visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

edited September 2022 in O Scale Builds
I got home from work tonight to find a parcel on my front porch bench that didn't have an Amazon logo on it.

In my world that can only mean one thing, Brett's newest and latest kit from SierraWest had arrived and my life had just got a whole lot better. My tired steps away from the car instantly lifted and I had new found energy. I grabbed the box, opened the door and eagerly rushed inside to (carefully) tear it open.

Here's what I found inside.....

A larger and heavier box than I was expecting but still with the impressive photo label to show me what treasure was stuffed inside.

As always the items inside the main box are impeccably packed for protection and presentation, also, as usual with a SierraWest kit there is very little spare space in the box.

Carefully removing the items from the box to review them reveals many layers of multiple items.
Strip wood, laser products, full size templates, another amazing manual, miscellaneous items, and of course the gold standard of TWO boxes of detail parts.

The first bag I opened was the main laser cut components, this contains the laser cut stud walls, the sub base for the tank itself and a couple of other useful items.

Next to open was the miscelaneous bag containing jigs, chain, styrene, labels, the tank roof, to name a few, but also even more.

Time to get into the bigger of the two casting boxes. The large box is filled, two bags of castings, mostly 3d printed with a few metal parts and also the large, exquisite resin castings of the shelf and storage pieces. I removed the shelves and opened the first bag.... Wow, thats alot of details, all specific for the kit and way too many to list, obviously they'll be shown in datail later in the thread.

The second bag again is filled with a bounty of incredible parts,and, in no small number !!!

I carefully packed the large box of casting back up to keep everything together and then moved on to the second smaller box of details. This box contains the more fragile, intricate and specific details.

Each group of parts is separated for protection and ease for the modeller, I had to look at these closer and marvel at them out of the bags. These delicate parts should be returned to their respective bags until needed later to ensure they are protected.

Temporarily opening each bag reveals the absolutely amazing parts inside. Simply incredible. I didn't open the 'spout' bag as it also has several bags inside it with even smaller parts inside them, that one can wait until I need it.
The other bags contained the parts for the Hand Truck, Portable Air Tank, Oil Tank on Stand, Wall Mounted Drill, Oil Crate with Handle, and of course the large bag for all the components to build the incredible Handcar for the repair scene.

Last, but in no way least to look at are the amazing resin cast walls to build the Water Tank base. The resin walls fit together perfectly and the detail captured in the resin is amazing. Perfectly flat and no flaws anywhere in the castings.

Time for me to clear this bench and get started on this amazing new kit from Brett.

Comments

• Wow....everything looks so kool...the details are outstanding.....Now I can't wait for mine to show up on my porch....
  • Very cool Karl. I hope you start a build thread soon.
  • Jim M said:

Very cool Karl. I hope you start a build thread soon.

I just did, you're in it... ha
  • Can't wait
  • Oh my…. That is just beautiful. Lucky man, I probably will have to wait a while given the fact that I’m overseas. I’m sure you will turn this into something special and I’m going to follow this all the way. And thanks for the sneak preview!
  • Excited to follow along! Thank you for starting this build thread.
  • edited September 2022
    hot doggity dog!
  • Karl seems to get more done by accident than I do all day.
  • Wow, what a kit Brett...well done.
  • There's a LOT of really nice details in that kit! Looking forward to the build Karl!
  • kebmo said:

hot doggity dog!

er...what i meant to say was, hot diggity dog!
    at any rate, i want a good seat for this one. down in front (and get off my lawn)!
  • EmeryJ said:

Karl seems to get more done by accident than I do all day.

isn't that the truth?

• Congratulations Brett! The components in this kit look superlative! I can't wait to see those tank house stone walls. I didn't expect the number of incredible castings included in the kit. I received my updated tracking notice today and it looks like Christmas comes early on Monday for me. I can't wait to get started on my own build of this kit. I need to get busy this weekend on the tool shed so I can be ready to add the water tank to my diorama.

