visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• Nice warm tones on the shingles.

The hand seems to have been used in an inappropriate way by a lineside worker...to pop wheelies!
  • Good lookin shingles boss.
  • edited November 2022
    Thanks Rick, Art, Bryan and Emery,
    I like the slightly warmer grey colour, slightly more aged, to go above the walls, I need to blend them a little but I'm liking this first step so far.

Thanks again.
  • I''m only gone for a week for work and when i come back you have practically completed the entire model. What an awesome undertaking, Karl. It looks superb. I can only echo what others have already said. Master doesn't even come close to the work. Man it looks great. Thanks for sharing Karl. I've learned a lot from you and I thank you for that.
  • edited September 2023
    Thanks Grant for those very kind words and it's great for me to read that you have been enjoying my posts.
    We all learn a lot from each other and it's always rewarding to hear back from the readers who are following along, so, thank you for your comment.
  • edited November 2022
    Well, Brett keeps teasing me with these wonderful details. Following the manual pages and
    I just finished up this small scene and I was in detailing mode ... then ...

I turned the manual page and it's back to graining and staining... so, it's time to build the railings for the tank platform.

• Nice start to the detail work. So many wonderful details, love the double sash window and propane tank.
  • ​Thanks Ken, the bar has definitely been raised with this kit, some amazing progressions in the exquisite details and quite a few new technique updates too !!! SWSM never stands still and keeps on moving forwards.

I got the tank railing built, so, next in the manual is gluing down the main components...

First is to notch out the tank platform so that the handrail can be attached correctly, and then epoxy it to the stone walls.

While the platform is drying the end gable is glued into place onto the shed walls...

Now that the gable is in place I'm just about ready to glue the shed down to the decking and the platform... just testing the placement right now and making sure things are square and line up correctly.

Next up is the interior detailing... once the glue is dry on the walls.

• Base of the stone wall looks great with the details added.
  • Thanks Bryan, I added some shadowing to the wall/floor before placing the details, and then a slightly different tone around them once they were placed, just to blend things together.
  • Great progress Karl...great to see it come together, all the coloration looks spot on, looking used but not abused. I need to spend some time getting the walls detailed so I get to this point...you're using grout for the soil base it appears ?
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks Art,
    "worn but still working" just like me.
    Yes, my usual grout base mix as always.
  • Continued awesome modeling. I hope to see a revised HO version with all the new updates.......Rick
  • Thanks so much Rick, always great to have you along for the ride with me.
  • Beautiful detailing!!

Jerry
  • edited November 2022
    Thanks Jerry, hope you enjoyed your day.
  • Karl.
    This is the best work that you have shown us and a pleasure to see. ...Carl.....
  • Very nice Karl! Seeing some details being added is where the fun begins! I know you have mentioned in a previous post about shadowing beneath the details, it really adds a lot to the scene here.
  • Karl it really looks like a fantastic kit and you are doing a fantastic job. I love the mini scene along the stone wall, so realistic.
  • Hey Karl, How about lights? Any thought to that? Just wondering. I usually use lights on all my Sierra West models but they are not always the easiest to place and run the wires.
  • edited November 2022
    Carl, thanks so much for the high compliment. Thanks Tom, I like the depth, reality and blending it gives to the finished model.
    Thanks so much Joel, indeed a fantastic kit, the wonderful scene is direct from the manual, as is everything else, it always amazes me what can be accomplished by just 'following the instructions'.
    George I have the plan and prep done for the lights, that process may be added/shown at the end of the thread as an 'extra'.
    For now, I'm 'step by step' with the manual and showing how following those steps yield amazing results for everyone.
  • edited November 2022

I still have a few more details to add to the inside, such as the stove, hand-truck and some others on the walkway. Hopefully more progress tomorrow.
  • Fantastic pictures. This is really a beautiful diorama.
  • Looks like you figured it out though. Awesome pics of an awesome model. This is getting better and better as you approach the finish......Rick
  • Powerful modeling Karl, has your signature style! All those details that come in a kit that size...nobody else comes close. Details are amazing and all tailored for each scene and well thought out.
  • So many great mini-scenes to take in. For me, the details that stands out as adding to the realism the most are the empty glass jars.
  • Now remember Karl, it's better to be pissed off than pissed on. Trust me, I know LOL. I have a Nikon D850 and it is quite a beast of a camera, but man it takes great pics, so once you get the hang of your setup, you'll be the KING of photos. Take care.
  • KKarns said:

Powerful modeling Karl, has your signature style! All those details that come in a kit that size...nobody else comes close. Details are amazing and all tailored for each scene and well thought out.

nobody. else. comes. close.
    nobody.
  • I have 3 expensive camera's....and my Samsung phone takes the best photos....lighting is my issue...
  • Beautiful. Enough to leave a man speechless. Of course the goodies Brett puts in the box are a thing of beauty but getting the best out of them is art. One you have mastered without a doubt. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy watching this come together. I hope mine arrives soon!