visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Scale Wood Logging Camp

Comments

• This is looking fantastic, excited to see the first bunkhouse come together!
  • Off to a great start Jeroen. I like the warm browns you've chosen for the walls. Looking forward to following along.
  • Thanks Brett, Joel! I decided to do bunkhouse 1, 2 and the shower/latrine in one go because somehow I think these three should be tied together in how they look. For the cookhouse and the station I will opt for a somewhat different approach en colours I think. I may be able to finish the walls of the latrine this weekend. After that it will be on to the doors, windows et cetera and constructing these three buildings. I will post some progress in the coming days. Thank you again for the kind words!
  • Today I finished the walls of the latrine and shower car. Below I have included some pictures of the walls of bunkhouse 2 and the latrine and shower car. That means the first three buildings have their walls basically finished. I'm going to add the windows and doors now and add some smaller weathering and detail effects. Although very repetitive this really was a very enjoyable proces so far. Hope you like the pics, now it's on to the next step!
    thumbnail_IMG_2303

thumbnail_IMG_2304

thumbnail_IMG_2305

thumbnail_IMG_2306-1
  • Great looking walls. Wonderful colour.
  • Really nice work on the walls Jeroen. Such an important step and your work reflects your attention here. Only suggestion would be to watch the amount of "rounding" on the bottom of the boards. Randomly, this is an effective technique but would avoid doing it to all of them least you get a consistent "popsicle stick" or scalloped appearance. Of little issue really, as the ground work, details, and higher vegetation blend things nicely.

Look forward to seeing the windows and door!
  • beautiful walls!
  • Thanks Karl, Kevin for the kind words. There’s still room for improvement but I think these are better than the ones I did for O’Neills and the Foundry. Progress!

Thanks Ken, for all your advice! That is very helpful and I think your remark is right on point. I can cover this up with the groundwork later on but more variety will add to the credibility so I will keep in mind what you said and use it for the cooking house which I still have to do. But that’s for later I guess because first I will finish these three.
  • Great colors Jeroen. You're off to a good start! I like the random spacing between some of the boards. If you want a more weathered look, I like splitting some of the boards and carving out fractures on the sides and bottoms of the boards. You can work with the middle of the bottoms as well. It just depends how weathered you want a particular building. The good news is they are all not the same! Variety is the key. Looking forward to seeing more of this build.
  • Thanks Steve! I like the idea of splitting boards. The bunkhouses were well maintained so I didn’t want to overdo it but the cookhouse might just be the right building to give that a try. In my mind that is the oldest building on the scene (the railway station being the newest one). Thank you for the kind words and suggestions!
  • Excellent! Love the coloring and overall feel.
  • jeroen,
    my suggestion would be to impart some damage to the bottoms of the boards to help get rid of the scalloped look. splits would help that alot.
  • I managed to do some more work on the bunk houses. Finished windows and doors and put the walls together (except bunkhouse 1, which I still need to finish). I thought about reworking the bottom side of the boards but in the end decided not to do it because a lot of it will be hidden behind vegetation and junk. Having said that, I will take a slightly different route for the cook house which will follow after I finished these three. So: bunkhouse 2 and the shower and latrine car in its basic shape..

.thumbnail_IMG_2334

thumbnail_IMG_2335

thumbnail_IMG_2332

thumbnail_IMG_2333

thumbnail_IMG_2336
  • Excellent.
  • Jeroen….looking very nice. Another weathering idea I like to use is to dip the ends of the boards at ground level in your A/I solution and let it “wick” up the boards a little. I have done this either as I’m installing the boards or as a completed wall assembly as you have here I’ll pour a puddle of A/I on my glass work surface and set the wall assembly down in the puddle.
    You have very nice color variance from board to board.
    I’m enjoying following your build
    Terry
  • Thanks Karl, Terry! That really means a lot for a newbe like myself. I have never worked with A/I Terry, at least not consciously, but recently got the technique explained by Ken. I am going to experiment with it and see where it takes me, as I want the cookhouse to be more greyish than these buildings. My final weathering I usually do when the groundwork takes shape so I can integrate the buildings (or in the past: armor stuff and planes) with the groundwork. We'll see where this goes. I'm over the moon with all the help offered here!
  • Great work on the color variances. That looks great. The window trim stands out extremely well. Nice touch to that.
  • Always liked this kit. Nice progress.
  • Great looking bunk houses!
  • What a difference some windows, door and wall assembly make! Really nice job on those Jeroen. Little bold on the nail holes. Look forward to roof work and the Cook House...well done!
  • The color variation and texture of the boards turned out very nice. I agree the lower portion of the wall boards need darkening. You can also take a small paint brush and brush on the A/I. You have more control over the amount that wicks into the boards. You can add as much or as little as you think appropriate.
  • Jeroen said:

Thanks Karl, Terry! That really means a lot for a newbe like myself. I have never worked with A/I Terry, at least not consciously, but recently got the technique explained by Ken. I am going to experiment with it and see where it takes me, as I want the cookhouse to be more greyish than these buildings. My final weathering I usually do when the groundwork takes shape so I can integrate the buildings (or in the past: armor stuff and planes) with the groundwork. We'll see where this goes. I'm over the moon with all the help offered here!

i told you!!
  • Thank you very much for all the kind remarks! I think I can tone down the nailholes slightly Ken. It might be a little strong indeed. I’m keeping the remark about darkening the wood in mind Tom. I’m still not entirely sure I want to do it, but I’ll definitely use your approach if I’m going to give it a go, I think I’ll move forward with the build, see what it needs in the bigger perspective and then decide what to do. Let’s see how that pans out!
  • Nice work Jeroen. However, try not to exaggerate with the 'rounding' of the ends of the boards. Certainly not when you put two boards vertically together. It is very unlikely that they are worn in such a way. It is not driftwood.. :wink:
    If you do make nail holes, just a tiny prik with a needle is more than enough in HO. The coloring will accentuate them.
  • I think you have some great color variation in the wood tones and I think you did a good clean job on the windows and doors. I've enjoyed watching your project progress. Your modeling techniques will continue to evolve with every structure project.
  • I tried to work with the suggestions that have been made: I flattened the undersides of the boards by carefully sanding them and added the bunk plates. I think they look less 'rounded' now, at least a number of them. Its time to start with the roofs but I wanted to show you where I am - with pics I made outside. Under the photo-lights it's much more difficult to get the colours right than pictures made outdoors. They have a certain softness and are more representative for the colours. Thank you for all the help so far, sometimes it is a bit nerve-wracking I must admit but its highly helpful and appreciated!thumbnail_IMG_2348
    thumbnail_IMG_2349
    thumbnail_IMG_2350
    thumbnail_IMG_2351
    thumbnail_IMG_2352
    thumbnail_IMG_2353
  • Love it! You have created just the right look for a working bunk car. Aged and weathered, but not rotting and falling apart. Well done!
  • Well done Jeroen. Those are going to make a wonderful scene!
  • The best that I have seen!
  • Love the coloring on this. Nicely weathered but still usable!

Jerry