visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#315 - Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed - Official Build - Karl. A

Comments

• That’s always a nice detail, adds a bit of delicacy!
  • Karl, thanks for all of the closup's of the extra's. it really adds a lot of depth and ideas for others.
  • Awesome! Love all the details and how you have incorporated them.
  • There is so much to look at. All those different items so superbly tied together with muted colors and the groundwork… awesome stuff!
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks for the comments Ken, Alex, Tom and Jeroen.
    You just can't go wrong if you follow Brett's lead/instructions 'step by step'... it's a fantastic kit and experience to build it.
  • Just fantastic Karl. I will check out the other builds but in the end I hope to try and copy your work. The little scenes are so perfectly done. Just something to aim for,
  • Thanks so much Joel, always great to hear from you my friend and also to read your esteemed comments.
  • As always, great work. When one looks closer and dives into the 'micro ' scenes, there is always something to discover. Like the concrete bricks which prevent the handcar from moving on the rails whilst it is worked on. Nice touch !!
  • Looks Great Karl.
  • Great work Karl. The over all feel of the dio is a well used structure and the accumulated detritus around it. Nice gray dusty color. Randy
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks so much for the replies and comments Robert, Bryan and Randy. Indeed Robert, it is the small nuances that make a big difference, I copied Bretts pilot model (the best I could) and the manual for all of the scenes and placements, including the cinder block 'stays' under the handcar wheels.
    It's this attention to the smallest details that puts SierraWest above the rest.

Talking of details, I'm also sharing this build elsewhere and Rick asked me...

​[QUOTE=Rick] Have enough details yet? [/QUOTE]

So I answered....

""" Thanks Rick, ummm, not yet,
    there are still plenty in the kit to be added...

There's still about 25-30 main details to go, barrels, crates, junk parts, jars etc to be installed,
    Also the 20-30 'glass' bottles I haven't used yet to fill up the scenes,
    After that there are still the 15-25 hand tools such as wrenches, hammers, saws etc to finish off the scenes.

And that's not including all the amazing details I'm about to add to the tank...

As always, Brett at SierraWest never skimps on the quality and quantity of the details provided to make a complete diorama.​ """

But my next update will be on installing the tank spout and hardware.

• edited December 2022
    So, for the tank hardware a support is built following the provided templates and simple instructions. There are many accurate and perfect details also provided to complete this step.

Now this is completed the 'install' is the next step.
  • Chains, spout and frame installed onto the tank. Nothing is weathered yet and I still need to adjust the chains length and add the weights, but,
    that happens in the next manual paragraph after the glue is good and cured... so time to wait.

More tomorrow...
  • A couple of random shots while I wait for glue to dry,

Just because...

• looks fantastic. Love that interior shot.
  • Thanks Joel, really appreciate that.
  • Karl.
    Everything is just as it should be very nice work. ....Carl.....
  • All the mini scenes are making a great overall composition
  • Everything about this project is absolutely incredible.
  • it sure is. i really want to find a way to get this kit on my shelf.
  • kebmo said:

it sure is. i really want to find a way to get this kit on my shelf.

Yep
  • Fantastic!!

Jerry
  • More excellent progress. Thanks Karl!
  • wow, great update, tank looks so good.
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks so much everyone for the great responses, really good to read.

I'm down to the last couple of pages in the manual so I'm getting close, then I'll go back and finish the last couple of things I skipped over so that I would have better visibility for the build pics to share, such as ...

Put on the finished main roof, add in the stove and dolly to the interior, and of course add in all of the smaller details to finish the scenes off.

Thanks again,
  • The Corona makes yet another appearance...I'm in the shop all day tomorrow....keep and eye out for the idea on the repair area in a different location...Bryan gave me an idea...
  • Spout details just make it! Beautiful.
  • I'm gone for a week and come back to this. Great progress and fantastic modeling. WOW!....Rick
  • Thanks so much for the replies Art, Ken and Rick, great to hear from you all and much appreciated.

Hopefully an update over the next few days.