visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• Just the 3D parts collection is a bargain at the price of the entire kit!
  • KKarns said:

Just the 3D parts collection is a bargain at the price of the entire kit!

Amen brother... very well said!
  • admin said:

I think I'm insane putting that many castings in one kit...

I'm only on box 1, just wait until you see whats in box 2.... oh, nm, haha

Thanks Emery, damn straight Ken.

• edited October 2022
    Thanks Randy,
    I carefully put the "sticked & pic'd" details in the box and carry them outside.
    I dont spray them on foam as the spray paint would eat through it.

I then take the stick or pick out of the box one by one and spray them with the finish required. They are then stuck into foam to dry and be readily available.
    Outside (use in well ventilated area) after spraying base coats.

Back on the bench safely ready for the next steps. "spray & play"

Time for me to shoot a game or two and get focused, maybe more later.

• Wow, so many details. What a great kit. You've got your work cut out for you. Great start.
  • edited October 2022
    Incredible. What great progress and if this all is painted it should be very impressive Karl. I never realized the amount of castings in this kit. There’s just so much to look at.
  • admin said:

I think I'm insane putting that many castings in one kit...

Hah, just joking. I will never skimp on castings to save time or $$. There's nothing worse than buying a kit and finding a teeny, tiny baggie with 5 poorly produced casting inside!

I agree.... my wife was kind enough to get me some off topic kits for our anniversary (one had sentimental value to it.... )but I am so used to yours, that there was some shock at how little there was!

• oh man, that's a boatload of details!
  • edited October 2022
    Wow! That's a lot of great castings! Looking forward to your painting and weathering of them, and placement in and on the diorama.
  • We’ll be watching for you to account for every single one in the diorama!
  • edited October 2022
    Karl

I agree with that wonderful smell of the resin castings. It would be a shame if that was not there.

Frank
  • I know what you mean. When I opened my box I could barely ge whiff of resin. Randy
  • Those will keep you busy for a while
  • Thanks so much for your comments guys, it sure is a boatload of beauty.
    Indeed Bryan, quite a while I'm thinking, I'll start to get to work on them tomorrow, hopefully.
    I'll start with the basics and go on from there, definitely lots to work on.
  • Karl, you are doing a great job once again. I wouldn't mind all those castings. It's all in the details they wrote in the newspaper. So it must be true... :)
  • Thanks Robert, definitely plenty in the details with Brett's kits, and a lot more too.

A whole week later after priming the details and I finally made some time this evening to get started on the first basic steps of getting them ready.

Still much more to come.
  • shelving units look terrific!
  • Looking good...love the colour choices....
  • I’m in the process of preparing shelving units for Foss’ Landing. I’m going to post this last pic on my workbench. This is what I’m after!
  • Shelve turned out GREAT! I love working with Brett's shelving details. I think they really add a lot to a scene.
  • Nice progress Karl. Wonderful wood color.
  • Looks great Karl. Great color choices. Thanks.
  • Karl I really like the color of the shelves themselves. To me it looks like wood. I know you still have more to do on and I am looking forward to your magick. Randy
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks guys, these pieces are such a joy to work with. Wish I had a little more 'bench' time right now.
    I got a couple of hours today so I added the next layer to some of the details. These ones are ready to be put aside until final touches when they are installed.

Gotta love the crisp, sharp detail in Brett's resin shelf castings...
    I don't know how he can do it, but, I am so glad he can...

Looking at them all on my desk, that's about 10% of box 1 completed, I'll have some time to work on the wooden crates, boxes and other wooden items tomorrow, hopefully.

• Just doing some priming of my stuff tonight....not too happy with Krylon camo tan....so I called it quits for tonight.....
  • Sorry you weren't happy Art, I did mine with the Krylon khaki, no problems.
  • edited October 2022
    Well, I got bored watching TV so, I chalked up some of the crates and a few other things with base colours.

After that I put the base layers down on the awesome Fordson tractor radiator, amazing detail on this part.

• Looking good Karl......not sure with the paint....It just looked too thick....even after a lot of shaking....going down to the shop in a bit and look in on it....
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks Art,

A painters tip regarding spray cans for you....

if the temperature is low/cold where the can is stored, stand it in a bowl of warm water to warm the can up.
    This will make the paint less viscous and it will spray a much finer mist and go on much thinner and smoother.

I'm not sure what temp it is in your shop, but this may help you out with a better result if it's cool/cold out there.
  • Excellent work on the wood cabinets...and all others for that matter.