visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Scale Wood Logging Camp

edited August 2022 in HO Scale Builds
I’m so inspired by all the gorgeous work here that I started a second project - a wood logging camp. It will mainly consist buildings from Essentials and the Donkey Repair Shop. I’m a newbie to this so I’m slightly intimidated by the high bar set here but here goes. The first steps have been made with Bunk 1. Bunk 2 will follow with basically the same approach. I took a slight deviation from what the instructions say about coloring the wood. I scrubbed the strips and cleaned them, after which I did a first coloring with alcohol based inks, thinned down. After that I took Brett’s approach with pastels. I think I have some nice color variation and the first walls are in progress. Here are some shots to give you an idea. I hope you like it. Advice is always welcome!

thumbnail_IMG_2251

thumbnail_IMG_2252

Comments

• sounds like a great project. pics please!
  • edited August 2022
    Done!
  • Wonderful coloration and weathering Jeroen. Cannot wait to see this come together. Great start. Thank you for posting this here.
  • Thank you Brett! I'm trying to aim for buildings that look like they have been in use for a while, exposed to the elements but not 'rotten'. After the first project I feel a bit more at ease with experimenting and it's a lot of fun!
  • Hi Jeroen, So nice to see you posting here, way to go. Your work on the one wall here looks great! Really nice subtile knots and disconformities in the wood. Nothing overdone. Also like the rich warm brown color tones. I tend to model more on the gray and black end of things, but seeing your work I should expand my horizons some! Looking forward to your build here and thrilled to have you posting...fun isn't it?!
  • Hey Ken, glad to hear from you and thanks for the kind words! Yes, this is definately fun and I’m glad I have a bit to show now. It feels good to start a new project! Funny you mentioned the colors. I’m trying to tone things down compared to my earlier efforts and I wish I could get more in that dark and gray range. I just don’t know which colors work for that, especially since I’m partially color blind. If you could tell me a bit about you color palette I would be very grateful!
  • Beautiful coloring! Jeroen glad your posting your work here.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry for the kind words. I must admit it’s quite exciting to be in the company of such great modelers here. It contributes to a steep learning curve and that’s an important part of this hobby to me!
  • I like the coloring, well done. For the weathered aspect, exposed to the elements, I would use also more grays. To get that silvery gray look. Just experiment with it. We all do !!! Be sure that it's not easy to get that specific tone and there is no real recipe or formula. Every modeler figures out his own. We just learn from each other.. and the kits are top notch so... Anyways, great start and sitting front row to follow.
  • Hi Robert, thanks for your remarks! And I think you’re spot on: more greys! I’m preparing my wood per bunk so I definately am going to try and make the batch for the second bunk more in that color range. It’s all a matter of trial and error I guess!
  • Hey Jeroen, I most often use an AI stain of various strengths and or coats to get the base color I like. This gives a good gray tone base to work from.
  • Great textures on the walls. I also use A/I for coloring wood for a grey coloring.
  • One tidbit I'll throw in is to test your staining and weathering on scrap wood (same as you're using) to fine tune the tones and effects before you go to work on the final product....also look at it under various light sources....and take a photo of it...it finds all the flaws your eyes seem to miss live....keep up the good modeling
  • edited August 2022
    Hey Ken, AI is an entirely new term to me. Could you tell me something about it or refer me to an article or something? Lots of stuff you guys use isn’t available in Europa and can’t be shipped (Vetero for example) but perhaps that isn’t necessary or I can work around it. Thanks for mentioning it!

Thanks for the kind words Tom! Yes, as soon as I figured this AI thing out I will give it a try!

Mr. Muddy! You’re absolutely correct. Trial and error, experimenting, testing, it’s all part of the game. This is only my second project so I think it’s fair to say I really still have to develop a ‘style ‘ of my own. I’ll get there. Thank you for your encouraging words!
  • Jeroen said:

Hey Ken, AI is an entirely new term to me. Could you tell me something about it or refer me to an article or something? Lots of stuff you guys use isn’t available in Europa and can’t be shipped (Vetero for example) but perhaps that isn’t necessary or I can work around it. Thanks for mentioning it!

Thanks for the kind words Tom! Yes, as soon as I figured this AI thing out I will give it a try!

