visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply III

Comments

• Ken, your additions to the kit are perfect and blend right end. I wish I had that much imagination. Another unique build that is inspirational to us all. Phil
  • Fantastic Ken. Has your signature style all over it. I’d know it was one of your builds without anyone telling me. Can’t wait to see it with all the details.
  • Another superb work Ken. It's gonna take time to take it all in. It has your signature for sure, meaning SO WELL DONE !!!!!!!
  • Appreciate that Steve. I was a little hesitant regarding the elevated concrete foundation but I see that look with barns and such and I think it worked out OK. You'll love working up the O scale version of The Foundry, so many cool details that are new and innovative including that garage door. Right Steve, I don't think I could model a modern clean looking building to save me a_ _ ...soul!

Thanks Rick, and your subtile dig on how slow I am is noted!...lol... You have been a breath of fresh air to this forum and appreciate your camaraderie and modeling skill.

Tom, When I look back at the original design I did stray a bit!...I was in regular contact with Brett regarding my proposed ideas. Brett offered nothing but support and encouragement.

Thanks Joel and hope all is well up north.

Bryan, you are Mr. Detail!...Hey Dr. Grunge and Dr. Detail...would make a good team. Thanks much.

Thanks Kev. Grungy is good in my neighborhood.

You bet Ed and thanks for the note here.

Well thanks Phil, very nice of you to say...made my day.

Hey Steve, thanks man, it is funny how we all develop a certain style that tends to be recognizable. Feel like trying sometime to change things significantly just for that reason...hmmm

Thanks Robert, appreciate that.

• The more I look at it, the more I like it. Both your build, and the design. Don't you hear it screaming, O scale, O scale...... :wink: :wink:
  • Was never a fan of this kit...... till now. The subtle changes made a huge difference to me in my eyes.
  • Ed, probably not but just a thought!

OK Robert, we're going to have it out here and now!...Ho/HOn3 rules, you spoiled O Scalers need to realize your place as second in line...lol!
  • Thanks Mike, as I mentioned to Brett...having a blast with this kit. More to come...Ken
  • Indeed it would Ed !!!!!!

No problem Ken, second in line is just fine... :smiley:
  • edited May 2020
    Well this things have been languishing for good while...my typical modeling style! The scenic thread has got me moving a bit. Just finished up the chain link fence today so will post that section after a bit...

IMG_7979

I built a stairway leading up to the dock from the truck ramp...I know, big deal...hey it's something!...

IMG_7980

Finished detailing the track work. This is tedious work in 1:87 with rail spikes, 4 for every tie, and rail joiners...24 inches of track...you do the math!...so what did I do?

IMG_7981

Cheated of course!...have only a couple small areas where the ties are visible the rest is covered like this...looks cool anyway...

IMG_7989

Here's the entry from the road over the small drainage ditch with a culvert in place. Toothpicks outline a second section of chain link fencing to tie into the fence I finished at the other end...more later...Ken
  • Yes, there is progress!! Phil
  • Looks great. I agree with the track. I did my entire length of track with 4 spikes per tie and rail tie bars. However, I like the look of mostly buried ties.

Rick
  • I really like the look of the buried track....very realistic off the main line....
  • i agree. my former neighbor owned a lumberyard that had it's own siding, and the ties were buried. i think that's a great look. (he even had a derailer just in case)
  • Glad you're back in business. It looks great !!
  • I like the nearly buried track.
  • Progress it is Phil...albeit small...but I did get the chain link fence up at the other end.

Thanks ED...

Appreciate that Robert...

Rick, Muddy, Kev, and Bryan...lumping you into the thumbs up on the mostly buried track...glad to have some moral support there, thanks guys.
  • Smart move on the buried track. Otherwise we might have to bail you out of the funny farm so we can see the final results. Looks GREAT!
  • A Master Class from a Master Craftsman.
  • edited May 2020
    Right Tom!...after I laid out the footprint for the diorama, I got a cold sweat thinking about detailing all that track...I've done a bunch of it on other builds but just didn't want to this time. Artistic license or something like that.

Hey thanks Al, awfully nice of you to say and nice hearing from you. I could have said I detailed all the track then buried most of it...but you all would see right through that..Lol
  • KKarns said:

Right Tom!...after I laid out the footprint for the diorama, I got a cold sweat thinking about detailing all that track...I've done a bunch of it on other builds but just didn't want to this time. Artistic license or something like that.

Hey thanks Al, awfully nice of you to say and nice hearing from you. I could have said I detailed all the track then buried most of it...but you all would see right through that..Lol

It would be like you to detail the track and then bury it because...you’d know it was there.
  • Touché Al...I resemble that remark!:)
  • Love the track as always, your attention to ALL the details is amazing.
  • Great work as always Ken.
  • edited October 2020
    Thanks guys. Well I must say it has been a long time since posting on my Scotia build. I took some time off to relocate and build a new modeling shop. I will post some pics and give an update on that project soon.

As a refresher, the main structure is done with pictures posted here previously. I am now on the scenic work and exterior scenes. I expanded the north side of Scotia to include a fuel oil and kerosene depot of sorts. I love modeling oil/fuel tanks and the grunge and mess that goes along with them.

I spent the better part of a day working on the service pole and the connection of the electrical service to the main building. I started with a scale 10" x 10" piece of stripwood, sanded it round for the pole. Cross member was a 4" x 4" piece of stripwood with styrene supports. Insulators, transformer, and NBWs finished off the basic details less wiring. Wiring was extremely tedious work as you can imagine. Firstly, a support wire was fashioned from ship rigging rope. I use modelers ship rigging "rope" as it doesn't have the "fuzzies' like standard thread seems to produce. The basic rigging rope, when laid out, doesn't lay nice and straight. As a result, I put some Elmers on my fingers and ran them up and down the "rope". This serves to straighten out the 'rope" and give it some rigidity ( see picture below).

IMG_9204

(Upper "rope" treated with PVA glue and weathered like steel cable. Lower "rope" as per stock product and note the loose bends).

I then put some weathering chalk on my fingers and ran the "rope" through to weather it to appear like steel support cable. I then wound another section of "rope" to wrap around the support cable as the actual electrical wire. Once it reached the structure I separated the individual strands and ran two of them into the weather cover of the main electrical feed. The other end was separated and attached to the output on the transformer. Any electricians out there keep the comments to yourself! lol. (see below)

IMG_9215

IMG_9216A

Glad this work is done. More later...Ken
  • Ken, this is where one goes from being a great crafter to a master crafter. Very nice work. Thanks for sharing your technique. BTW I found a quick way to turn square wood into round wood. Put the square wood in your drill and spin slowly as you run it over a running belt sander. It works great, but be careful, it works quickly and if you don’t pay attention, you end up with a tooth pick. Phil
  • Thanks Phil, appreciate that. Right!...took me a good while to go from square to round. I also put a gradual taper on the piece as it would be. Appreciate you taking the time to comment here my friend.
  • Ken, I am not an electrician, but been around this quite a bit. This is totally believable. Very nice drip loop (sag) into the weatherhead on the building. ...Rick
  • Ken, nice to have you back at the bench. Phil