visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• Karl this is my favourite part of any kit and you are killing it. You might be copying the scene from a master but you are doing it incredibly well. Inspiring modelling for sure, thank you.
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks Ken and Joel, great to hear from you both and read your support.
    There won't be any progress on this tonight, I need to clean the kitchen and then take the Porsche for a cruise along the California coastal highway...

Maybe more progress tomorrow...
  • Karl.... you live in California?
  • I'm in Mississippi Mike, it was a driving sim joke... it was funny in my head... ha
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks so much Tom, that's certainly a high and appreciated compliment.

I've been busy at work the last few days and other things on my mind so no real progress to show on the build.
    However, I did realise that although I had the handcar in the back of a few previous pics I never really gave it the viewing it deserves.
    It's an amazing piece and pretty much falls together, and of course, it's a focal point of the whole dioramic scene.

So, here are are a few older pics of it 'in progress' to show a few angles, it's not finished yet but getting close. I'll finish it off once it gets installed.

I'm really looking forward to giving it the final touches.

• Very nice indeed!!

Jerry
  • Unmatched level of detail. Kudos to both you and Brett.......Rick
  • Love the boards.....coloring looks spot on....
  • That car is really cool Karl.
  • that is cool as hell......
  • wonderful detail!
  • Very Nice!
  • Bummer I was gonna say if you were in the so cal area we could meet up maybe.
  • Thanks for the great comments guys, it's a wonderful piece that really brings the whole scene together.

I started on the scrap wood scene but decided I had so much stuff on the bench I needed a quick tidy up before moving forwards as I was spending more time looking for things than anything else.

So, here's a quick look around the dio and where I am up to as of now. The main roof is also done, but I left it off for now.

As highly detailed as it already is there are still plenty of details to be used before I'm finished. I consolidated most of them onto fewer sticks and there are also a few more still to do...

So that's where I'm at, more as it happens.

Mike, driving that coastal road is on my list 'to do' one day in real life, I'll let you know when that happens.
  • The drainage pipe surely will eventually show some water flowing, right? I mean, an empty, dry pipe? LOL
  • I can't believe there are that many detail parts left to add. Surely most other kits offered don't even have this many parts in the entire box.
    Love your work and looking forward to seeing the placement of these final gems.
  • Love your detail work!
  • Superb craftsmanship in all respects! Beautiful piece to study and soak in all the wonderful details.
  • So many paret and so little space. Great work Karl. I see you have nail holes in the hand car boards a nice touch. Randy
  • edited December 2022
    Later Alan, I'm still working on the early stages...

Thanks so much Joel, Tom, Ken and Randy... we all know by now that Brett never skimps on details or quality, but this one is next level, appreciate the comments on my work of these masterpieces.
    randyp said:

I see you have nail holes in the hand car boards a nice touch. Randy

Thanks Randy, I think it adds an effect to the overall feel.
    On the hand car I used something a little bigger than my usual for nail heads, to represent carriage bolt heads as the boards are bolted down to a metal frame.
    I did however add smaller nail heads/holes to all of the pallets...

Dang, those pallet close ups are 'super' close... it does look like I missed a board end though... haha ... oh well.

Also on the sawhorses though they are harder to see as they are weathered heavier...

Not forgetting the pile of old ties.
    Because they are old ties I added the rust marks where the rails had been removed, the oil down the middle of the ties from when they were in use. I also added in the holes where the spikes would have been.

When you look for it I think it all makes a subtle but effective difference to the overall scene and effect.

Because Brett's kits are always so far above any other in quality, I always like to put in that extra step and effort to try and do them justice.
  • Fantastic modelling. The colour tones are 1st rate. I have very much enjoyed reading all your posts and the encouraging & knowledgeable comments.
    regards
    Malcolm
  • Thanks so much for your comments Malcom, great to read you are enjoying the thread. It's always a motivation to hear from the readers and know that they are enjoying what I post.
  • Karl...you are setting the bar high as usual....I'm going to school on what you are doing....getting some good ideas on coloration and tones.....just moving along slowly...
  • Thanks so much Art, glad you're getting some ideas.
    As long as we're moving along that's all that matters.
  • I can't get over the quality of those new printed details. The empty boxes, crates, look so much better with the right thickness of the planks. Great scenes on your diorama Karl. Nice work....... Again :)
  • edited December 2022
    I have fallen in love. What a kit. And the way you are building it up Karl… it leaves me speechless. This is so very inspiring, and it brings back that true feeling of what modelling is. I bow my head Sir for what you are achieving and showing us here. Magnificent!
  • all the superlatives apply. what a fantastic job on an equally fantastic kit that i have to find a way to add to my stash somehow....
  • "clutter" scenes at its finest.