visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• edited October 2022
    Kudos to Karl. Just fantastic modeling. The stationary drill is a show stopper for certain
    An amazingly realistic capture of an extraordinary detail. Kudos to the creator of the stationary drill.
    Later, Dave S, Tucson, AZ
  • So noted...the drill looks good as it is.....love the coloration on all of the details including the drill....I'm near the same process and photos are coming
  • Thanks Tom, Dave and Art, much appreciated.
    I cant believe after getting such a good result on the drill I missed the extra board behind it, I did give it a little 'wiggle' earlier with an exacto blade to see if it will 'pop-off' , but, I decided I'm not going to risk it, I'll make sure to read the instructions more carefully in the future pages.

So I spent some time this afternoon building and detailing the door for this wall, then I added the shelf unit to the wall and the individual details on top of it. I also glued on the outstanding water cooler detail for that scene.

There will be many more details added around the shelf on the floor later in the build, also a table will be built to go under the water cooler further 'down the line' with more details to create a full scene.

For now, here is a quick mock up with a few, as yet unfinished details.

Time to move on to the next manual page and the second wall.

Pictures later if I make any progress on this tonight...
  • Well I made some progress but got distracted with a movie or two.
    I'll finish it up tomorrow, hopefully.

• Nice work Karl........
  • What great work. I love the drill press and the locker. Man they look so real. The shelving and the details really bring this entire scene to life. And you've just begun with this detailing. George.
  • Stellar job as usual Karl.....I like the concept of the open shelf casting too....the ability to put what you wish up there, but Brett always finds the right amount of stuff with great detail too...
  • Beautiful work Karl..love the C clamps and crow bar hanging from the window!
  • Karl, a nice use of the crates and bottles. Also I see the square hanging from the shelf a real life detail. Good work as always. Randy
  • Nice! Are those empty Corona's yours?
  • Excellent! Those 3D Printed c-clamps. Who woulda thought?
  • Karl, your junk is done very well.
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks so much for the great support and comments everyone, it's always great to have you all joining in my threads and reading your thoughts.
    Brett's incredible scene composition skills along with his incredible details make modeling such a pleasure.

After reviewing the current manual page again the only other thing to be added at this stage is the hanging jacket on the side of the cabinet. The rest of the details will be added later during construction.

So, I added the jacket.

And that completes the initial stages for these first two walls.

So, time to put them up on the shelf safely until they are needed later.

The next steps in the manual are to epoxy the stone walls together and then paint them.

Luckily I epoxied them together pre-emptively last night so they are good and cured for tonights steps.

Time to get these primed and ready for paint. After priming I'll probably leave them alone for an hour or so before finish paint.
    Luckily there is enough around here in the office for me to keep me occupied and get into 'trouble' with while I'm waiting....
    More later, maybe...

(You know it Tom, I've got to have a few 'C's to get the creative juices flowing...)
  • edited November 2022
    Well I got a little sidetracked with another project, and, the paint still feels a little soft/tacky on these walls, so, as the manual states.... "Allow to dry thoroughly"
    I might just be leaving these to dry overnight before any further progress.

I followed the steps in the manual and I am really happy with them at this point.
    My plaster did get a little too thick too quickly so I had to spray the corners with water to keep it soft and wipe the excess off with a damp cloth and then clean out some of the mortar lines.
    But, this was to be expected considering all the variables involved, a little extra time spent gave me a result that I'm really happy with. A relatively quick and easy process.

• Nice progress....I let my prime cure overnight too...it stayed tacky for quite a while....don't want fingerprints...
  • karl, your joints look great. you did a great job with the plaster. Randy
  • Great progress.
  • Looks great Karl. Seams look to be quite perfect.
  • the level of realism that you attain with every build is so impressive. those loaded shelves on the side of the locker are unbelievable.
  • edited November 2022
    Love the walls sitting in front of the computer...motivation at hand!
  • Those details are exceptional! Your stone wall corners turned out GREAT! Can't wait to see how you color them.
  • Hey Karl, I love the jacket. You did a great job highlighting the creases. And the interior details are superb. The walls look great. Isn't it amazing how the walls go together and you can't even see the seams? You don't get any better than that. George
  • Thanks for the compliments guys, great to read you all following along, it sure keeps me motivated.

Work over for the day and time to make some progress on these beauties.

I'll be following the manual on the technique completely but, as I already have a few other stone walled structures, (RRCamp, BlueSky, etc..) I want them to be similar colors, same area, same stone, theory.
    So, I need to look back for the colours I used on those and then get to work on these walls tonight.
  • edited November 2022
    As mentioned my colouration is greyer than Brett's due to my colour choice to match my existing structures.
    But the process was the steps from the manual.

Next step will be the brickwork, this will be a new one for me so I'm interested to see my results.

Time to have a beer and mow the leaves, maybe more later.
    Thx for all the comments.
  • That looks great, very impressive. Great idea to jot down the colors you've used so you can refer back to a past build to recreate the same colors. I never know what I did in the past.
  • edited November 2022
    Thanks Jim, appreciated.
    if only I was organized enough to 'jot' things down...
    Luckily I was able to go back to my old build threads on those structures and get what I needed from my posts. Thats my way to make notes... ;-)
  • Even better. Your willingness to teach others, helps you down the road too. Win/win.
  • Love the color and looks like quarried limestone. Just enough variation to look natural, the brick work will really set it off nicely.
  • Those are the colors I wanted to go with too...lol...That really looks good so far. As for keeping track of paint and stain colors, I started to write them down in the manual. This time around I will on the inside back cover dab a color swatch and write down the colors.
  • Very convincing stonework