visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• thanks.
    question for the group: if i switched to a 3 volt battery would i still need the resistors? how many lights would a 3 volt battery power?
  • edited April 2023
    If the Leds are 3v, and you use a 3v battery you wouldnt need a resistor because you wouldnt need to drop the voltage.
    I have sets of 20-30 lights that run off a 3v battery. (well, two 1.5v batteries coupled together therefor putting out 3v)
    The more lights you run then the quicker the battery would deplete but, for as little time as you would have them lit it wouldnt be an issue.
  • thanks karl. believe it or not that's what ithought.. hahaha
  • I believe you, no doubts...

I've had 20 or so running constantly on a couple of 1.5v AA's for over 6 hours, and then I stopped watching and went to bed because I got bored.
    Also, they were regular mini bulbs not LEDs, LED's use less power.
  • Kevin,
    That looks like a real construction site now. Keep on!!
  • edited April 2023
    JenS said:

Kevin,
    That looks like a real construction site now. Keep on!!

It needs some yellow "construction zone, caution" tape to keep people safe... haha ;-)
  • Might be a good idea to call for an electrical inspection !! LOL
  • lucky for me i know the inspector
  • The easiest way to make the wiring look like conduit is to solder straight brass wire pieces together in a pattern resembling the route for the wires.

Cut the leads for the lights short and solder them to the brass wire network.

Paint the brass wires aluminum color.

If you do this so the brass wire network just drops into place, it makes it easy to replace lights that may burn out.
  • thanks for the tip darryl. i just watched one of your videos yesterday and will be attempting a birdsnest (eventually). i might build a picnic table too...
  • well, i often refer to myself and my modeling efforts as ham handed. now i can attribute that phrase to my cooking efforts as well.
    two nights ago i somehow caught about two cups of molten hot mashed potatoes in my right palm, and now i have a handful of blisters.

don't ask....
    so everything's on hold whilst i heal up.
    blisters

the blisters are worse today but i didn't feel like taking another picture.
  • edited May 2023
    Ouch!!!!! I bet there were a few “gosh darns” flying
    Terry
  • Go to phamacy and get some silvadeine...
  • Flying mashed potatoes…now that’s a first for the Forum! Hope you can still post!
  • Go to phamacy and get some silvadeine...

been there, done that.

• ALCO said:

Flying mashed potatoes…now that’s a first for the Forum! Hope you can still post!

a first for out kitchen too.

• Ouch!!!!! I bet there were a few “gosh darns” flying
    Terry

yep, but not exactly.....

• Flying Mashed Taters ??? You need to stop experimenting with these crazy new scenery techniques you find on the web... stick to the manual.

Plenty of butter will sort that out... no, not the hand, but the taters will be much better.
  • Having spent some time in the burn center years ago.....take care of those blisters....don't pop them....infection is an issue...
  • Karl.A said:

Flying Mashed Taters ??? You need to stop experimenting with these crazy new scenery techniques you find on the web... stick to the manual.

Plenty of butter will sort that out... no, not the hand, but the taters will be much better.

yer killin' me.....

• Having spent some time in the burn center years ago.....take care of those blisters....don't pop them....infection is an issue...

thanks muddy. i'm being real careful. i found a kid to cut my grass today so as NOT to pop the damn things.

• That’s what we do, right? Throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks? Hope you’re back at the bench soon!
  • edited June 2023
    this thing has been waiting for an order from evan designs for about a month, and it came today. i ordered some more leds and shrink tube, but what took so long was the 30 ft of their magnetic wire; the same stuff they wire the leds with. the reason i wanted it is to get rid of the shrink tube inside the building. i'm just gonna extend the leads. so i will be futzing with that for a while. what was i doing as i waited for the order? a fair amount of sam adams and i screwed around trying luke towan's method for tall pines. first two kinda bombed, but i think the third one is gonna be okay. if it is i'll post a pic of it.
  • Kevin,
    Great you are back.
  • Glad your back Kev….i was wondering where you’ve been
    Terry
  • not too crazy about how this looks. this is after applying 7mm static grass, painting it brown (rattlecan), and then applying 7mm green on top of that. i have two bags of 4mm (different shades of green), and i'm wondering if that would help it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, cuz as you can see, i have another one ready to flock.
    tall pine
  • Hi Kevin,
    The trunk itself is looking good to me. You may build the treebase a bit wider.
    I assume you applied the static grass with an applicator?. If so, this might be the reason for the cotton ball look of the limbs. I like to use 12mm fibers first, trying to place them more or less horizontal on the wire.
  • edited June 2023
    JenS said:

Hi Kevin,
    The trunk itself is looking good to me. You may build the treebase a bit wider.
    I assume you applied the static grass with an applicator?. If so, this might be the reason for the cotton ball look of the limbs. I like to use 12mm fibers first, trying to place them more or less horizontal on the wire.

thanks jens.
    i didn't use an applicator. i used elmers aerosol adhesive and dropped the fibers on by hand. i'll order some 12mm when i get paid in a couple weeks. and try that. as you can see, i have another one teed up and ready for another go, but that's the last balsa dowel i have, so if this one doesn't work out i'll put the whole tree thing to bed for a while.

• edited June 2023
    I think it's a good first attempt, it's very hard to put these things into practice, we know what we want, but....
    It's going to make a great background tree, trust me, I have hundreds of background trees so I know.
    I think it needs more brown airy branch structure and less big, dense bright green stuff.

But what do I know, I've got 1500 trees that will now end up in the background, somewhere...
  • Karl.A said:

I think it's a good first attempt, it's very hard to put these things into practice, we know what we want, but....
    It's going to make a great background tree, trust me, I have hundreds of background trees so I know.
    I think it needs more brown airy branch structure and less big, dense bright green stuff.

But what do I know, I've got 1500 trees that will now end up in the background, somewhere...

[forehead smack]