visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Lineside maintenance and supply facility....AKA....my build of Kit #315.....

Comments

• Ken it's never this clean and uncluttered....but as I age disgracefully, I tend to set stuff down, and loose track of where I did....This only looked like this for about 5 minutes....I soon had the tank bands, clamps, door hinges, windows and a few other items I had sprayed dark gray (I seldom use absolute black as it is just that) spread out and I started on the tank bands, until I realized my last tube of gel CA was a rock. And at 10pm, I was SOL. so this morning I made the trip to HD and secured a supply and I am presently working on those. I did get the hinges on the doors and weathered, along with starting the windows which I had left until now. Its cold and raining outdoors....so I am in the shop....photos to follow....
  • Sounds good Art...look forward to the update.
  • Didn't get as much done as I hoped to....got the hoops on the tank....followed the instructions using the CA which is not one of my better skills...I added a drop about every 2 inches around the band as I applied it...seemed to work better for me. Did some weathering with both paint and chalks....more needs to go on once I get things further. Also did some work on the hinges...added a sign or 2 to the doors....the walls are almost ready to go together...just a bit more detailing....also want to do some more with the doors and windows on the stone structure...SW Water Tank hoops 1
    SW Water Tank hoops 2
    SW Water Tank hoops 3
    SW Water Tank single door
    SW Water Tank doors
  • Good progress Art, the colouring and different tones on the tank look great along with the bands. Door colours also look good and aged/faded nicely.
  • Thanks Karl....I hate working with CA....I spent a while removing a hoop clamp that I inadvertantly glued to my thumb...lol.....I have a slight mod on the tank roof, I'm adding a small hatch on the roof for maintenance access, and a fill pipe into the tank that will come up on the back of the tank with a valve....also going to have a pipe that will exit the rear of the stone structure and go into the ground....(it goes underground to the pond up the hill) roof base and cone are glued up, shingles are cut...and tomorrow stain and application...I hope...
  • edited December 2022
    Yeah, CA can be a tricky sucker, but, as long as you glue the parts to your finger at least you dont loose them... hahaha

.....I have a slight mod on the tank roof, I'm adding a small hatch on the roof for maintenance access, and a fill pipe into the tank that will come up on the back of the tank with a valve.

The hatch is a nice idea, access to pull out those dead birds and rats that fall in there and drown....

However, the kit already includes a fill pipe that runs up the tank , the kit also includes a globe valve and a handle, which is to be installed on the fill pipe, so I'm not sure about that being a 'mod' as it's already included in the kit.

Keep those off-cuts from the angled shingles, they make great small scrap wood to go in the empty drums/barrels or just easy ground scatter as you can see on my build.

I look forward to seeing your roof as it comes together.

• My bad....I did read thru the instructions....but I had forgotten about the pipe and valve....lol....I still will be adding a lower pipe though...
    Another issue I will have is the fact that while the back of the structure will be visible from the sides and top...most of the details that go in the back will be not all that visible.
    I'm still playing with a few solutions to that so the handcar repair area and other details are seen....I have time for that to be figured out though...I'll come up with something
  • Dead birds and drowned rats, Karl misses nothing.... :). Nice work Muddy !!
  • I like the idea of a roof hatch. I think it will be visually appealing.

I have a selection of rats on hand.
  • Tank bands turned out very nice as did the doors.
  • Now...I need a rat...and a least one bird to put on the tank roof...ha....Bryan, I have a hard time finding fauna....flora is not an issue.....but good scale animals are hard to find....I bought some O scale seagulls a bit back that actually looked like teradactyls. size wise..

And I think the roof hatch will work....we will see...working on that today....

