visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• Karl.A said:

A painters tip regarding spray cans for you....

if the temperature is low/cold where the can is stored, stand it in a bowl of warm water to warm the can up.
    This will make the paint less viscous and it will spray a much finer mist and go on much thinner and smoother.

Thanks for this tip Karl. I have had this issue with spray paint in the past. (not on models)

Very fine detail work on all the goodies here. Appreciate the pictures and how to tutorial. It really does help.
  • Thanks, the shop is in the basement, 65 degrees last night. The paint dried fine...I'm just so used to the Rustoleum brand....didn't lay down as I am used to. I used to paint cars in my youth....so I'm particular with my paint....lol
  • Well Karl again as always excellent work on the details. I am glad I saw the color pictures of your barrels. I can not believe the paint job you on the two barrels in the lower left of the second picture. Staves on the inside as well as the outside. Fantastic!! I have not primed my details yet so I was going to use khaki on the barrels. I just could not fathom painting something was going to be brown, black to start. I should have known better that Brett would not lead us astray. So I will rearrange my sticks tonight and put all the barrels with the other parts to be painted black. Thanks again Karl for your expertise. Randy
  • Great work on the details! those shelves turned out GREAT!
  • It's all in the details, and you're all in!
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks so much for all the comments as always guys, wonderful to have you all following along as I go. I appreciate you joining in.

Nothing much to show tonight, but, I have to admit I did deviate from the manual a little bit (not recommended) and added a little personal touch of my own to the wonderful locker...
    Luckily it will be hidden away on the interior and probably never seen again.

• MIght need to have this appear somewhere on my build
  • Mine also Karl. Randy
  • Cool locker. Despite your advice, I will deviate.
  • Karl, you sinner !!!!! Nice work though... :)
  • It's going to turn into a Where's Waldo during a build.....it could show up anywhere....
  • Just about finished with box 1 and almost time to move to the next stage...

• Box 1? Holy crap. Nicely done, everything looks great.
  • Nice! Love the labels.
  • A fantastic job Karl. and so fast it takes me forever to Paint the details. You must have really sanded the labiles down very then. They look painted on. A question, did you spray gloss on the bottles already or are you going to "fill" them first? Thanks Randy
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks Jim, indeed, it is an amazing collection/selection. I dont think I need anything out of box 2 in order to move forward with the actual construction as many of these need to go into the interior walls during that process, but, I'll need to check the manual to be sure.

Thanks Tom, I feel they make a lot of difference and add to the depth of a scene when placed.

Thanks Randy, I spent 15-30 mins after work each night this week working on a selection at a time, that way , for me it seems to go quickly and I can stay focused.
    I actually forgot to dig out Bretts sign sheet, I'll do that later when I go inside and replace any I need to. These are just my own, simply printed on paper and glued on, un-sanded, but, there are tricks ;-)

The clear bottles are just glossed right now, I'll wait to fill and finish them when I figure out where they are going in the scenes.
  • Actually, I just realised, I do need to get the wall mounted drill and light fixture out of box two and finish them so that they can be mounted on the interior wall prior to construction.
    I'll double check if there is anything else I need too.
  • Beautiful detail work!
  • I’ve seen the bottle signage somewhere around here recently but I certainly don’t mind seeing it again…and again…
  • Thanks Ken, a high and appreciated compliment.
    Thanks Alan, some things just automatically deserve a re-run...
  • gorgeous details!
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks Kev.
    TomMich said:

Nice! Love the labels.

Along with the main sign sheet Brett also provides a 2nd sheet of small labels for the cans, bottles, etc.

I'm just so used to grabbing my big sheet of labels from my drawers I forgot to get Bretts sheet out of the kit box.
    Here it is.

• You did the cans proud with your own labels. Now you have the kit labels you can add elsewhere. Man that's an impressive amount of details! The galvanized cone tops on the cans are a nice touch.
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks Tom, the galvanised tops are like the ones I've seen out on jobs.
    Also something to note, for the ones with caps, I did the caps in 'silver' for stainless, it doesnt really show up in those pics,but,
    the silver shows off the amazing threads so well that are actually printed in the caps.

Here they are showing the threaded caps before finish painting.

• Just fantastic work on the details. So much to love. Amazing really, both the quality and quantity of details and you bring them up to an even higher level of realism.
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks so much Joel, great to hear from you buddy,

This morning I finished up the acetylene tanks, which means that that's the first set of details done.
    Next thing in the manual is to start detailing the interior walls with some of these beauties before moving forward with construction.

• edited October 2022
    Well, while I was clearing off the desk today from all the paints, chalks, brushes, etc from detail work I found another 'stick' of details I had put to one side for 'later' behind the paint bottles.
    So I finished them up quickly and continued getting the desk cleared for wall detailing and construction over the next few days.

Now, I REALLY do think that is the end of the castings from box 1... well, except for the exquisite collection of hand tools, the shovel, broom, etc, but I'm leaving those until diorama construction so that I don't lose any of those tiny suckers.
  • Wow Karl, these look awesome. I love the radiator, especially the way the name stands out. Man that is really cool. You've give me some great ideas. Thanks.
  • Unbelievable the number of beautiful 3D Parts in that kit! That wagon wheel detailing is off the charts cool...
  • KKarns said:

Unbelievable the number of beautiful 3D Parts in that kit! That wagon wheel detailing is off the charts cool...

no kidding!