visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Scale Wood Logging Camp

Comments

• The coloring along the bottom of the boards is very well done. Real world always has a dark area at the very bottom with a lighter area above that. You can see that clearly in the last 2 pics.
  • Great fix on the boards. The darker shading on the base is well done.
  • edited September 2022
    Great colouring Jeroen, nice variations and highlights, also well done on the subtle darkening at the bottom of the boards. Not too much and not uniform, just like it should be.
    Also, good save and solution on getting rid of/minimizing the rounded bottoms of the siding boards, they look so much better now, much more natural.

Looking forward to following your next steps on these builds, looking great so far.
  • Thank you all guys, that's great to hear. Im very glad with all the comments and suggestions, even though it makes me slightly insecure at times. Having said that, its all about the learning curve and being here on this forum with so many talented modellers really helps to improve my skills. I hope to be able to do that too in the future when somebody needs and wants that. So again, thank you all!
  • This weekend I managed to work on the roofs and get the basic shapes of bunkhouse 2 done. I still have a lot of work to do on the roofs (weathering, stacks, stuff like that) but I like where this seems to be going. I also will add some smaller details (maybe a sign here and there but nothing major) to give the buildings slightly more individuality. I'm going to ram my library of photo's of logging camps to see what is realistic. Anyway, this is where it all stands now with bunkhouse 2!

thumbnail_IMG_2368
    thumbnail_IMG_2369
  • Jeroen.
    You ave a wonderful display of your work it is one of my favorites .
  • Jeroen - I'm really enjoying following this build. I can't wait to see the weathering and details on that roof.
  • I'm with Steve, look forward to the weathered up roof work!
  • Carl, thank you for those kind words! I still have a lot to learn but each time I work on this project and with all the constructive criticism the learning curve is steep. And most of all: I'm having fun!

Thanks Steve, Ken! I worked on the roofs the last week and more or less finished bunkhouse 2 and the latrine and shower car. I tried to be a bit careful with the weathering because it's so easy to do to much. Perhaps I will go back later and add a little but I want to see the whole picture before I do that. I wanted to add some signs but none of my reference showed any, so I left them off for now. Perhaps a 'work safe', 'no smoking' or 'beware of dog' could just add that little extra, I'm still not sure. Anyway, this is where both structures ended up and I'm going to finish the roof of bunkhouse 1 in the coming days. Hope you enjoy the pics, happy modelling!

thumbnail_IMG_2419
    thumbnail_IMG_2420
    thumbnail_IMG_2421
    thumbnail_IMG_2422
  • wow. the walls look fantastic. so do the roofs. great job!
  • Excellent work Jeroen! Roof turned out great and really ties everything together. I agree, I'd go light on the signage if at all. Once again, beautifully done and not overdone.
  • Excellent Jeroen, colouring and weathering is just spot on.
  • Jeroen.
    Your work is some of the best that I have ever seen.
  • I like the streaks running down the roof.
  • Thanks so much gents! That is very kind. About the signage: I have collected quite a lot of pics of logging camps and almost none shows any signage. Sometimes on a bunk there is a little framed paper which probably is about rosters or news, but nothing major. My main reason for contemplating adding something would be the dash of color it brings, but I probably can achieve that later when I start on the scenery and the little details like drums, crates and stuff like that. So I basically skipped the signage idea. The last bunkhouse (1) is done as well. I'm really pleased with how they all seem to belong together but are different - windows, air vents, stacks, roof capping and so on bring some variation. So here is the last bunkhouse. In the coming weeks I will start working on the cookhouse, the last of the wood logging camp. Then its on to the large train station. Brett really delivers, this kit is awesome and I enjoy building it!
    thumbnail_IMG_2432
    thumbnail_IMG_2433
    thumbnail_IMG_2434
  • Excellent work Jeroen, as we have come to expect! Look forward to seeing how you will arrange the structures in the overall scene.
  • Thanks Ken! I think it will be close to what the box art shows. Not sure yet but I have to balance between the scene and what my display cabinet will allow sizewise. I want to be able to put it in there to protect it from dust and other misery. Looking forward to the next posts on your awesome Shelby's!
  • I hear you Jeroen! Display for my builds is getting to be an issue as well. Keep building and we'll figure it out later! Lol.
  • Great job Jeroen! Roofs really complete the structures and tie everything together. The important thing as you have stated is that you are having fun! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see what you do with the station.
  • these structures have turned out great! can't wait to see them in their final destination.
  • Looking very nice. I build a layout just to give all these SW buildings a destination.... :)
  • Thanks Tom, very true words. Of course I try to get the best out of the kit and always in pursuit of improvement (thanks to all the wonderful people here), but having fun and quality time is the most important. Its a hobby after all.

It will take a while before the diorama shapes up Kevin. After the cooking house and the station there's also some work to be done on the donkey repair yard. But I understand what you say. Its always a great moment to start working on the scenery and the little details. Its a bit like playing God, creating your own world...

Ha Robert, yes, that is what got me going as well. Im still far away from that layout, but who owns what will happen. If there is any place where I can take a look at your work please share! Im always on the lookout for inspiration!
  • Jeroen, look in the gallery !
  • Robert.G said:

Jeroen, look in the gallery !

Will do!
  • That looks wonderful, you have just the right look. The scene with the bunkhouses is going to be perfect.
  • These look great. Can't wait to see it all laid out with the walkway.
  • Great job Jeroen! It looks like you just pulled that building out of the woods. I'm excited for you. Building the structures is a great part of modeling but actually placing them in the scene and surrounding them with Brett's magnificent details is what I enjoy the most. I hope you're having fun because there is even more fun to come!
  • Thanks Brett, Emery, Steve! I have to admit that Im happy with how these turned out as well! With all the help on this forum one can make very good learning steps, and I'm benefitting from that very much. I agree - getting it all in the scene and adding those gorgeous lilt details is the real deal, but that is still far away. I first will finish the buildings and then decide on the final layout, because I have to take available shelve space into account. I'm now finishing another project but probably will start with the kitchen somewhere next week!
  • Beautiful work Jeroen. As everyone seems to have noted you have a real knack for colouring. That said I would be careful not to over do things as it is easy to make things more cartoony. Careful with the rust streaks and a few of the nail holes are quite large. Lastly try to stagger the shingles. It just takes a few extra seconds but if the shingles line up there will be leaks in the bunkhouse. Looking forward to the next bunkhouse. Great stuff.
  • I hear you Joel! But it is a funny thing - I'm trying to tone down my stuff because although Im happy with the way it looks I have a hard time getting out of the 'brown range' and getting into the more dull 'grey range'. I will figure it out in the end and the cook house will be a new chance to give it a try. Having said that: most of the pictures are made inside and although I have a good quality set my camera struggles with the browns a bit, making them look stronger than they are. On the previous page you will find some outdoor shots that I took and those colours are closer to what it is in reality...