visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• Karl, the photos turned out just fine. No need to fuss with those other toys. I love looking at your photos. Every time I look I see something else that's great.
  • Thanks so much guys, great to read all the comments, I'm really enjoying this build.

I made a little progress this evening on the rear corner and I'm really happy with the result so far.
    Now I just need to decide which way to go next... right to the oil scene, or, left to the scrap pile...
    But, that's for tomorrow, right now I need food.

• Karl, this is another amazing kit you bring to life. Fantastic details, ( one would buy the kit only for the awesome details in it ).. equal weathering and scene composition. And I am blown away with the speed you achieve all of this !!

Perhaps, is this more a question for Brett and feel free to place this in another category.

If this is modeled after a real water tank, I'd like to see a photo of this, if it exists..

Besides the fact that you've made a super master of the stonework, I can't get rid of the idea that it makes me think of the entrance of a medieval dungeon... :wink:

I also wonder what the purpose is of that short piece of rail inside. It doesn't have a connection with the main rails, so how does a small wagon, or whatever needs to be repaired gets from one to another.. Even when small, it must weigh to much to carry it.

Anyway, great work Karl..love it !!!
  • Have to agree with Jeroen. Just fantastic scenes, one after another. I hope you are lighting the interior as it would be a shame to miss all this
  • edited November 2022
    Robert, a lot of the old hand cars had a wooden frame work.....if you look at the ends...you can see the cut-outs that almost look like wheel barrow handles. 4 stout men could move one. I saw a real handcar shed in Pa. once that had a wee turntable to access the tracks.....history documents it caused more issues than it was worth....The stone building was meant to hold up the weight, and provide insulation to the pumps that may be present to pump the water up into the tank. In the north east such as up in Maine, a lot of the water tanks are fully enclosed in wood and well insulated.....
  • Karl, it's looking so good, I'm bummed I am not as far along as you....time is not my friend right now.....the weeds look so good in with the clutter....
  • edited January 2023
    Thanks Robert and Art, great to read you both.

I decided tonight to go to the 'oil scene'.
    In order to complete that, I needed to get out even more details from Box2 that were still unopened and unfinished.
    I just finished those two up ready for the next steps. I really love the raised lettering on the crate, amazing detail and so crisp/defined.

The details required out of the selection in box 'two' are the "Oil Tank on Stand" and the "Oil Bottle Crate"

More later...

• edited November 2022
    Time to eat and let the glue dry...

I might add the bottles, small details and final weathering after food, maybe...

• Excellent!
  • What a great scene. That Mobil crate is fantastic!
  • Raised lettering?! I thought you had added that…
  • Great Scenes! The fun really begins with adding details, and yours are GREAT! Lots of little scenes.
  • Wonderful detail work. Crate detail is mind numbing!
  • Thanks guys, really appreciate the replies.
    I figured quite a few of you would really like to see that awesome crate from Brett. That scene is about half done.

I'm going to chill out for an hour and watch a show, then after that I'll get back to this side view and then work my way around the corner.
    Well, that's the plan as long as the tornadoes don't take my power out, modelling by candlelight ain't happening.

Updates later...
  • Karl I like the oil bottle on the window ledge. Nice color on the shingles. Randy
  • edited November 2022
    Thanks Randy, I copied that bottle placement from the manual and pictures on the site from Brett's model.

There's going to be a lot more oil bottles lying around, especially in this scene. I'm going to add the bottles, hand tools, rags, etc later.
    I tried to get a better pic of the lettering on the crate, but, it's installed, it's tiny, my painting isn't perfect and, its tricky to get a focused shot of the minute lettering.

(Did you notice the screw threads inside the open gas can lid lip, awesome stuff...)

Anyway, I did some more work on this side and the basics are now done.

Now it's time to turn the corner to start the next scene.

• edited December 2022
    Karl, It looks great. That oil crate is beautiful. I hope I can get mine to look half as good. Randy
  • Exceptional as always Karl. Love how this is coming together. Hard to believe there is more detail to come......Rick
  • edited November 2022
    Thanks Randy, it's an amazing detail, I have faith in you... Thanks Rick, I'm loving it too.
    Bottles. hand tools and final 'finesse' remains to be done in this area, I like to leave that until the very end.

I didn't get as much done as I had hoped for, but, I'm hungry, so, it's a good stopping point for tonight.

More tomorrow.

• Great progress....looking great.....I was in the shop for 15 minutes last night....but the FD got busy.....down in the shop again....slow progress....
  • y ou're doing a bangup job on a fantastic kit. this looks beautiful!!!
  • The composition of the oil drum scene is just great, just right !! Like you said, AWESOME details... The rest looks pretty amazing too ...
  • Fantastic work. I love the new details and how you laid them out.
  • What incredible progress, everything looks so amazing. Weathering and coloring is so natural and well executed. Enjoying watching this come together with all the detailed scenes coming to life.
  • Breathtaking stuff. I already liked the painting of the structure but you paintwork on all this smaller details is just the cream on the pudding. Such great details, such refind paintwork. Part of me wants to see this finished, the bigger part of me is enjoying the process of creating this. Awesome work Karl. On a sidenote - is there a short description somewhere on how you do your groundwork? That's an area I definitely can improve and all help and suggestions are welcome. Keep up the cool work!
  • edited November 2022
    Thanks for all the great feedback Art, Kev, Robert, Bryan, Brett and Jeroen.
    Composition and detail placement is all copied exactly from the manual, so the credit all goes to Brett for that.

Here you go Jeroen...
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/244/dirt-details-dioramas-karl-a/p1
    Any questions just ask in that thread.
  • Thanks Karl, much obliged!
  • Hey Karl, your work contues to amaze me. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks so much for that Steve, really appreciated and rewarding to read.
  • That kit just ooozes details! Top shelf modeling Karl.