visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Lineside maintenance and supply facility....AKA....my build of Kit #315.....

Comments

• Sounds like it was good time knocking elbows with fellow modelers...Nice you straightened him out properly!:)
  • Wow what a great start Art. So fast too.
  • Here are a few shots of the stone work....just the initial coloration, still needs a little dry brushing and chalk work to show texture....and probably an AI wash to give it some more depth, a long way from done. I tried to just do the brickwork as per the manual....i couldn't get the thickness of the mortar lines as I want them....so I will go with a different method. The paint was as Brett suggested, medium tan tones. but if you look close (lighting doesn't really show it though) there's about 8 different variations of 3 shades of tan. All saved in the cups from 5 Guy's (good burgers and modeling supplies)...so I can easily touch up and dry brush from them.
  • The lintels just have a base coat of a very light tan. Going to wait till I get the windows done to match up the tones better....
  • And now as I look at the photos here....I need to open up some of the mortar line that I filed too deep on the corners.....no more work today though.....
  • Great base work on the stone and brick. Coming along nicely!
  • Good looking start Art,
    I'm really looking forward to following where you go from here.
  • Nice work Art! The stonework is coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing the weathering.
  • Nice warm colors. Great start !
  • Good job Art. I think it looks like sandstone. The color variations do show up. Randy
  • I like it.
  • Glad it looks good...I initially had it a bit too dark on a few stones.... then toned it down.....I am in the process of getting the depth and tone good with chalk and AI wash.....soon...
  • Great stone work Art.
  • Plan to get some stuff done tonight as I've been working all weekend.....and may have visited at least 1 brew pub......truth be told, I'm not that good with stone and brick, it takes several tries to get it acceptable in my eyes. Thats why this forum is a big help in other eyes seeing the work and offering comments....it always helps...
  • I like the color on the stones.
  • Just read Karls post too on the stones....keeping the stones the same color family as other stone structures in the area. I had wanted to use more gray tones as that seems to be what a lot of my "rock" in the area are....but I do love the tan and brown tones....Been trying to get more done...but other "chores" have slowed me...a lot....one last "duty" this evening....then I hape to have a few hours over the rest of the week to model...
  • After looking at Karls stone work, I'm going to add a bit of gray highlights to mine. I can adjust the stonework tones on my layout to include some browns and tans too, so there's some continuity. More brainstorming than modeling tonight, mainly the lighting. Looked at the Evans Design sight.....they now have gooseneck and industrial lights....ordered.....now I need to wait for those before I go too far with the shed....I will document the lighting once I get that far with photos.
  • edited November 2022
    Thanks for the mentions Art,
    The beauty of this is that minor adjustments can be made easily if deemed necessary, or, you can just start over completely, so,
    there is absolutely no need for anyone to be hesitant of just jumping in and trying things out.

I'll look forward to following your lighting install, but, while we are waiting for that gives you some time to work on those exquisite details.

Great work so far and looking forward to seeing your next progress update.
  • The last few days the diversions (fires and rescue stuff) have kept me away from getting much done.....but I am hoping I put a big dent in the details this weekend....finished a few....will post here and in the 3D thread too soon....
  • The public is glad you have your priorities straight!
  • edited November 2022
    SW water tank drill early
    Not too much in the detail mood tonight....so I just did a few things...initial base paint....needs a lot of touch up and to get some chalk on it....and yes...it is a bit warped....it will straighten once it's glued up to the wall
  • edited November 2022
    SSW water tank slight weather wall
    A light wash with some AI,,,, and some start on the mortar....once I get the mortar right....I will dry brush the brick to dull it down a bit and work in a bit of texture and depth....
  • SW water tank gooseneck 1
    SW Water tank gooseneck 2
    SW Water tank Gooseneck 3
    These are the gooseneck lights I was waiting on.....the sheild, wall plate and gooseneck itself are not attached to the tiny LED.....I will trim the tube to fit...and the shield and plate will get a dab of glue once i get them painted up....Thats magnet wire.....8" long.....these are the ones Evans offers as HO/S scale....I think they are just about right...I just ordered an O scale pair just to compare (should have put on the initial order...oh well)
  • edited November 2022
    SW water tank pendant light
    This is one of the pendants....that spec of yellow in there is the LED...they are a warm white.....wiring is going to happen well before the walls get glued up....hoping to be more in the mood and have the time in the next few days....
  • so you removed the led and wires from the tube and cut the tube?? i need to do that to evan designs industrial lamps because they too long. how in the world did you manage to rethread those wires back through the tube?
  • I haven't removed anything yet....they come with all three parts loose....the light shade, the escutcheon plate that goes on the wall, and the tube. As I look at it....someone at Evans had to thread it thru....it is the tiny magnet wire too...so it may not be that hard. I will be doing it with the pendants for sure...I will post photos. I just ordered the larger ones (these are the small intended for HO and S scales. The parts will be larger, but I think too large for this structure. I have a bit to doo before I'll need them...and my progress is already slowed down. I'll key you all in to anything I figure out how to make them work. My plan is to run the wiring like knob and tube
  • SW Water Tank brick with mortarOK....a bit better lighting.....not quite the final weathering, going to vary up the brick tones a bit, but I will wait for anymore chalk until its ready to plant on the foam.

• edited November 2022
    Nice! Like the warm color tones and the excellent brick color.