visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Lineside maintenance and supply facility....AKA....my build of Kit #315.....

Comments

• Nice work Art! I really like the colouring of the shingles
  • Thanks Joel....progress has been slow....got some more done in the way of details painted and first stages of weathering....the shop stove is rusted up....going to tone it down a bit...a little dark gray chalk will work I think...and it's sitting on an Item I was waiting on...some clay bricks....wood building....hot stove....my fire pager goes off....
    The next shot is just me ending the night...I have a lot of the details painted waiting on weathering....will post a few soon....but I just set the walls in place with the shelf units....nothing is glued except the locker and the shelves on it's side....just envisioning the space I'll have with the stove and the bricks....SW Water Tank shop stove
    SW Water Tank shed mock-up 1
  • bricks are a great touch. we don't want that pager going off....
    they still sell pagers?
  • What a nice detail Art. Hey, at least you were in the mood when your pager went off!
  • Bricks are a nice touch
  • Yes, the fire service (volunteer side) still use a radio type pager....a tone, and then voice message.....trying to get to the point I can "plant" the structure so I can figure out where everything that was going to be in the rear (which on the layout will be hard to see) is going to go. I'm thinking of having the work area next to the side of the tower....too many details not to see....
  • Nice personalized detail.
  • Fuel for the stove, coal....or wood ? I'm thinking wood....but I'll have a multi fuel facility right next door.....now if I only had a 3D printed coal bucket and small shovel....(hint)
  • I like doing my stoves fueled with wood. I love the look of a few random pieces of wood inside near the stove, ashes on the floor, and a nice stack of wood outside. Peer pressure!
  • I agree....I am leaning towards as you say the little wood pile...and the ashes.....I had a brief...very brief thought of making it hollow and lighting it up...then I regained my senses...
  • Pretty good progress tonight...got about 75% of the details at least painted the base color past primer.....and a dozen or so that have weathering, chalk and detail paint...waiting for further touch up and finishing......SW Water Tank Air Cart
    SW Water Tank Barrel
    SW Water Tank Hand Truck
  • edited December 2022
    As usual...lighting sucks....everything need more work...need to tone down the oil on the drum...and soften the rust on the hand truck wheels....
  • Got some stuff done....photos tomorrow...need to get the lighting issue figured out....using the phone for photos.....
  • Nice progress on the details Art. Nifty paint scheme on the hand truck. Photographing your work is an excellent way of evaluating your results and to identify areas that you wish to re-work...nice job.
  • Thanks Ken....I saw a hand truck that was almost exactly this design as Brett made in the EBT shops with this coloration....the wooden handles and the black paint on the metal parts....a little more weathering will happen before they get "planted". Right now I'm slowed down by the concept of how to move the details from the back side of the water tank and shed to the side of the water tower. Otherwise they would never be seen once on the layout. I think I have it figured out. The fueling facility that will be right next to the shed will get the oil bottle filling scene as there will be fuel tanks and a coaling deck. Even though I'm not posting a whole lot...there is progress. I have also made a few changes in my mind on the footprint of the module I previously posted....so for now I'm working with basically a 15" x 10" piece of 1" foam to build this onto....it will all come together as I move along....I see mare changes as it progresses....
  • edited December 2022
    Nice Art! I have enough trouble just getting a diorama laid out and the workflow down let alone working within the constraints of a layout! Admire your work progress.
  • That hand cart really turned out nice! You could spread the details that won't be seen out throughout the rest of the diorama.
  • Thanks Tom....I have already a few set to go to other areas of not just the module...but the layout too....I have a bunch of SW kits, and i never tend to use everything...plus I've been getting more 3D stuff as cash permits....Ken, my thought process changes every time I look at it....as you have said...I'll sit and stare at it for a while...move something...stare and think some more...there's been many a time I had the detail with a dab of glue....ready to plant it....and my mind says.....nope....not there....
  • Trying to get stuff done....someone decided to have a fire.....got about an hour in the shop.....started to get the middle wall together....some stuff glued...some not....need to weather more and add some texture....SW Water Tank Side 2 inner wall
  • Chalk will dull stuff down...a few more labels....and a set of those new boots will look good in front of the locker....
  • As for my idea to move the "rear"...to the side....rails on some beams....a lean to shed....like the one Bryan mentioned to protect the tools and such....open for comment....SW Water Tank Idea 1
    SW Water Tank Idea 2
  • I will leave more room for the ladder to the tank....the beams will be almost buried in soil....
  • I'm going to need a set of those boots also. The detailed soles are just screaming for footprints in the mud!
  • edited December 2022
    brownbr said:

I'm going to need a set of those boots also. The detailed soles are just screaming for footprints in the mud!

exactly!!!
    but i'm gonna need some in a size 10

• hah, more like size .10!

Looking good Will be interesting to see your mods come to life.
  • Nice initial work on that wall Art. Floor planks are looking appropriately worn.
  • Brett, I can't not use those details....I think I have a way figured out to move the whole scene to the side of the Tank....It will be close to the front of the layout section...but not close enough to really see it all....I think you'll like it....
  • Art wall looks great. I am looking forward to your solution for moving the repair of the handcar. I too will need to move things from behind the shed. Randy
  • to clarify my previous post...it would be hard to see if I left all the details in the rear of the structure...