Mr. Muddy! You’re absolutely correct. Trial and error, experimenting, testing, it’s all part of the game. This is only my second project so I think it’s fair to say I really still have to develop a ‘style ‘ of my own. I’ll get there. Thank you for your encouraging words!

AI is alcohol and india ink.
  • Thanks Kevin! Do you brush this on or dip it?
  • Hey Jeroen, You can make the “AI” by mixing India ink and alcohol. Obviously the more ink, the darker the stain. You can also buy commercially prepared stains in a range of colors. I use an old brush and place the pre-grained wood on my glass work surface and brush it on then put it up to dry. Hope that helps.
  • It sure does Ken! I assume you mainly use black in various densities?
  • Right, I don’t use any other colors other than the brown in very limited circumstances. The black India ink stain is the go to and in various strengths and/or repeated applications as you mentioned.
  • Information on the correct type of ink to use can be found on my website:

https://sierrawestscalemodels.com/university.html

bottom of page...
  • edited August 2022
    Jerome…. I keep (4) strengths mixed and ready to use….I’m not where I can check the strengths just now but going from memory the 4 are:
    1cc ink per 4 oz 90% alcohol
    2cc per 4 oz
    3cc per 4 oz
    4cc per 4 oz

The cc is from the eye dropper I use and the 4oz is based on the squeeze bottles I store the mixture in

I prefer 90% alcohol because it may effect the wood less than the 70% (less water in the 90%) . Probably doesn’t really
    Matter much in actual use, tho

Great modeling btw
    Terry
  • Thanks for all the input gents! I have ordered some Indian ink and will start experimenting with this. I'm very curious how it will turn out, but it's a lot of fun and the learning curve is very steep so that helps a lot!
  • In the mean time I did some work on the walls of Bunk 1. Before working with the pastel technique Brett suggests in his manuals I stained the wood with alcohol based inks. I chose a greyish tone which made me think - a light brushing with a copper wire brush might bring it back slightly, so that is what I did. It toned down the brightest colours, brought up a slight hint of gray and this is where the walls are now. I think this is better than I had. There is still color variation but a bit more muted. I think this is a good base for final weathering. I decided to follow the same procedure on Bunk 2, as I feel these two buildings should have the same look and feel. This is how it looks now.... (hoping the pictures reflect some of the subtle color changes...)

thumbnail_IMG_2283

thumbnail_IMG_2285
  • Walls look great and coming along nicely Jeroen. The windows will really set off the nice wall work.
  • I think you've done a great job on weathering the individual boards. I can see in the first picture that you have definitely toned down the color variation. Like Ken, I've done most of my modeling using more of the gray scale in wood but lately I've used some of the umber chalks. Keep up the great work!
  • Walls have turned out very nice. The brushing of the finished walls with the brass brush has made a nice difference. I often do that to finished walls. I think it blends things together nicely.
  • Fine job so far. Nice wood texture and color variation. Keep up the good work.
  • edited August 2022
    Really looking good so far Jeroen, the warm wood colours are really nice.

I like the warmer tones for a temporary and transportable structure such as this. You have achieved the look of a building that was purpose built for the expansion of the logging operation as it progresses deeper into the woods.
    It has obviously been out in the wilderness for some time and may have already been at a camp or two before this one, hence it is starting to age.
    Yet, still in good enough condition to be moved again once this area is cleared of trees and on to another camp location.

Looking good so far, keep us all up to date on your progress.

I learned the brass brush technique from Brett's (SWSM) manuals many years ago, I rarely use it but I do like the grey/silver shine patina it imparts on the boards, I think I'll find a project soon to revisit it again, it gives a great variation.
  • Thanks Ken, I think you're absolutely right - the windows will make a huge difference!

Hi Steven Tom! Yes, I think it toned the colts down slightly and added a little gray, but when I start on the kitchen building I will try and get more greyish tones right from the start. I ordered some inks that might help.

Greatly appreciated Emery. Slowly does it I think. I tried Kens approach on more individuality in the boards and it certainly helps. I'm very curious how it all will look in the whole setting! But that is still a long way to go.

Karl! Thanks for the kind remarks. I love the way you are creating a story around this and if you don't mind I'm going to adapt it :). Having said that - working on Bretts Kits is so much more than just building. It is indeed story telling and I have to gain a lot more knowledge on certain themes to do that. Here in the Netherlands info isn't widely available but I'm searching a lot on the internet and I'm learning!
  • Looking great.