visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• I’ve tried Towan’s approach and the first 3 or so were duds so you’re on schedule. I plan to convert the duds into dead trees someday. Is it possible that the fibers were applied too thickly? As I recall, Towan uses differing length fibers - were they applied in the order he specified? My tree limbs all start out on the same downward angle and then sorta level out. Good looking tree when the needles are applied like he says. Hope there’s a nugget here you can use.
  • i'll go back over his video and get the right stuff and try again.
  • Good start. For the next attempt, try adding a bit of branch structure to the branches and instead of using a spray adhesive, brush your glue on. It will be more precise with the location. Aim for the branch tips for the first set of fibers, then aim for the smallest branches with your "needles".

Last batch I made, I used a different material for the branch tips...the fibers that will get painted. 1 experiment I cut paint brush bristles into about 1/8" fibers. 2nd experiment I cut sisal rope same length. I liked #2 better.

Play around, I also have many trees that will end up in a background somewhere.
  • thanks bryan.
  • hey guys. i made a decision this morning. i'm not going to make the roof removable. i've been futzing with the lighting for so long, and i haven't come up with a solution. it's gonna be closer to the wall than the aisle, so nobody is gonna be taking the roof off anyway. i wanna button this one up and get into the water tower.
  • I thought it was already removeable simply because you hadnt glued it on yet. Thats all I did for the watertank roof.
    What am I missing that you are trying to figure out?
  • its the impossible to do without removing the truss assembly soldering that is the straw that busted my back.
  • edited June 2023
    Why do you need to remove the trusses? Cant you just lift off the four, glued together roof panels and leave the trusses in place.
    Thats what I usually do... Just glue the panels together, but not to the trusses, let them dry and cure for a week or so in place so that they keep their shape and a tight fit. Then you can just lift off the panels but leave the trusses in place with the lighting. That was the whole point of epoxying the panels together at the peak, so that they would be a solid unit without needing the trusses, or so I thought, that's how I'm doing mine on this kit.

Thats is as far as I remember, but it's been a long time since I kept taking Bretts roof off of the pilot model at the 2010 show.
    Everytime he turned around to talk to someone I took the roof off, when I turned around to talk to someone on the other side of the booth he'd put it back on.... hahaha
  • the roof isn't the issue, it's trying to solder magnetic wire in situ.
  • Oh, sorry, I thought you had done all the soldering and stuff back on pages 21 and 22, threaded all the wires and stuff through the trusses with extra wire and hidden it down a corner.
    I guess I missundestood something you were doing along the way.

I have faith, you'll get it right.
  • Catching up on your wonderful work here Kev. I'm not much help with lighting, just know it looks great when done.
  • edited July 2023
    as usual, i ended up taking a left turn on this one. i took a (nother) break and switched gears for a bit. i decided to scratch build a "theo and charlie's olde fashioned ice cream parlor and soda shop.
    i got the 4 walls done and that's about it so far. i used ho scale 2x12s cuz i had a boatload of them from nortons. i had run out of o scale 1 x 6s and tried the ho 2 x 12s. they were a tad too big so i ordered o scale 1 x 6 and had a ton of these left over. i didn't prestain them because i decided this structure would be pretty pristine. i sided all the walls (boards applied to chipboard subwalls) prior to priming/painting them, and only added nail holes where boards butted. after i got the windows and doors cut out i primed all the walls with rattle can grey, and then painted them white wash and primary red.

ice cream parlor 1
    since this pic was taken i got all 17 of the windows in and their glazing installed. i also have a checkerboard tiled floor for it. i'm trying to figure out how to fabricate some booths. my daughter is going to be doing the signage for this one.
  • Nice side project !!
  • I like it, however, I remember a few years back when MJ used orange and green Howard Johnson colors….whoo, what flak he got…..
  • the ice cream parlor turned out to be a rabbit hole. i'm currently populating the interior with lps i cut the legs off and glued into booths. i'm still waiting on my daughter to do the signage so i can finish the walls.
  • i'm happy to report that the ice cream shop is on hold and the logging and tractor repair is back on the work bench. first order of business was removing the trusses that i had built and installed.
    redoing the trusses 1
    this became necessary after i snipped the resistors off the leds and then was stuck with the dillema of soldering extentions on these:

redoing the trusses 2

and these:

redoing the trusses 3

i can't believe i'm putting myself through all this just so the roofs can be removeable, and the structure isn't even gonna be within reach. i gotta be nuts....
  • i'n not sure what happened to the second picture, but its just two leads from an led
  • Just remember "Model Railroading is fun!".....We do push the envelope.
  • edited August 2023
    Glad to see this beauty back on your bench and getting some attention.
    Keep on !
  • It will be worth it in the end Kevin. Keep at it. Wiring is fun sir.
  • took the truss assembly apart and ran two new leds.
    trusses apart
    i hope to be able to extend the led leads by soldering some microwire to them. jury is still out....
  • You will be happy with the end result.
  • by the way....
    i thought i'd share with you fellas a picture of me at my lakefront house.
    house on a lake
  • lol...certainly something to aspire to!
  • So sad…LOL
  • i've really been having a difficult time soldering the extensions on the led leads. what is the best eay to solder this microscopic stuff? its almost impossible for somebody with my eyes and hands to twist it together, and then when i do manage to twist it together, i flux it and solder it and the led doesnt work when iest it. the only way its worked is in the picture. below. i soldered it to copper tape. when itouch the battery pack leads to the tape the led works. my question for anyone brtter at this shit than me (which is liikely everyone....) can i also solder the second led's leads to the same copper tape, and then solder the corresponding leads from the battery back to the tape?
    micro wires
  • Kevin.
    Get some shrink tube slide on one of the wires twist together move the tube over the joint and heat it up no muss no fuss. ............
  • thanks carl, but that doesn't really address my question. and by the way, it
    s a 3 volt power supply/3 volt leds.
  • That's a geat idea Carl..... no soldering required at all!