visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• Thank you for the play by play Karl. You are so right about the laser cut wall frames especially the additional laser cut detail. They add so much to the model without the tedious work of building the frames board by board. They also provide a nice base for any small modifications one may want to make in door or window layout.
    It will be great to watch you build this "by the instructions" but with great modeling skill. Just the variety yet overall uniformity of the individual board siding in the last picture, could be a modeling class by itself. Looking forward to every step of this build.
  • This kit looks a beauty. Excellent build log and I will follow with interest.
    regards.
    Malcolm
  • You are making speedy progress
  • Outstanding start here! (Well more than a start.)
  • Karl,
    This looks great. Your tutelage is a big help to review before I build mine. Things are looking great.
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks for all the responses, Steve, Malcolm Bryan, Brett and Grant, great to have you all joining in and feeding back.

Section One of the manual completed and all of the little check boxes for the steps 'ticked off'.
    Still much more work to do on the walls by following the future manual pages, but, the basics are done.

The middle wall is a different colour due to it being an interior wall.
    I also weathered the door slightly more than the exterior walls because, I figured the walls would be semi protected by the eaves, but, as the door would be swung open 90% of the time it would have no protection and therefor exposed to the elements constantly....

I didn't do any board breaks or additional weathering to the bottom four boards of the two main walls as they will be completely hidden by the plethora of details included in the kit.
    However, once the structure is glued down to the base I'll probably blend them down into the dirt and maybe darken the bottom edge a little just incase any of it 'peeks' through, but I doubt it will.

These next two pics are very closely accurate of the real colours, at least on my screen.

Time to get outside in the fresh air and enjoy a refreshment or two. Maybe a little more modelling later.
  • Excellent color and texture on the boards
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks Bryan, a very valued opinion.
    That last super close up picture (for Ken) makes the boards look really rough and coarse on my screen.
    In reality they are super smooth and I even used my technique to polish them with a piece of paper to get the subtle shine. I guess I need to figure out this new phone/camera a little more, or maybe it's my screen setup on this new PC.
    Either way they look great in person and that's what counts. Thanks again.
  • Superb walls Karl!...that close up will weed out all but the best wood work...well done. Nice contrast on the less weathered interior wall.
  • edited September 2022
    that looks good sir. very good.
    man, i want this kit....
  • Patiently waiting for mine to arrive....I already have a few things in mind for a very minor variation that will become evident once I start my build....as I stated earlier....I am hell bent on taking this thru to completion....everything is off the workbench save for tools and chalks....loving your progress too....I was lucky enough to acquire an original CHB Denver hand car that will make an appearance while we wait for the 3D one....a hint on the variation....a few more related SW structures on the foam board...

• Incredible how quickly and accurately you work! Like Ken looking forward to some great close ups.
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks Joel, high and appreciated praise, but I'm taking it easy, though I do have an idea for a thread coming soon. Hopefully it will make one of our members happy.
    Joel said:

Like Ken looking forward to some great close ups.

Dang, if I get any closer than that last pic the model will need to be inside my phone/camera... hahaha

• edited September 2022
    Thanks for the input Ken, Kevin and Art.

A great compliment from you Ken, many thanks. I followed the manual for the colour difference, and it worked out perfectly.

Thanks Kev, glad you like it so far.
    kebmo said:

....man, i want this kit....

Just order it man, you know you want to, and you know you'll find a place for it. You also know you'll regret it if you don't.

Thanks Art, stay patient, I know Brett is working down the list on these like crazy and getting them out the door as fast as possible, along with everything else.
    I cant wait to see what you do with it, especially as you have bumped it to the top of your build list. I'm looking forward to following your thread/build of this great kit.
  • Walls turned out GREAT! The texture, color variation and even the damaged boards are right on!
  • Thanks Tom, I really appreciate that.

I finished work early so I decided to move on with section two in the manual. Adding the tarpaper to the wall interiors. I wasn't looking forward to this, however the instructions as always, are clear and straightforward making it a simple and painless operation.

Cut the previously painted tissue paper into strips.
    Cut the strips into sections.
    Glue the sections to the walls between the studs.

First wall done and still wet glue.
    I did add a few tears for interest but kept it subtle.
    I'll do the other three walls now while that one dries. When all walls are dry I can add weathering and blending.
  • That looks great. You're doing the kit proud
  • edited September 2022
    kebmo said:
    ....man, i want this kit....
    karl said:
    Just order it man, you know you want to, and you know you'll find a place for it. You also know you'll regret it if you don't.

you're right i would. being on a fixed income now, i'm gonna have to save up for it. about a third of the way there as of today.

[karl's like the little devil on my shoulder...order it man!]
  • Nice update Karl. More peer pressure..."get the kit Kevin!"
  • Thanks Jim, SierraWest kits always seem to bring out some of my best work...

Haha Kev, I guess I'm a bad influence, but in a good way ...

I'll need to let these walls dry for a while now, I'm really happy with how they came out.
    The white is no where near as bright as it seems on my screen, it's more like the last pic, and still even duller.
    Maybe because they're wet, but, chalk weathering is still to come yet any way.

• edited September 2022
    Thanks Ken, it was a surprisingly relaxing process, utilizing Betts excellent instruction and templates.
  • Wow Karl, the tarpaper really looks great. Superb job. I love it.
  • Look forward to the weathering...
  • Thanks Grant I'm real happy with the results so far.
    I'm out working in the yard right now while giving the walls time to dry.
    Once dry I'm looking forward to chalking them up little,
    after that, the next step in the manual is adding the windows.
  • edited September 2022
    You and me both Ken, good to have you following along.
  • Tarpaper has a nice faded look
  • Hey Karl, I am quietly following along on your magical build. Great job as usual.
  • Looks great. I love the finish you got on the tarpaper. let me guess "just following the instructions".
  • Tomorrow has come and gone! And Karl is sitting back having a cold one saying I wonder if I made them wait long enough yet!!

Jerry
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks so much, Bryan, Steve, and Joel, I'm guessing it looks better on your screens than mine...
    Thanks Bryan, the technique yields that effect beautifully, and I haven't even done anything to it yet.
    Dont be so quiet Steve, we all love to hear from you, and of course that also prompts the other 'quiet guys' to join in too, the more the merrier. Great to hear from you and thanks so much for the compliments.
    Thanks Joel, so glad you like it, and yes, I'm "just following the instructions" ... to the letter. If we want the results, we follow the steps/manual.