Thanks Tom...still will get some work once it all goes together.....I trying to go with a "used" and maintained when possible look....
  • Well....I spent 6 hours in the shop today...got stuff done...minor glitch along the way....worked mainly on the roof of the tank. I too looked at the manual, thought I had read everything....except the template for cutting the angle on the shingles...I was cutting angles...but not following the manual....Brett too the time to delineate those angle for each row.....but did I pay attention.....nope. Well...half way up the roof...I realized something was wrong...I then went back....and saw the nice template...I was able to somewhat fix my error....but not perfectly...but I have a solution.....Bryans moss...so, no close-ups of my shingles until I grow some moss....most of you will see the fopa.

• Ok.....I told you I was adding an access hatch to the water tank. So here is how I did it. I decided to make the hatch like I've seen on hundreds of roof scuttles while working as a firefighter here in the northeast. Out of wood, covered with tarpaper and sealed with tar. So I started with a square of MDF, covered it with the same black tissue I used for the inside of the shed walls. SW Water Tank hatch single
  • I then cut a measured square hole slightly smaller than the size of the hatch in the roof. SW Water Tank Hole
  • Next, I used scrap wood to act as a plug to hold the hatch proud of the hole a bitSW Water Tank Hatch bottom
  • Then I glued the hatch in place....
  • edited December 2022
    Then I shingled he roof.....making my error.....and realized I don't like shingling a round peaked roof anymore than I did in real life ( I did roofing at one time). Once I got done....I didn't like the way the hatch sat...it was too low with the shingles in place, so I cut another hatch out of MDF, just slightly bigger than the original, and glued that on top of the one that was already there, now it looked more like a real scuttle hatch. I added hinges and will do more detailing tomorrow ( I stopped at 0145 EST ) It looks the way I wanted it....now I just need to hide a few fopas with the moss....which I was going to plant anyhow.... SW Water Tank hatch 2
  • I like the hatch. And you are right, moss could cover up any blemishes that you don't like.

I've found a variety of critters over the years. Some in 1:48 some in 1:35. Usually when I get a batch, only about 1/2 are usable with the rest looking out of scale. Some neat stuff coming out with 3D printing. Do occasional searches and stuff will pop up.
  • Art, Nice color on the tank. I like the discoloration under the turnbuckles. \Great hatch now you can clean out all those dead birds and rats.
  • I was at the point last night of making it a flat top closed tank....I sat and stared at it at about 1am.......thinking....I should have went to bed 2 hours ago....I was tired but determined to get stuff done...and being tired...I made my error...I'm not entirely happy with some of the results....I'm going to do a little moss application ( I was going to do a bit on both roofs anyhow ) and see if that makes me feel any better about it....all I can say...is Brett gives you great well thought out directions...read and follow them all
  • looks good Art. You have a solid looking construct there to work wit
  • Thanks Ken, going to let it sit for a day before I go back to it.....working on details and getting the walls done and the stuff glued down to the foam base...
  • Been hard to get into the shop....and the mood.....Trade Center sinus issues are making it hard to keep working with the ensuing headaches from looking thru the magnifiers...But I did get some of the shelf units and such pretty far along...need to dull up with some chalk and a wash or two....once that happens I can glue up the floor, walls and tank and move on....SW Water Tank Details further
  • edited December 2022
    And after a little more touch up and adjustment....the top view of the hatch with the hinges...they also need some chalk and I'm working on a handle for the hatch....maybe even a hasp and a lock.....
  • edited December 2022
    Looking good Art, the details are coming along nicely and the grey on the shingled roof looks great to me.
    A little side note, don't get too hasty on gluing the shed walls down yet, there is a reason for the process, so, just follow the manual steps and you'll be OK.
    Great work so far, I'm really liking the finish on the compressor and the air tank.
  • Even though my construction seems to be off track....I'm actually at that point to glue down the floor and get the walls up. I was brainstorming the battery placement for the lights and I think I came up with a good idea....which I will reveal once I get to that point....my biggest concern is layout placement....I have the foam prepared....just waiting for one more surprise to arrive in the mail....
  • And...I have to work out some detail placement since the rear of the structure is going to be hard to really see everything. I am open to suggestions....I don't want to hide anything....