visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• I like the weathered gray
  • Roof panels look fantastic. Looking forward to watching you bring this all together - with the lighting. This structure will benefit greatly from good lighting for sure.
  • I like the variation in your roofs. Nice job.
  • The variation of grey tones are nice....I like the look...
  • admin said:

Roof panels look fantastic. Looking forward to watching you bring this all together - with the lighting. This structure will benefit greatly from good lighting for sure.</blockq

i'm still trying to figure out the best way to go about it. i built a cradle out of chipboard to hold the trusses upside down while i screw around with options.
    i'll be back when i figure something out.

thanks fellas, i think the roofs look a little dark for my taste, but i'll reevaluate once they're installed on the structure.

• Every things looks good Kevin. I like the rusted color on the corrugated metal. Randy
  • edited March 2023
    well fellas, this is a cry for help. i've been scratching my head for weeks about how to do this. (lighting the logging repair shed). so here's what i've done so far:
    i built a cradle out of chipboard for holding the trusses in place.

lighting 1

lightijng 1 from end

i should mention here that i intend to make the roofs removeable.
    the cradle is the same length as the logging shed so i could better visualize where i wanted the lights. i decided to only put two lights in this part of the structure. so i took my biggest microbit and drilled two holes ina scale 2 x 8 for the light fixtures, then i took a reamer to enlarge the holes so that i could push the fixture up into the board.

lighting 2

and this is where is began to suck:

LED
    i hoped to push the wires up through the fixture, then i saw the black thing. don't know what it or what it's for. i'm stuck right here. can anyone provide me a direction to head in from here?

i have another dilemma. i have a bag 3 that's almost full of lumber after my walls and roofs are all built out (except the valleys). why do i have all of this left over wood? i've gone back through the manual a number of times to see if i've missed anything and i haven't. have some 8" large dimension boards in bag three and have no idea what they could be for. any ideas?
  • edited March 2023
    I think the "black thing" is shrink tubing over a resistor. If I understand your concern correctly, you should be able to cut it off, thread the wire and then solder it back on assuming you have room to work. I have micro shrink tubing from the bay that I use. It is used for insulation in this application. The resistor reduces the voltage of your power source down to the 3-4ish volts the LED needs.
  • edited March 2023
    Yeah, I thought resistor too Jim, good spotting and advice on the solution. Thread some wire you need and then solder it back in before the power supply wherever is easiest.

The flow along the wire should be Power -> Resistor -> LED, the distance doesn't matter so just put it where you can or add whatever wire you need to.

I'll have a look through the manual and my kit box tomorrow Kev to investigate your wood situation.
    We're at about the same stage so I'll see what I have left. The box is not accessible right now or I'd do it for you tonight. What dimension are they?
  • 8" 4 x 10
    6" 2x 4
    4" 3x6
    3" 3x4
    1 1/2" 6x10
    1 1/2" 3x8
    6" 4x4
    4 3/4" 1x4

i've only used a few boards from bag 3 and there's alot left and i have no idea what they're for.
  • edited March 2023
    Pallets and saw horses will take up quite a bit of the wood if you haven't done those yet, if I remember right the ridge caps which we haven't done yet. Also you used less for your shingles and roofing with your fantastic patch job. Also the open stud wall where the Bates is.

It's always best to have some left overs and Brett takes care of that for us,

I'll check what I have tomorrow, but, I always find Brett has it right by the time I get to the last page of the manual and a finished model on my desk... haha.

A few strips of wood left over to allow for errors or variation, a beautiful model/diorama on the bench and a few extra details I just couldn't squeeze into the finished scenes.
    Life is good. :-)
  • karl,
    you're right. i haven't done any sawhorses or pallets yet, so that will probably eat up some of the lumber, but the 4 x 10s?
  • led wiring question:
    i'm going to cut the resistor off and "reinsert" it closer to the power supply so i domnt have to try to hide it within the structure. my question is this: i'm gonna remove the resistor from 2 leds, and thread them through the shades, and up onto the top of the 2x8 board i have the shades attached to. i'll probably add lengths of wire to the leds. here's the actual question: once i've done that can i solder the led wires together and then only use one resistor before the power, or will i still need 2 of them. i know nothing aboiut this stuff and am flying by seat of my pants. i haven't done any lighting since norton's other than a single light post, and can't remember anything i learned from norton's.
    i didn't take electronics in high school. i took building trades.....lol
  • What voltage are the bulbs? dependant on who you got them from...they may be rated for 3 volts...in that case...I've used just a 3 volt button battery to power 2-3 lights if the wire run isn't too long. If you use more voltage, you may need to have a resistor to knock it down to 3 volts as close to the lights as possible.
  • edited March 2023
    the bulbs are from evan designs. i think they're 3 volt. they come with a resistor attached, but i had to remove them.
    light wiring1
    i snipped the resistor off of two leds and fed them up through the shades. (i noticed that the resistor was only connected to the red wire) since both of the led leads are twisted together i think it's safeto assume that they won't short each other out. looking at the above picture, i'm considering running the wire from each led toward the middle truss, wrapping them together and running all four wires along the center truss and to the power source. i will probably add 6-8" of wire to all the leads to get them "off stage", and then solder the resistor(s) to the red wire, then attach the wires to the 9 volt battery souarce. i'd like to know if i need to keep the wires separate, and if i need both resistors.
    yeah, it's true. i really know that little about this stuff....
  • Yes you need both resistors Kevin.
  • CarlB said:

Yes you need both resistors Kevin.

thanks buddy

• edited March 2023
    Yep, that's, what I'd do too Kev for the routing.
    CarlB knows his stuff on this kind of thing.
  • The Evans LED's are most likely 3v, so as stated...yes...you need to have a resistor on each red lead....
  • well today's efforts are gonna be spent clearing off the workbench. it's gotten to the point where i can't find anything, so i need to take care of that first, then i'm gonna make the leads longer and see what i can figure out.
    Karl.A said:

Yep, that's, what I'd do too Kev for the routing.
    CarlB knows his stuff on this kind of thing.

he sure does.

• I'm at that point myself.....went to do some work the other day.....realized I had 3 projects on the worktop all at once.....plus just buying a 3D printer.....I need to clean up first....
  • you can go to you tube and search "fire in an oscale forge" and it'll pop right up. i don't know why it isn't working here.
  • I think it's because it's one of those "shorts"... Not a standard YT vid
  • Went and looked and indeed very cool.
  • admin said:

I think it's because it's one of those "shorts"... Not a standard YT vid

it was my first attempt and it's not very user friendly (at all). i didn't realize there is a difference, and they don't tell you.
  • admin said:

Went and looked and indeed very cool.

thanks boss.

• Nicely done Kevin, looks awesome.
  • Looks great Kevin, very nicely done.
    I found anything less than 1min on youtube gets classed as a 'short' and I haven't found out how to embed them yet.
    Just leave the camera running for just over a min long and then there are no probs posting them here.
    Forge looks great !
  • thanks karl. it looks great because you told me how to do it. thanks for that.
  • did a test of the lighting.
    lighting test

now the wires.......