As has been said you are packing a lot into a small space.
    Randy
  • Main thing is getting this kit done first....slowed down a bit....no where near Karls progress...
  • Keep the focus Art, you're making great progress and the tank is moving along nicely.

The module design is going to be very interesting to watch progress as it is a great plan, one thing at a time and it will all come together.
  • Looks like an interesting composition !!
  • Love the layout you're working on - integrating the structures among the track. The layering of structures and rail is a real photo op at every angle. Looking forward to watching this come to life.

This is something I have been contemplating for awhile since a layout is just not in the future for me.
  • That looks very good! I love the colours of the stones and brickwork and that light... that really is a nice extra touch! Great idea!
  • Started the evening off with entirely good intentions.....moved the mockup into the layout room....cleared off the work table...(see the photo below) and got distracted (read a fire) got back....did a little prep painting....all the windows are primed and drying, along with the tank bands. I got the hinges on the doors...chalk weathered some stuff....and decided to get a fresh start in the morning....we're expecting rain most of the day....so we'll see what happens....SW Tank Ready to go
  • Kind of like looking at our living room on Christmas morning BEFORE the kids tore into all the presents when they were young! Such a nice clean work space.