visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply III

Comments

• OOOH! Light it up!
  • Very lack luster Bryan compared to your sophisticated light work that's for sure.
  • Ken, I suspect that you could make the lights as intricate as you like. I'll be looking for a working wall switch.
  • You folks amaze me that do all the sophisticated lighting. I'm at the one watch battery, one on/off switch, and a couple of pre-wired LEDs and I'm good!lol. One of these days I'll but my nose to it and light up a large diorama, couple of Brett's kits on the waiting list come to mind...but then there's the "old dog new tricks" kind of thing...Ken
  • Trying to figure out how to install lights for us non electrical types is very confusing. The information that you get from Ngineering is just the opposite of what you will find on Evans Designs. Ngineering says that you must wire your lighting in series with a resistor for each LED. Evans design says that you can wire in parallel without the resistor if you use a 3 volt power supply.

Basically what I am doing, I am wiring my buildings using parallel wiring with a 3 volt power supply which could be a 3 volt coin battery which works well for dioramas. But I am adding a 18 volt buss wire to my layout for all the lighting on the layout and other auxiliary items. At strategic areas on the layout, I am going to install an AC/DC to DC Adjustable Voltage Converter and a terminal block. I will then wire the various buildings in the area to the terminal block.
  • Hey Stephen, those are the same light kits I use from Evans Designs! Simple and easy. Like I said, on one of these builds I'll get into the lighting thing and get it all sorted out. Maybe tomorrow will be my standard answer...
  • Some of my lighting material I have bought from Ngineering and Evans design depending on what I am doing. The whole thing is very confusing and what I have done has worked very well for me. You might look at my Shelby's Marina and my Tractor repair shed project.
  • Thanks Stephen, will check it out.
  • Quickk update on the roof for Scotia. The roof is basically complete except for some final weathering and the addition of various roof details like exhaust stacks and the like. Down spouts will be connected once the structure is "planted". Gutters are on and the "metal" ridge caps and flashing around the cupola base. Better pictures later on.

IMG_7597

IMG_7608
  • Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • What else to say......just great work.
  • Very nice.

Watch that first step out of the upstairs door.
  • Love your work. Just amazing.
  • that looks great.
  • Incredible. How is this Scotia? Such a fantastic interpretation... Thoughtful, credible, and creative. More!
  • Beautiful!!
  • Looks like a whole different structure. Great interpretation.
  • Thanks Stephen. The pics aren't the best but wanted to give an idea where the roof was going.

Appreciate that Robert. Working on the side building double doors facing the same way as the front of this structure. Trying for a light duty steel look similar to the doors shown here which can be interpreted as wood as well. Side door is going to be a roll up garage door style inspired by Brett from his latest HO/HOn3 release, The Brass and Iron Foundry. I was so impressed with that development of Brett's, I had to include something similar on this build. Love the idea...Legacy Kits with latest techniques!

Thanks Bryan. Yup, long way down! Can't wait to get that front porch and porch roof on. Steve Custer mentioned in his build thread how much that porch gave the structure life and character.

Hey thanks Rick. Always nice hearing from you. No turning back now, I'm all in on this build. As I have mentioned numerous times before...when asked which kit of Brett's is my favorite?...my answer is always "whichever kit I'm currently working on"

Thanks Kevin, now back to work...tired of stripwood siding yet?lol.

I'll take one word mentions like that anytime Jerry...thanks much.

Tom, thanks and hold that thought and see my response to Brett...

Thanks Ed.
  • So glad to hear you approve Brett. I was hesitant regarding changing the roof peak rather dramatically and would not have attempted it without much contemplation and planning. Your kits and kit design deserve every ounce of thought and preparation so the final product, stock or modified, is in keeping with the SWSM legend! Thanks again for the support and encouragement...Ken
  • Structure work has slowed to allow catching up on the diorama base. Brett designed Scotia Supply with a diorama base of 10-3/4" x 6-1/4". Based on my vision of what I wanted to do with my Scotia, I expanded that to 24" x 10". I had two main concepts in mind that required this modification. First, I wanted to expand the chain link fence section to include a storage area and a kerosene and fuel oil depot of sorts. Secondly, I wanted auto traffic in addition to the rail service. This required road access behind the main structure and an area for truck delivery at the side building. In addition, I wanted to get away from a total flat terrain and add some variation in elevation.

IMG_7670

Overhead view of diorama base with just a coat of base color. Rail ties for code 55 light rail in narrow gauge have been laid. The hole in the main structure base is for wiring to light the side building.

IMG_7671

This is the truck delivery side. The cut out area at the top of the picture is a ditch as the road slopes down from left to right. There will be a culvert where the traffic cuts across the ditch to the area right of the concrete pad. A wood retaining wall is shown on the steep side that gradually slopes in towards the concrete pad.

IMG_7663

IMG_7667

Wood retaining wall in place.

IMG_7665

Back side of the main structure. Note how road slopes down towards delivery area.

IMG_7664

Truck delivery area with ramp for trucks to back up to dock.

IMG_7676

More later...Ken
  • I like the retaining wall
  • Love the concept.

Rick
  • Thanks Bryan, good place for some of your root vines! Picked some up the other day by my creek in back.
  • Appreciate that Rick and still refining it. Why the kerosene and fuel oil depot...I love tanks and Brett has the best tank castings around. A few years ago I purchased a selection of tank castings from Brett that he had here on the web-site along with a bunch of other resin castings just for a situation like this.

Here is my coveted collection of SierraWest Scale Models tank castings.

IMG_7677
  • Ken,
    One can never have enough SW castings! Love the layout of Scotia. Having different elevations will really add interest.
  • The difference in levels makes it interesting.
  • That's what I thought. Lends to some nice scenic details also. Not crazy about having to detail 24 inches of track and access road...24 inch long 1:87 diorama base, am I nuts!
  • The height differential will ad yet another interesting dimension to your diorama. Can't wait to see more! Hmmmm, that truck looks familiar. Might that be the same one you sent me to use in my Foundry pics? hah!
  • KKarns said:

That's what I thought. Lends to some nice scenic details also. Not crazy about having to detail 24 inches of track and access road...24 inch long 1:87 diorama base, am I nuts!

maybe a touch but aren't we all?
  • Hey Brett, that truck has gotten a few miles on it that's for sure. I agree on the terrain elevation changes. I messaged Alan Hubbard for any tips on the landscaping as he is the master of topography in his modeling! The changes I made pale by comparison to what Alan has done with some of his dioramas.

Yeah guys...nuts for sure.