visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• Excellent attention to detail. I noticed what appears to be a custom lid to one of the bins/boxes up against the wall. Nice touch.
  • Thanks for all the great comments everyone really appreciated.
    Thanks Bryan, well spotted, indeed the lid for the toolbox is made from strip wood and added as per the manual.

• Really enjoy the close up pics of your detail work. They are inspiring and full of great ideas. I agree the quality of SW kits does inspire one to make the extra effort to create the best model possible.
  • What a great shot. That box is crazy good.
  • Thanks so much Tom and Ken, great to hear from you.

I got the first basic detail layer down on the last side of the structure and I'm really happy with how everything has come out this far.
    I've followed the manual to the letter and everything has been perfect.

I added a puddle of rain water into the flat tire and then a weed growing in the water.
    You can't stop mother nature, she'll always come back and take over.

I'm about ready to go back around and start adding all the smaller details,
    that can wait until tomorrow.
  • Karl, you have done it again. Your details are very well thought out, and you say your not done yet. WOW, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Just amazing. As always but still....incredible work.
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks so much Steve and Joel.

I added a few more details while I still had a little puddle of wet glue on my desk, waste not, want not...

Placed the old tire,
    but looking at that pic now that I've posted it I'll need to adjust/rework it, I dont like it.

Placed the barrels around the front 'porch' ...

Added some sawdust and 'offcuts' on the ground around the saw horses for the decking scene ...

Well, my glue puddle is gone,
    more tomorrow.
  • edited December 2022
    ALCO said:

The drainage pipe surely will eventually show some water flowing, right? I mean, an empty, dry pipe? LOL

I hope the guy in the pump house shuts the pump down sometime soon,
    If he keeps on running it 24/7 that overflow pipe is going to flood my work bench...

Hopefully it will clear up some more overnight, but, I'm not sitting here any longer waiting for it to happen. If it does I'll take another pic tomorrow.
  • Karl the overflow pipe is a very nice detail to add to all the other details. How did you do the water? I agree the tire does not look like it is IN the scene. Great work. Randy
  • You're in the home stretch....Looking fantastic
  • I like the idea of the overflow pipe. It makes the diorama spill out of it's base...literally.

Fun detail with the water in the tire. Look out for skeeters.
  • Thanks for the running water, Karl! Now you need scale buckets to bail yourself out!
  • what are you using for the water?
  • edited December 2022
    I saw a tutorial somewhere (youtube, don't remember who did it), where they used a hot glue gun to make water coming out of a drain pipe similar to this. Looked pretty convincing on the video. Your mileage may vary, and I have not tried this myself yet.
  • edited December 2022
    Possibly Luke Towan, he does some great water effects and scenery effects. Also a great modeller all around and a vibrant youtube channel with many thousands of followers and great tips.
    Hot glue is good for large areas and waterfalls. but doesnt dry clear and is hard to control in small, specific scenes.
  • It might have been that Jason Jensen guy. I've been binge watching a lot of random builds lately as I'm getting close to getting back on the bench.
  • Karl how a bit of rust in that water...........
  • I did however add smaller nail heads/holes to all of the pallets...

What are you using to make the nail holes?

Jerry
  • edited December 2022
    Maybe next time Carl, too late for this one.

A sharp sewing needle in a small pin vise Jerry.

• edited December 2022
    Karl, this is a great idea. I dont think i ever woulda thought of that...

Thanks!
  • Well, I havent made any progress for the last few days due to being busy at work, and, a couple of other projects I'm working on.
    But I sat down at the desk and just looked at where my next steps were going to be,
    so, I thought I'd share my view...

I should be able to get back to more progress tomorrow, or the next day, hopefully...
  • Was my constructive criticism deleted? Buddy, the window mullions and muntins are WAY over scale. Accept the criticism and fix the problem.
  • Great update Karl. Love the color/weathering. Everything looks so good. Mighty fine work there.
  • This dio is so cool. All the details are incredible and you are doing a fantastic job. So much to see in a small space.
  • Looking great Karl....you're nearing the finish point....loving how it's all coming together. You are influncing a lot of my decisions....I'm building up to the point I need to decide how to keep all the details in view since the rear of the structure will be only visible from the sides...I have an idea.....counting on you and everyone here to throw in your 2 cents....I will lay it out on my thread by the weekend....once to glue goes down its down.....again...Very Nice Work my Friend...
  • Great update Karl. This is really looking good sir. Parts for days scattered around! Love it.
  • Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

I look forward to seeing what you have in mind Art.
  • Splendid work Karl, everything is coming together in splendid fashion. The clutter scenes are wonderfully done!
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks Ken, I think I'll do the tank spout and hardware next.
    Well, it's the next step in the manual so that's what is coming up.