visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Scale Wood Logging Camp

Comments

• edited November 2022
    Excellent work Jeroen, both on the colouration and the construction.
    Really nicely done.

(note:I didnt comment earlier because my screen colours have been messed up for a while, Ive got it set right now and glad I have.)
  • Great work Jeroen! They both look wonderful...I tend to lean towards the grey structure in my own work but the warm brown tones also looks great...what a quandary!
  • excellent structures! everything looks just right.
  • No worries Karl! I always appreciate your take on things but sometimes other things get in the way. And when it comes to computers I’m totally lost myself…

Thanks Ken. I agree completely. The greys look better and now I found a way to get a decent result it will probably be my way forward as well. Just not quite left the experimental stage I guess!

Great to hear from you Kev! Glad you like it so far. I’m curious how the next part, the station, will end up. I’d better start preparing wood!
  • I’d better start preparing wood!

just one of the fun parts...
  • I agree with you that the cookhouse looks older. I think it looks just right. great job with the color. Randy
  • I like the variation of colors...tells a story.....one older than the other...
  • They look great together.
  • Very nice coloring. Crisp and straight lines, esp. on tarpaper edges. Weathering very realistic.
  • edited November 2022
    Well done! The different color structures can represent different age structures. Adds some variety.
  • Jeroen.
    Your work is spotless just the best and when you do the ground cover and details I think you will have a special piece to admire............Carl........
  • Thanks gents! The plan is to finish the railway station and then I should be able to judge the size of the diorama and have a base made. Although I will have work to do on the donkey repair shop I should be able to slowly start with the groundwork and all the little details. I’m looking forward to that phase very much !
  • The past weeks I tried to get some work done on the logging camp and I made first steps with the Deer Creek station. I basically followed Bretts suggestions in the instructions but used Enamel paints. The wood was brushed with a metal wire brush, then coloured with washes and finished off with a soft brushing with a copper brush. The boards were prepared individually to get some tonal variation. Because in my mind the station is the newest building in the camp I decided not to age the wood to much but instead try to give it a slightly dirty look. It's on to the decks and porches now and when those are done I think I finally can make an estimation of the size this module is going to have.... all the best, Jeroen

thumbnail_IMG_3088
    thumbnail_IMG_3089
    thumbnail_IMG_3090
    thumbnail_IMG_3091
  • Very nice Jeroen! Really like the weathering on your doors and windows.
  • Looks great Jeroen
  • Fantastic!
  • I like it
  • Love the colouring. Very nice
  • The wood colouring is great and varied, a nice warm tone, portraying a well kept structure, yet it still has so much interest, difference and character.
    The thing that grabbed me after that was the worn red doors/trim, not an easy colour to age without it turning 'pink' and losing it's base tone. You pulled it off perfectly, very well done.
  • I will echo all the above . Great work Jeroen.
  • It just looks....right.....nice warm tones and a great feel....
  • top notch all around
  • Great work and well thought out.
  • Looking good.
  • Jeroen, great color on the siding. Old enough to be weathered but nor too much. As Karl said you did a fantastic job on the red trim. Randy
  • Wonderful, your wood coloring and aging is superb.

I love this little station so much. It is based fairly closely on the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Grass Valley Depot. So much character you would think the architect who designed the real depot must have been a model railroader!
  • Gents! Thank you so much for your response. This is very encouraging to say the least so I'm very grateful and happy! For the wood colouring I used reddish brown and earth toned Enamel paints. I applied this as a wash, almost more like tinted thinner than thinned paint. I varied the mixture slightly or repeated the application to get some tonal variation. And I must say Im please with how that worked out, especially when you carefully sand the individual boards. I sometimes only sanded the edges, sometimes part of or the whole board. It gives great variation. The doors we're first painted with an acrylic paint (airbrushed), a reddish tone like a anti fouling ship color. When this was dry I moistened the lower part of the doors and windows and dipped brown chalk on those parts. After all was dry and the chalk stuck to the part I ended up with carefully brushing the excess away with a wide brush. The edges of door and window frames were dipped in dark brown chalk to cover them completely. These were then put in place and with a small brush the excess chalk was brushed away. This settles down in the wood grain of the walls and houses slight dark discolouration around the windows and adds some depth. So that is basically the process. Im working on the decks and the porches right now. I want to weathering these a bit heavier as they obviously have been walked on a lot.

Brett, you are absolutely right. This little station is wonderful and perhaps even slightly anonymous and underestimated. I was / am a big fan of the first version of the HOn3 Carabasset an Dead River railroad (Bob Hayden if I remember correctly) and this building would fit in the DNA of that railroad perfectly. I for one would consider selling it as a separate kit, adding lots of 3d printed goodies (how about trunks, suitcases, rucksacks, backpacks, toolcases and other stuff that travellers on the road would carry with them? Perhaps even a extension like a passenger terminal with a simple roof or so... Im dreaming. I can, can't I?
  • I finished the wooden walkboards around the left side of the station building today. These were coloured slightly darker than the building and reworked a bit more in an attempt to give them a more used look. The white carton board is the base to which the wooden strips are glued. The exposed edges will disappear once the groundwork has started. Now it's on to the loading docks and porches...
    thumbnail_IMG_3104
    thumbnail_IMG_3105
    thumbnail_IMG_3107
  • Jeroen, Nice coloreation on the platform boards. They do look more worn than the siding. Randy
  • Looking good Jeroen, the difference is subtle, but there.