visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply III

Comments

• I have been working on the side building details of late. It's amazing how much time and effort goes into detailing a structure that's only 3.5" x 1.75"!

I'm lighting this side building and detailing the interior a bit. Scratch built all the doors and the roof. The interior has a wood floor over half and the rest is the concrete it sits on. The two large freight doors open to the concrete half.

IMG_7693A

A bit of interior work. Very little will show without a concerted effort to peer through open doors/windows.

IMG_7680

Air compressor and air line that will be placed in the structure on the concrete floor in the corner once the building is glued down. The shut off valve is just a thin piece of tape wrapped around the steel wire and a piece of styrene cut for the handle.

More later...Ken
  • By the way, the studding on the inside walls are way out of scale but I used them as bracing for the walls in addition to interior detail...very little of this will show...why all the work then...I know its there!
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one that goes beyond for so little sometimes, but WE know it's there.

Looks great.

Rick
  • Detailing is is worth every minute! In my humble opinion it's what makes the whole dio! Nice compressor!
  • Very nice
  • Great stuff, excited about seeing it all come together.
  • Thanks Ed.

Right Tom, I agree and well stated on the detailing.

Hey Joel, nice hearing from you...things are progressing (see below).
  • Been a good while since posting on the Scotia build. The main structure is basically done. Haven't a chance to get any good photos yet but will do that soon. I came up with a "punch list" for the main structure yesterday and thought it might make an interesting post...or not!

Configure and install main roof stacks
    Light by second story front door
    light above garage door of side building
    Signage
    Side vent install at rear
    Stairs off loading dock
    Reinstall light at back door (had to be moved for roof over back door afterthought)
    Design and install electrical service
    Back steps railing.

Once this list is knocked out the remainder of the diorama work can begin. Lots to do here...Ken
  • Easy to see why you are one of the masters.

Rick
  • Well thought out planning is and should be the key here. Even for the master.
  • Hey Rick, thanks for the thought. However, your descriptive is a bit of a stretch!...my philosophy...I think a great deal, I work hard (read slow), and cover my mistakes well!

Right Robert...planning ahead is key and when I mention slow it's not consistently slow. I'll think and plan a scene for days, then have a flurry of activity to complete it while the thoughts are fresh. Then slow down and plan the next move, all along keeping the final overall plan in mind. Can't count the number of times if I would have constructed things based on my first thought, I would have wished I hadn't or turned around and changed it. You all have been there I'm sure.
  • Working on the punch list of details. The kit came with a resin chimney that had the typical open top. I carved out the top a bit more and then filled it about half full of Epoxy. When just about dry (gooey) I sunk a couple of "stove pipes" into the glue. Once dry I then put in a mortar cap. Just a variation to give a unique look and interest...more later...Ken

IMG_7774
  • Oh, and since my roof tar paper is already down and I cant lay the paper over the flashing, I put it on the chimney first and once glued to the roof I will add a seam of "tar" so it will appear as the flashing is under the paper.
  • Love it. All the changes you are making that make a stock kit completely unique.

Rick
  • Good thinking and very nicely executed !! What a pleasure to follow this build.
  • Thanks Rick, it is quite obvious I'm using this as a filler post since I'm so slow to get pictures posted! Certainly won't be posting individual pics of each and every detail...

Appreciate that Robert.
  • I know you can't post everything, but showing the attention to details like this are very instructive to the rest of us. Thanks for doing that.
    Rick
  • Ken, I just finished catching up on your build. Fabulous crafting!!!! There is so much going on and I appreciate you attention to detail and taking the time to detail your various techniques. As I did with Karl's and Bill's great tutorials, I document these great techniques by using the Snipping Tool that comes with Microsoft. I then put these gems into a Sierra West technique book. Thanks for adding to my library. Phil

Kens Tips
  • Chimney turned out great! It's little details like this that might not be noticed, but really add a lot of interest to a finished dio.
  • How about a hornets nest under the lip of the chimney?
  • No problem Rick, love doing it and we all learn from each other. If not for sharing our hobby...what the hell???

Thanks Phil. Nifty idea on the technique book...

Hey Tom, I enjoy that kind of thing and thanks for the support.

Bryan...might get away with it in O Scale but 1:87...ehhh.lol.
  • The main structures of my Scotia build are pretty much done. May have a few additional details as the rest of the build takes shape. The ties are down and first layer of dirt applied. Much more to go...

Here are a few pictures of where the build is at present:

IMG_7845

I added gutters and downspouts at the two rear corners. A bit tedious in 1:87!...I also moved the Scotia Supply signage to the main building as I wanted to mess around with the roof of the Side building. I of course opted for the raised rib metal roof and wood ridge cap.

IMG_7861

Wood ridge cap with metal repair patches. Note the Kerosene and Fuel Oil sign. I am planning a scene for this on the north end.

IMG_7862

Scratch built these doors as the interior is detailed and lighted. Will show more of that later on in the build.

IMG_7859

Just see the roll up garage style door I built. This was totally motivated by Brett's wonderful design, which I blatantly stole the idea for this build!lol..., from The Foundry kit. Credit where credit is due and it was a brilliant idea to include the Foundry kit.

IMG_7857

I decided to add a rear door and stairway to the rear of Scotia that would flow around the back of the side building. Needed a railing along the elevated concrete pad I made.

IMG_7842

IMG_7854

Note how high the concrete foundation is on this side.

IMG_7858

IMG_7849

North end of Scotia. The electrical service area. There will be a service pole and line coming into the main electrical feed later on in the build.

IMG_7850

More later...
  • wow. what a beauty. congratulations....
  • Thanks Brett. Havin fun with this one!...
  • I just spent some time catching up with this build from the beginning. Your build quality and weathering work are true art at the highest level. Thank you for sharing it on the forum so we can all learn from it. Most everything has been said at this point by others, but I would like to say the raised concrete coloring and weathering is amazing! Especially when it is offset by the delicate pipe railing. The roll-up garage door is great and adds variety to the usual selection of doors. I just received the O scale version of the Foundry and saw this detail that Brett added and I can't wait to tackle that kit but I'm trying to stay disciplined with the open projects I have. The single biggest take-away for me from your builds is the use of heavy weathering without muddying-up and losing the detail of the build. Thanks again for all the inspiration!
  • The changes you made have given this "kit" a completely different character. Your attention to the smallest detail is without question not to mention the perfect weathering. Go man go, but at your pace. Not a race if you want perfection. Love it all.

Rick
  • Awesome Ken! Changes the whole look of the original model. Can't wait to see what you do with the details.
  • Stunning work as always Ken. Really looking forward to the details and clutter but it already has so much character. A pleasure to follow along.
  • Love it. I expect light switches inside with the power service.
  • yeah, it really looks great. good and grungy, yet solidly built and accurate as hell. nice work sir.