visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• edited October 2022
    You got that right, also, thanks for noticing the wheel Ken,
    I tried to get it looking like an exterior wooden rim, and then with a steel 'tire' on the outer side of that rim to protect the curved wood, like it should be.
    I also tried to define the steel 'gromets' on the end of the wooden spokes to show that differing connection.
    The center steel hub I obviously rusted (instead of greased) as the wheel is out of use and abandoned in the weeds.
    I'm a little disappointed that in the picture the rust colour looks very close to the wood colour, but hey, nobody's perfect and it will probably end up behind a shrub any way.
    I might add some peeled red to the spokes as I'm really not happy with them, we'll see.

Thanks Kev, you're really going to enjoy this one...
  • Wonderful progress. Details look fantastic!
  • Not only excellent work, but I have yet to figure out how you can do this so fast. I can be timed with a calendar.
  • Details are looking great Karl.....
  • edited October 2022
    Karl, I like the sink and the concrete blocks. The sink looks abandoned and rusty. The blocks are just the right color of gray. What color did you use? Randy
  • Thanks Randy, indeed, the sink will appear in a junk pile.
    Blocks are Ceramcoat "drizzle grey" craft paint, which is really light. The colour is darkened with black chalk dabbed on with a brush to get the texture/variation.
  • Thanks Karl for the Information. Randy
  • What I notice most Karl was how the outer metal band appears separate from the wood portion...just as it should...looks sweet!
  • Indeed Ken, good eye for the minutia, (of course).
    It's a beautiful piece with perfect detail, I'm glad I was able to show it.
  • I like those new cans a lot.
  • Super work on those details !!
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks Bryan and Robert.
    I opened box 2 earlier and just finished the two details out of there that I need for right now.

The hand cranked/operated, wall mounted Dill Press, which is such an amazingly highly detailed part, perfectly reproduced for this kit. Plus, the work light that sits on the wall above it.

Now I can start getting the walls detailed and ready to go together.
  • That drill press is awesome. What a great detail and I love the paint job.
    I got my kit today, looking forward to building it. I've been following your progress here. You're doing a fantastic job.
  • Love that drill
  • How cool is that! Beautiful finish work.
  • Karl, great colors on the drill. The bare metal on the wheels and gears looks well used and oily. It is a will used machine as there is little rust as it should be. Randy
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks so much Jim, Bryan, Ken and Randy, it's an amazing piece.

Finally made some time today after work, cleaned up and made some more space on the desk and now ready to move on with some actual progress.

Torrential rain this evening, so, more pics as it happens...
  • edited October 2022
    Before work this morning I epoxied the two main cabinets to each wall and held them in place to dry through the day.

First thing tonight was to cut the bracing for the Drill and glue on the shelves for the cabinet and wall. Also to colour and glue in place the lasercut braces for the shelves.

While that was drying I figured I'd make a quick post.

• Love the shelf brackets. Locker is a nice touch and nicely chipped and weathered.
  • The brackets are a great little detail Ken, they add a subtle depth and 'reality' to the shelves, a great addition.
    I have this wall finish detailed now except for adding the drill & light to the bracing to close out this section.
    I was thinking I'll epoxy the drill to the wall as it is so exquisite and fragile... sure, only a 2 minute step, but I've been thinking if I get the epoxy out again now, I might as well epoxy the stone walls together while I have it infront of me.
    Spent an hour thinking about it so, I guess I might as well just go ahead and do it.
    After all, it could have all been done and finished by now... haha
  • edited October 2022
    Several of the bottles, cans and items added to the shelves.

Once the epoxy on the light fixture was dry enough I inverted the wall to try and make sure the fixture didn't sag while the epoxy was fully curing.

I tried to copy Kevin's awesome result on the fire extinguisher that he shared in the 3D detail thread, (Page15), I came kinda close, but, I'll need to put some more effort into it to match his.

I also messed up the chalk finish on the drill and light fixture due to handling and holding them in place while the epoxy dried, but that's an easy fix and I know better than putting a chalk finish on something that's going to be further handled anyway, but, I wanted to show them off earlier.

More tomorrow...
  • Karl, an excellent use of details on this scene. Looking forward to your adding this wall to the others. Randy
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks Randy, much appreciated and great to read your comment.
    I'm just copying the pictures in the manual and using the details in the scenes shown there, so, all the credit goes to Brett.

Next wall tomorrow...
  • Insanity. This is awesome. I really cannot find the words to tell you how impressed I am!
  • Excellent detail work...That drill press is wonderful, as is the entire scene...and that's just one wall!
  • Incredible wall scene.
  • Thanks so much for your great comments Jeroen, Ken and Bryan.
    It's much easier for me to follow Brett's great instructions and ideas than coming up with things myself.
  • edited October 2022
    CORRECTION .... I ERRED

When mounting the drill press I should have first mounted the drill to a vertical board and then mounted this to the wall. To create a solid base for the drill.

I'm not going to try and pry mine off now and redo it as it is such a fragile piece.

Just something to watch out for if you are following along before building your own.
    The process is detailed in item 6 on page 33, I got ahead of myself and missed it.
  • Great scene with a lot of neat details. The missing piece on the drill press mount is not noticed. Love all the details.