visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply III

Comments

• Wow! Am outstanding diorama. All the fences and roads look very realistic. Oh yes, the building is outstanding too.

Mike S.
  • Thanks Rick, appreciate your thoughts on the electrical work.

Appreciate that Brett. Love your old classics!

Hey Emery, illustrates how innovative SWSM has been for over 25 years!

Thanks much Steve and nice hearing from you as always.

Your kind words are appreciated Stephen!

Thanks Mike. I put in a wood post and cable guardrail for the first time. I like to try new techniques and ideas with every build. First time doing gutters and downspouts on the main building, chain link fence, and post and cable guardrail. Will have more detail pictures of the guardrail later on.

• edited December 2020
    The following are a few more detail shots.

IMG_9446

Here is the drainage ditch along the road in back.

IMG_9435

The downspout from the roof also runs into the ditch.

IMG_9429

Burn barrel and junk pile.

IMG_9433

Road to the side loading dock runs over drainage pipe and into the fenced yard area.

IMG_9504

Road view of the Kerosene and fuel oil storage area.

IMG_9506

Trash and debris accumulated on the outside of the fenced storage yard.

IMG_9508

Underground fuel oil storage tank with pump system to stock the dispensing tank. Note the underground oil fill pipe and cap. Cap is open as I'm building an oil delivery truck that will have a hose stuck in the pipe as if filling the tank. The other tank is kerosene.

IMG_9521

Dock details.
  • IMG_9478

Here is my go at a post and cable guardrail.

IMG_9480A

IMG_9430

IMG_9487
  • The addition of the scenes on each end really bring the buildings purpose to a more realistic life. Much more functional and complete. Fantastic...Rick
  • As always.....it looks more real...than real does....
  • A masterpiece that sucks you in at every scene.
  • now do you guys see why we need to invent better words?
    the guard rail looks great. the whole dio looks great. these words kinda suck.
    we need better ones.
    i think masterpiece is pretty appropriate.
    outstanding modeling ken. you're right up there at the top. bravo.
  • now how about the work space update??
  • Thanks Rick, I try to have some method to my madness regarding the flow of things. I'm guilty of straying from reality now and again but that's the fun of modeling...can't take it too seriously...all the time!

Appreciate that Art. Emulating the real thing is what we are striving for so when I get close, and it's noticed, I'm happy...thanks again.

Too kind Bryan, but I'll take it every time.

Hey Kevin, thanks for such a nice review. I'm cleaning up the shop and will be taking some pics later today and tomorrow.
  • Ken, an amazing build. Your attention to detail is beyond comparison. You think through every little thing. Amazing. You also always add new ideas. I love the guardrails and the electrical work. This is also your first try at something other than flat and you pulled it off amazingly. Congratulations. Have a very Merry Christmas. Phil
  • Appreciate that Phil. Right, a little change in topography makes a big difference. Stay safe and have a wonderful holiday as well!
  • Gotta get my magnifying glass. This will take a while. Thanks for the Xmas present!
  • You bet Al....
  • Ken, another exceptional diorama. To begin with, the buildings are just great. I love the color , well, what is left, on the boards of the main building. Stonework looks like real stonework as does the concrete. The details you added, are just great touches of realism.
    Like the debris and paper against the fence, The fence itself, the electrical feed, the tyre traces in the mud by the tanks, well I could go on. Grungy at its best. Again , super work on this one !!!

Will you ad some lights ? So it would look great at night also... :wink:
  • Ken,

The post and cable guardrail is an awesome detail along the roadside. Could be the first time I recall seeing this detail in a SWSM diorama. Nicely executed as always.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/240/7KXFKMJEIT3A.jpg
    Did you use the same material you used for the electrical drop line to create the cable?

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

• Thanks Dave. Right. I used ship rigging rope which doesn't have the little fuzzies like cheap thread. It is however, not stiff enough to look and act like steel cable. I take the "rope" and run it through my fingers that I smeared with Elmers glue several times. Once dry, it has the perfect stiffness but still allows working it effectively. I then do the same thing with chalk powder to color it.
  • edited December 2020
    Ken, try Matt Varnish. It works great.
  • I can see that working great. Thanks Emery....
  • Ken, I have been looking forward to the completion of this diorama. I can't add anymore superlatives to what has been already said. Simply a masterpiece! What strikes me are the areas that are fenced in, especially like the addition of the tanks, and the oily appearance of the area. Love your cyclone fences. I usually get blobs of glue on them when trying to build such a fence. Your attention to detail is outstanding. Each time I look at the photos I find more interesting detail.
  • edited December 2020
    Ken, Outstanding work as always. Your color palette is spot on. Ok, seeing its Christmas, I think you need to follow Joel's lead and throw some white stuff on that diorama... :)
  • Ken,

Based on your earlier tutorial in this thread on Scotia Supply III about creating a drop line from the pole to the electrical mast head
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/500/9ET29MV047MO.jpg
    I purchased some nautical rope as you suggested. I have received the thread/rope and it looks perfect for both applications.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Tom and yes, I love the old tanks and the oily grungy things that go along. The fence work was a first for me. I used very tiny little drops of super glue with a pin to secure the tule. Thanks again for your thoughtful comments, means a lot.

Well hey Alan, nice hearing from you. Appreciate the note and I don't know if I could get the nerve up to do a winter snow scene! I have a couple small structures (Line Side Shed and Tool Shed) that I haven't built up dioramas for yet...hmm

Great Dave, glad you found the product. I really like that stuff and have a good supply of various sizes.
  • What brand are the the cyclone fences? They look great. I like the culvert over the driveway. It just seems that you thought of everything, to make a great and complete scene.

Mike S.
  • Hey Mike. Fencing was scratch built from aluminum tubing and wedding tule fabric. Brett included brass pipe and the material I just changed it to aluminum as I added more fence to my diorama
  • As always a true work of art Ken!
  • Thanks Justin, nice hearing from you.
  • Hey Robert,

Wasn't ignoring your post here just wanted to get some additional pictures before commenting! Firstly, thanks so much for your thoughts. You're an incredible modeler so appreciate your critique and comments, means a great deal. I did light the shop addition and probably should have just gone ahead and did the main building...maybe next time.

IMG_9580

IMG_9583

IMG_9586
  • Lights for sure The peeling paint looks fantastic in this last pic. Is that your lone peep inside?