visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• Let there be light
  • today i'll be trying to route the wires. with those shrink tubes i don't think i'll be able to hide them though.
  • They will be thick for sure. It's hard to say without seeing in person, but I'd try routing along the top of the rafter or the top of the board holding the light fixtures. I'd paint the shrink tube a dark brown. Run it down a corner wall...the least visible corner...use a 1x12 to hide it in the corner. Kind of create a triangle shaped channel with the board. That should blend in about as well as possible.
  • Wiring is always a conundrum...Brians on the right track to hide them....
  • edited April 2023
    yeah, that's exactly what i've decided to do. i glued that assembly into the building last night. in the meantime, i built a mockup of the structure out of chipboard so i could assemble the roofs off of the building.
    roofs on a mockup

the roof panels are just sitting there. i did that so that when i epoxy the roof halves together and then when the time comes to bend them into shape i can do it on the mockup. those trusses seem way too fragile to be pushing down on them. at least mine do, mostly due to my hamhandedness.
  • edited April 2023
    Looking great Kev, thats the way I plan my wiring out too, make a roof or structure mockup, make sure it all works ok and I've got enough wire.
    Nothing to do with ham handedness, you're doing great and thinking it all through the right way.
    Once happy it all gets transferred to the real roof/structure just like you are doing.
    Have faith in yourself, you're doing it right, no sense messing around with those beautiful roof panels and trusses until you need to.
    Keep up the good work.
  • This is coming along just fine Kev !!!
  • Looks great Kev!!

Jerry
  • edited April 2023
    thanks robert and jerry,

i epoxied the halfs (i thought about using halves, but decided that wouldn't be right) together, but i haven't epoxied the tractor roof to the logging roof. i figured i'd do that after a 24 hour period. i'd kinda like to figure out a way to beef these up a bit too. after that's done, i'm gonna build up the valleys while the roofs are on the mockup
    roof panel halfs epoxied1

and with a slightly different light.

roof panel halfs epoxied 2

it's a good thing i have alot of chipboard in stock. this is a great method for working on the roofs. doesn't put any stress on the building(s) at all.
  • Looks great and some handy tips.
  • i have a question for the forum. what i'm considering doing to beef up the roof a bit, is to put a fair amount of 2-part 5 minute epoxy in the "trough" where the panels meet.
    roof ridge marked

fact is, the only reason i haven't done it is because i'm worried about seepage. i would hate to go down there tomorrow morning to find that it had all seeped through. is this something i should worry aboutor will it be safe?
  • edited April 2023
    I did it, but with yellow glue on my current watertank roof.

I didnt, but if you are nervous, put some low tack blue or green painters tape on the underside of the roof peak to seal it and prevent the seep. It will peel of easy enough and if there are any little bits of tape that get epoxied in place they can be easily coloured to match the roof, but, they wont be seen anyway.

Then apply your epoxy to the trough.

The epoxy will set up fast enough so as not to seep anyway, but the tape seal underneath is our insurance policy and for our peace of mind.

Go for it.
  • thanks karl.. i'll do it in the morning. right now we're bingeing 'band of brothers".
  • i added a fair amount of epoxy in the 'trough' created by the two roof halfs and let that set up for a couple hours whilst i did the grocery shopping. then i put it temporarily in place and took picture.
    roof in place temporarily

i still have to do the same epoxy thing to the tractor repair roof.
    i decided that the roof cap would be scale 1x10s and would be pretty clean. i might make the ridge cap over the tractor repair shed a hodgepodge of various materials. if the roof appears to be off kilter it's because it is. i haven't done anything with the wires yet and they're holding the roof panel up a little.

p.s.
    if it seems like i'm going slow it's because i am.
    (i'm stalling in anticipation of the watertower and handcar repair shed.)
  • i did a bit more work on the roofs. if this works, turn the sound up to hear my witty reparte....
  • Good job on the video… good job on the roof
    Terry
  • edited April 2023
    Roof looks really great Kev, and thanks for the info in the video.

Nothing wrong with slow and steady, it gets the job done every time.
    (more progress than me... ha)
  • I totally agree with Karl, Kevin. The roof looks great as does the rest of the diorama.
  • Great coloring and work on the roof. Video turned out really well too!
  • thanks terry, karl, jen and tom.
    i decided the roof cap on the tractor repair is gonna be corrugated. if i run out i'll cobble something else together.
  • I like the roof.
  • Roof came out great, job well done!
  • thanks guys.
  • well i screwed the pooch and the roof will no longer be removable. while trying to conceal the wires, i snapped a truss, so i'm gonna have to rebuild it out of the wrong sized lumber, and that's gonna look pretty goofy when the roof is lifted off.
    damnit!!
  • Kev…. How ‘bout when you lift the roof off there’s a crew of LP working off ladders working a repair on the damaged truss….
    Terry
  • Kev, don't worry and don't panic, just walk away until tomorrow. Come back with a clear head and a plan. A broken truss isn't a problem.

Tomorrow, soften up the joints, take it off, take it apart and rebuild it. No big deal, you've already done it once.

I know it sucks and I've been there many, many times... deflation, frustration, and plain simple pissed off. I just dont usually post 'those' pics... haha

It's never so bad as it seems when you come back to it after a little time away.

Everything is coming along great, we all have set backs...

Keep on keeping on.
  • Looking good Kevin !! No need to rush things...
  • i built two trusses; one out of scale 4 x 4s" and one out of scale 2 x 6s. i'm gonna go with the one built with 2 x 6"s.
    the 4 x 4 truss is the one on the left.
    a tale of two trusses
  • i've decided to build two more and replace all of the trusses. this seems to make good sense, especially if the roof is going to be removeable. it would look stupid if i only replaced one. of course i'll have to dirty them up a bit, bu i think that's the way to go.
  • Looking good Kevin,
    that does sound like the right way to go so that everything matches.