visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Scale Wood Logging Camp

Comments

• Yo Brett:
    You need to offer this in O scale. Come on, how hard could it be. Just make it bigger LOL. You could do it in your sleep. Actually, it's a great kit and Jeroen is doing a superb job with it.
  • he does that and i'm gonna need a bigger house....
  • Hey Kevin, You've been wanting to move anyway. What a great excuse.
  • So I picked up on the project again and started with the cook house. Im trying to incorporate a number of lessons I picked up: don't round the edges of the boards to much, darken the lower part of the boards, be more subtle on the nail holes and (especially since I wanted this to be an older structure) keep the wood colours on the greyish side. I'm not finished yet but these are the first two walls on say 90% done.....

thumbnail_IMG_2662

thumbnail_IMG_2663
  • Very nicely done, this will definitely give you the contrast you are looking for with the others. Great looking walls.
  • Looks great Jeroen! Really like the color you achieved here and the board ends are where you want to be.
  • Great color and texture to the walls. Definitely has a more aged feel.
  • love the greys. Nicely done!
  • Superb, very well done. Great contrast.
  • perfect!
  • Nice color !!
  • Thank you all for the kind words. The grey was achieved with brushed on thinned grey inks and grey pastels. A light brushing with a brass brush toned it all down slightly. I'm learning thanks to you guys!
  • Finally I have some time for this project again, so I started finishing the cook house. The walls are more or less done and I also added the windows and doors. Now I'm going to finish the little addition to the backside of the building and the porch in front. After that its on to the roofs, stacks and other small details. Final weathering will be done during that stage to integrate the whole. So this is where I am now, a quick snapshot...

thumbnail_IMG_2995
    thumbnail_IMG_2996
  • This really looks great. Looks like a fun kit to build. Good job.
  • Great wood work Jeroen! Windows and door finish and the board end detail looks wonderful, you're on it now my friend.
  • Excellent weathering, especially the gradient color toward the bottom.
  • Nice coloring and weathering on the wood. Nice variation and board deterioration.
  • Good water staining seeping up from the bottom of the boards. Randy
  • Looks good
  • Thanks gents, for the kind words. Thanks to all of you I finally managed to get my color tones more into the grays and I'm very happy with it. Im trying to get some tonal variation and although it may look a bit rough here and there Im fairly confident that once this all settles down into the diorama it will be ok. I managed to finish the porch and the little addition on the backside. Now its on to the roofs and stack, which I will do in the coming days. This is where it stands now. Hope you like it!thumbnail_IMG_3003
    thumbnail_IMG_3005
    thumbnail_IMG_3006
    thumbnail_IMG_3007
  • Looks great! Your color tones and variations are done very well.
  • Thanks Tom, I really appreciate that. I used to work only with pastel chalks but I’m now combining those with alcohol based inks. Probably not a big revelation for most of you but for me it was completely new and I’m very happy with the possibilities…
  • Fantastic! Natural variation in the wood is perfectly executed.
  • Nicely done Jeroen. Looking grungy just a bit!
  • huge thumbs up!
  • I want to do this in O scale.
  • looking great. Fantastic colouring.
  • Today I finished the cook house. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Its really more greyish than the earlier bunks I finished and to me personally it has this older feel to it. Its amazing which tales colours can tell, so thank you all for putting me on track with this. Now its on to the station building and Im looking forward to it very much. Its such a nice structure and Brett did an amazing job creating it. Here are some pics including one with a comparisson between te different aged bunks. Hope you like it!
    thumbnail_IMG_3022
    thumbnail_IMG_3023
    thumbnail_IMG_3024
    thumbnail_IMG_3025
    thumbnail_IMG_3026
  • Beautifully done. I love the colors. Great job.
  • Thank you Jim, that’s very kind!