visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply III

Comments

• Right Ed...well the "straw" color, which I was going to use a good bit of, is way too yellow. The green colors were, I don't know, just fake looking. I know they are fake!

With that said, my scenic work tends to be very muted and dull. Maybe this is to a fault and likely why I think when significant color is introduced to one of my scenes it looks...yuck to me. So...what I think I might do...I have both the Line Side and Tool Shed kits I built years ago but did not put them in a diorama. I may do both as small dioramas and experiment with lots more scenic color. I guess kind of like therapy.
  • I don't know what colors you ordered Ken, but I am in the midst of trying my first big use of static grass on my layout and I am going for the Fall colors which Silfor or Noch has from Scenic Express and they are muted greens and straw. There are a bunch of You Tube videos on static grass and one that I like Marklin of Sweden called The Ultimate Guide to Static Grass. And there are many more videos on You Tube on the subject. I also had a cheap applicator but it did not work very well and spent some bucks to get a good one.
  • Have you tried the better quality applicator yet?
  • Yes, I bought the Noch Grassmaster 3 from Scenic Express for about a $100. It has 3 different sieve sizes for use depending how long the fibers are. There is a WWS applicator also that is supposed to be good. The Woodland Scenics is not that great.I am happy with the one I bought. If your inclined, you can make your own. there is information out there on how to do that.
  • I use the RTS 55Kv Greenkeeper. That is the most powerful (hobby) 'grasser' on the market. Not the cheapest around, but the more power, the better the grass, even the 12mm, stands up. I use it on my tall fir trees as well. With good results I might add..
  • I second Robert's opinion.
    I have all the applicators on the market and the one that gives the best results is the RTS 55Kv Greenkeeper.

Greetings.
    JM
  • Yup...on my list of things to get! Thanks guys.
  • One is going to hurt bad enough! Over $300...
  • I hear ya Ken. I had one in the cart and figured I had better whoa up there. Maybe Santa will drop one off instead.
  • edited December 2020
    Exactly Emery!...I went to a site and almost stuck it in my "cart" but decided to wait and let the idea simmer a bit...
  • I also went to the site and viewed the videos that I found on the internet. Fascinating to watch some of these artists use the RTS 55Kv Greenkeeper as they build a scene. One was in French and the other German. But you get the idea of how the tool can be used in very artistic ways. It would be of great interest to see a short video by Rober and Jose showing us a few ideas on some basic uses, especially how to create blended grasses of differing heights and colors in a pasture setting.

In the end it is like all good tools, "You get what you pay for!"

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • I have the Noch which does an acceptable job. I agree that getting the best tools possible helps. When I got the Noch, I thought it was the best available. Had I known about the Greenkeeper before I would have definitely gotten it. I have not made my own tufts as I bought a supply of tufts long ago that have lasted longer than I thought. Most of those tufts are now bent over from the packaging. Maybe its time for me to make my own now.
  • Dave_S said:

It would be of great interest to see a short video by Rober and Jose showing us a few ideas on some basic uses, especially how to create blended grasses of differing heights and colors in a pasture setting

Dave, I did a photographic step by step with 3 layers of electrostatic fibers, but it was not with the RTS 55Kv Greenkeeper, it was with the WWScenic.
    The RTS was on the way, but as I am a restless I could not wait to have it and I did it with this one. The result was not bad, but with the RTS I am very happy.
    In this link you can see all the photos.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/eUASB7dh63dPVzbq5

Greetings.
    JM
  • Jose,
    Great layering of textures and colors. Turned out very nice.
  • The Noch Grassmaster 3.0 output is only 11Kv vs the RTS 55Kv 5 times the output of the Noch. What a hell of a charge! and a whopper of a price. Looking on the internet, they have other models with less output.
  • edited December 2020
    Who am I kidding.... Dave and Ed are 100% correct. You get what you pay for. Kv55 kit with an extra set of quick change jars incoming!! HO..HO..HO.

Ben Franklin: "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."
  • Finishing up Scotia tomorrow and will post final pictures as weather permits. Following this I will post an update on the new shop. The results of the guardrail work went well and look forward to feedback.
  • at last...something to look forward to... :)
  • Thanks Kevin, nice of you to say...feel bad postings have been so lean!...
  • to be honest, i know your scotia is going to turn out fantastic. what i really wanna see is the new workspace. i gotta do something about mine, and need ideas.
    here's another truth.....
    i haven't had a cigarette in 7 weeks, and i'm feeling about $600 or $700 dollars richer. no kidding.
  • Kevin, that means more money for modeling! ..
    Ken. I am anxious to see your finished dio.....Rick
  • edited December 2020
    The single best thing you could have ever done Kevin...well played!

Feels good to have finished up another one!...
  • Kevin, that means more money for modeling! ..
    Ken. I am anxious to see your finished dio.....Rick

exactly right.

• I was able to get outside this afternoon to get some pictures of my finished Scotia Supply diorama. Featured here are the basic shots from all sides. I'll get some more detailed pictures later on.

IMG_9518

I was planning on installing the jib crane on the dock but after careful consideration elected not to. Seemed it overpowered the scene a bit.

IMG_9470

IMG_9414

IMG_9473

IMG_9503

IMG_9489

IMG_9443

IMG_9492

IMG_9491
  • Exceptional as always Ken. You nailed the electrical feed configuration. I like that you grew the diorama foot print to add a lot of scenery and detail that accents the building as well as your mods to the building. Again, exceptional....Rick
  • Outstanding - still taking it all in. What a wonderful rendition of my second kit from 1996.
  • Wow, that is old... LOL. I would say "They don't make em like that anymore", but you damn sure do! Outstanding job Ken!!!
  • Great job Ken! You did a really great job making this one your own but still keeping the original feel of the kit.
  • Great looking job Ken. Details look just fantastic!
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1