visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply III

Comments

• That looks fantastic Ken.
  • Very good Rick, glad there is a resemblance of legit going on there lol.

Thanks Ed. Was one of the more tedious projects I have done in 1:87 for some time.

Feels good to get some real work done on the project Phil.

Appreciate that Tom. Small update but its something, and figure a days work should at least get it's own billing.
  • beautiful work, but that's gonna be a tough meter to read.....
  • Well worth the extra effort. Glad you are back.

You need a couple of song birds sitting on the wire.
  • That is pretty much perfect. The meter reader may call you a few ugly names though. LOL. Just kidding. I love the look of this!
  • Hey Kevin, appreciate that. I thought about the location of the electrical service and probably should have run it down and mounted on the stone foundation. Just didn't look right when I staged it. The background of the weathered siding and all the "stuff" close together had the right look. What about wrapping the deck around the corner with angled supports rather than posts to the ground?...Hmmm...might look cool? Problem or opportunity??

Thanks Bryan, I'm glad to be back modeling with all you hooligans! Joking aside, you folks are the best and honored to be knocking elbows with you all. Birds on the wire!...Gessh, I have enough trouble doing LPs let alone wildlife! Lol. As you may recall, I have one figure "planted" in each diorama I build. The one for this build has been added and the chance to find em will come with the final pics after I'm done with this project.

Hi Emery, really nice hearing from you and enjoy following your work here on the forum, great place to be. I agree, I love the look of busy wiring, plumbing, etc...I think it adds a great deal of realism and interest. Your take on the issue of access has got me thinking...see comments to Kev above. Would love to hear what you think...Ken
  • Prop a ladder against the wall beside it. This model was in the days before coddling to absolutely everyone. Like "Green Acres" climbing the pole to answer the phone.
  • That would be a painless solution for sure! Love the Green Acres piece...

I actually have a ladder along the bottom of the wall (see picture below), but not exactly at the ready! Lol...

IMG_8222
  • Very nice detail Ken! Looks very realistic.
  • Thanks Tom and appreciate you taking the time to comment. Always nice hearing from you.
  • edited October 2020
    Awesome work on that Electrical line..best Ive seen..and Ive seen a lotta shit..
  • HO Scale. Just awestruck. Looks just like the real thing in every detail.
  • edited October 2020
    Hey Brett, appreciate your tutelage and encouragement and as we discussed, I was going to try and get some interesting things going with Scotia. We all know what it feels like once we get into a SierraWest Scale Models kit...we obsess of course! This was one detail I was chomping at the bit to get working on. Wanted to finish most of the details in the side yard, under the electric line, in order to avoid knocking the wires loose!

Alan my friend, what's going on? Been a long time since we chatted and really nice hearing from you. Doing any modeling? Thanks for the kind words really made my day.
  • Looks fantastic Ken. The electrical wire is really impressive. Getting wires to look natural is one of the most challenging things for me. Yours look perfect. I love the buried ladder and the loose bricks against the wall.
  • No birds?! How about a squirrel?
  • Ed you just gave me an idea!
  • edited October 2020
    Thanks Steve and nice hearing from you as always. Miss not being able get together at the shows. That project took a full day and as I mentioned, and one of the most tedious single projects I have done in a long time. Problem is, I will now have to have a similar detail on all my dios which started with my Loco and Service Shops, then BlueSky, and now Scotia...should have it figured out by now!Lol.
  • Ken, it all looks very natural. The clutter, the vines, grasses coming out , great work man !!!
  • Appreciate that Robert, and coming from the Duke of details (would have used King but didn't rhyme with details) that means a great deal!
  • Actually, I am Belgian... but still a big sense of humor...
    I think that's a real cool name. Playing : The Duke of Detail and Dr. Grunge at Madison Square Garden tonight !! Sold out....sorry... :smiley:
  • Fantastic stuff Ken. So glad you are back at the bench. Looking forward to the final push. Hopefully nothing else is a tedious.
  • Thanks much Joel and nice hearing from you as always! That should be it for the tedious work but enjoyable all the same. Working my way around the structure and have finished the side oil tank storage yard. Detailing the road in back. The road is the full length of the diorama (24 inches) and straight...a bit boring and monotonous. So...I decide halfway down the gentle slope I would put in a wood post and cable guardrail. I like to try things I haven't done before with each build, and haven't modeled guardrails before...posts are done will see how they look before posting (get it!) any progress...Ken
  • Anxiously awaiting the results.......Rick
  • edited December 2020
    Me too Rick! Lol.

I have done this before on other stuff and it is usually an over reaction...got wind that Testors may discontinue their Dullcote...so I jumped online and ordered 6 cans!!

Decided to give "static grass" a try on my Scotia Supply diorama. Bought a relatively cheap model and a selection of 2 and 4 millimeter grasses. I never really liked the look of static grass but the selection of materials is getting much better so we'll see.
  • Ken, thanks for the heads up. I may order as well.

As for static grass, I really like it if you have a fairly large area that needs grass (Otherwise, use the grass tufts from Scenic Express). I've used combination of grasses up to 10 millimeters. Otherwise, it looks like a putting green. The owner of Scenic Express gave me a static grass lesson. There are two critical things you need to do. First, apply the static grass glue fairly thick. Second, slowly shake the applicator and let the grass stand on its end, then pull the applicator straight up. I found that if I get at eye level with the surface, I can see what's happening. Of course, practice makes perfect. Hope this helps. Phil
  • BTW, I did some quick research. Rustoleum, which owns dullcote, offers a product called "dead flat" which some say is the same thing. You can get it at Home Depot for about $8.00. I may try it. Phil
  • Any information helps that's for sure. Typically I don't work up dioramas with very much "grass" area. I make my own tufts but want to see if I can create a bit larger expanses of taller field type grass. Thanks much for the note Phil, appreciate it.
  • I'm going to try the dead flat for sure.

I'm a big fan of static grass, which includes the tufts that can be made or bought. The key to me is that you mix different colors and heights in your application. Otherwise you get the putting green look mentioned earlier.
  • ken, how about an update on your new work space??
  • Will be anxious the hear how the “Dead Flat” compares...of course I won’t need any for a good while considering my spending spree on Dullcote!lol.

Thanks for the tip on the static grass. Not sure I’ll be trying it yet on Scotia as I received the grass and don’t like the colors at all...

Yeah I should do a piece on my new modelIng shop for sure...and thanks for “rattling my cage” on the subject Kevin.