Karl - Thank you for starting this build thread. Your work always sets such a high bar. I'm looking forward to seeing your artistry shine on this build.
  • i really wish i had room for it but theres just no way i could squeeze it in.
    damn. these kits are addictive....
  • My situation is I have started and bounced from one SW kit to the next......I have a started sawmill....started O'Neills.....started woodcutters shack.....a foundry that is as far I can go with until the next installment....a nearly finished Truck repair and Tractor repair....along with a tool shed, rigging shed....and a shack or two also in stages of being built......but I have made up my mind that once I get this kit....I will bring it to a finished state....and it (allegedly) will be combined with a few other SW kits on a module section of the layout....but I'll actually finish this build...
  • My situation is I have started and bounced from one SW kit to the next......I have a started sawmill....started O'Neills.....started woodcutters shack.....a foundry that is as far I can go with until the next installment....a nearly finished Truck repair and Tractor repair....along with a tool shed, rigging shed....and a shack or two also in stages of being built......but I have made up my mind that once I get this kit....I will bring it to a finished state....and it (allegedly) will be combined with a few other SW kits on a module section of the layout....but I'll actually finish this build...

you've got your work cut out for you and we can't wait to see it!

• Wow Karl what a fantastic looking kit. I am anxiously waiting for my copy but I'm excited to follow along and see what you do with it.
  • Karl, I too am looking forward to seeing you build this kit. I have one ordered and my O scale friend has a spot for it on his layout. Randy
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks for all the great comments, interest and support guys. It's going to be another excellent build with new things to discover and learn along the way as always.

I spent this morning finally clearing the desk, (and under the desk), sheesh...

I skipped the preparatory step of spray painting the tissue for tarpaper and the interior of the stone walls, but got them out ready and will do them when it cools down a little outside to 95 or so...

I then moved on to section one in the manual of graining and staining the stripwood for siding for the shed and colouring the laser cut framing.
    Now that that is done I'll move on to siding the walls after I've stained the wood for the interior wall a different colour as per the manual, and also the wood for door and window trim.

• Hey Karl:
    I've been waitin' for this. I got my kit but I wanted to see how the pros do it as you guys always have new creative ideas. Along with Brett's outstanding tutorials and his manuals, you always come up with something unique and different. I wanted to see what you do before starting mine. I can't wait to see what you do. Thanks for sharing, my man.
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks Grant,
    all of the new and creative ideas will be directly from the manual, and, there are a lot of them...
    Once again Brett doesn't fail in pushing the boundaries, raising the bar, and, keeping us all moving forwards on our modeling journey, whatever stage we are at.

As this is an 'official build' I will be following the manual page by page and the processes on those (many) pages, step by step, to show how amazing this kit is and how accessible the end result is.

Years ago, the conception of 'official' builds was to show that by following the manual anyone can build a model that looks like the picture on the box. That is what we all want and what I will try to show.
    This build is to showcase not only the finished model, but also the excellence in the instruction, the guidance, the unrivaled quality of the components in the box and the ability for all of us to get the results we want...

• running out to get some orville redenbacker. i'mll be right back.
  • Nice start Karl. Looking forward to your build on this one.

Jerry
  • Looking forward to this Karl….HO or O scale, there’s always something to learn from one of your builds
    (Yelling) hey Kev, get a couple diet cokes also

Terry
  • edited September 2022
    Did you make it back yet Kev .... ? Thanks Jerry and Terry, great to see you here.

You've just got to love Brett's incredible laser cut framing... so, so good, and appreciated by us modellers.

Not only does Brett laser cut the wall framing main shape he also etches in all the stud ends and joints and where there are 'double studs' he etches the line between the studs to show the framing as realistically as possible.

It's an amazing and beautifully easy way for us to model stud walls.
    SierraWest innovation at the top of the game.

So much easier and quicker than building up the framing for the modeller, and also, so much more accurate for a perfect result.

• Looking good Karl. With your modeling speed, I kind of thought you'd be done by now. Lol

Kevin, ditto on your assessment of the Bears game. Embarrassing win but better than a loss.
  • Nice update, and the wall framing is such a great SWSM feature as you mentioned. Look forward to the wood work that’s coming!
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks Jim and Ken,
    I'm taking it slow 'n' easy Jim, and enjoying the journey.
    First steps are done Ken, I'm keeping it subtle for this one.
    kebmo said:

carry on

Yes sir, will do.

I got the basic siding done on the wall framing, a little extra detailing and weathering of the wood to follow.
    Also last night after it had cooled down and it was comfortable out in the garage I base coloured the inside of the stone walls and the 'tar paper' sheets with spray paint in preparation for later steps in the manual.

018 a
    018 b

It is now definitely beer o'clock, and the grass needs cutting.
    Time for some sunshine and fresh air.
  • Come on man...close up of those walls. From back here they look terrific! lol.
  • Thanks,
    all in good time Ken, close up's tomorrow,
    depending on my work day.