visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Scale Wood Logging Camp

Comments

• Right Jeroen. Once you get the main structure like this so well sorted out, everything then builds on that and just gets better and better!
  • edited December 2022
    Thank you Mike and Carl! I think that is a little to much credit as there are so many jawdropping kits to be seen here but I really appreciate the remarks!
  • Lets hope so Ken! But the way Brett sets up his kits along with that little storytelling detail box makes life much easier!
  • For sure! That is just one aspect of SierraWest kits that separate them from all others.
  • That is one beautiful looking building. Enjoy looking at your work.

Jerry
  • i'll be pullin' up a chair and cracking open a cold one when that process starts....
  • That's outstanding!
  • Very nice Jeroen!
  • That's one nice station! I really like the proportions of it, and you did a great job.
  • That came out fantastic...love the looks
  • edited January 2023
    Jeroen said:

Lets hope so Ken! But the way Brett sets up his kits along with that little storytelling detail box makes life much easier!

No doubt about that Jeroen. We look forward to seeing it.
  • Thanks Karl. There was a little pause in the project because I needed to finish some other stuff, but I’m going to pick it up again soon. Today the diorama base arrived so I can start some rough landscaping. More to come soon!
  • Looking forward to it Jeroen.
  • This is one of my favorite models. Keep up the great work!!
  • It's been a while since my last post because I had to finish some other projects that were on commission, but I picked up in the wood logging camp again. I have to be honest; there's not much to see except that I started with the base, cut out in foam. The yellow tape shows where the track later on will be. I started also with a first layer of sculptamold (and Im still not sure I like working with it) and some first sand and gravel coast. Very rough, very loose, but a good base to start refinements on. That's for later. Some pics of the base, roughly 35" by 14". The size is partly defined by what the diorama needs and partly by what my display case allows me....
    thumbnail_IMG_3495
    thumbnail_IMG_3496
  • Progress is progress Jeroen! It's all in the prep work and your work here looks great.
  • Hey Ken, great hearing from you. Absolutely true. I’m going to take this one step at a time and go slow. It’s quite an intimidating size and Just enjoying the process seems the way to go.,.
  • edited January 2023
    Great start Jeroen, it's looking enticing at this point.
    I always seem to have a problem starting, and then a bigger problem 'finishing', the middle stages always seem to come easy for me.

I'm looking forward to watching your progress and getting lots of inspiration/motivation from you to get started on my build of this.
  • Karl! Thanks so much. I may have bitten of a bit more than I can chew so my route to an end result will probably look clumsy at times. I will do the scenery with stuff from Arizona Rock and Mineral mostly, so let’s see how all this pans out…
  • edited January 2023
    Nothing has looked even remotely clumsy so far at all, far from it, and I doubt it will moving forwards, you are definitely taking it all in your stride.
    I'm looking forward to watching your scenery evolve into the same high quality result as everything else you have shared with us so far.
  • KKarns said:

Progress is progress Jeroen! It's all in the prep work and your work here looks great.

Wise and true words Ken.
  • Glad to see you back at it.
  • Coming along very nicely.
  • Thanks gents, glad you enjoy it so far. This is one of those projects that is so large that it will be an on and off story but I’m going to push this part now until the basic scenery, the huts and the walkway are in place….
  • edited January 2023
    Today I finished the rough contours of the hill side of the diorama and added the huts. The groundwork is still a first layer and will be refined in the coming time. I'm now adding the sleepers for the rails and will start working on the walkway. After that the fun part starts with adding all the details, trees, logging stuff, dead branches and so on. I'm finishing this side of the diorama first before I move over to the side where the station will be. It's still a long long way to go but I'm having fun. Sorry for the poor quality pics but this thing is so large.... hope you like it anyway!

thumbnail_IMG_3514
    thumbnail_IMG_3515
    thumbnail_IMG_3516
  • Jeroen, you did an excellent job with the dirt and rocks. It looks very natural. Randy
  • Great start on the scenery Jeroen, very natural so far.
    Those structures look so good sitting there !!
  • I like it
  • this looks fantastic. nice dirt work!
  • edited January 2023
    Thanks gents, I really appreciate that. I have been working with celluclay and I'm not very sure I like that so much. The thing now is to make sure to cover this up so that there isn't any white coming through. Not a very difficult thing, just slightly annoying. The next time I use it I might probably add some pigments. The groundwork so far is done with materials from Arizona Rock and Mineral. They have a great variety of stuff and I like what they have, especially the colours. I'm now working on the sleepers and the base for the walkway. Its still a very, very long way to go but its stimulating seeing this shaping up and all your support is a big bonus, so thank you!