visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the Engine House at Eureka Springs

Comments

• Thanks Robert
  • An absolutely stunning piece of art.
    So much to look at and find.
    Really great work, Ken.
    I look forward to your close-up shots so I can see even more.
  • Great modeling, Ken…. I admire how you can think “outside the box “ (ie the hillside concept)..
    Always enjoy following your builds
    Terry
  • edited November 2021
    Appreciate that Rusty...I should be able to get some detailed pics and post this evening.

Hey thanks Terry! My first few builds were flat diorama bases with very little relief. I decided to change that up staring with Scotia Supply and now with Eureka Springs. Next in line is Shelby’s Marine which also has some nice topography...so l am looking forward to that build coming up.
  • Like Karl says, this’ll take some time to absorb! Can’t wait for the next installment.
  • Another OUTSTANDING build! I love your creative genius with how you are able to take what is a well designed and great kit and add your creative touches to it. It almost doesn't look like the original kit it is so well executed. Can't wait to see the close up, detail photos. I have to ask where you got the steam engine?
  • Thanks for checking it out Al.

Really appreciate that Tom. I'll PM you on the mill engine.
  • I got a chance to get a few detail pics here and there. Let me know if anyone would like a specific close up and I'd be happy to post it...

IMG_1772

Here's a shot of the small utility shed I designed and service pole. I put the additional support pole buddied up against the main pole for added interest. Note: All the barrels are Brett's amazing 3D printed detail parts. Note the lid detail!

IMG_1774

Other side of the shed. Short wood basket peeking out from behind the barrel and the gas cans are SWSM 3D printed details.

IMG_1785

This is the front of the main structure and followed the prototypical reference pictures quite closely. Gas cans SWSM 3D Printed details.

IMG_1808

IMG_1796

Close up of mill engine and belt drive line shaft detail.

IMG_1814

Mill engine and boiler service area.

IMG_1811

Looking all the way back to the machine shop addition.

IMG_1805

Machine shop lower level. All details, other than the shovel, are Brett's 3D Detail parts... Note the wood basket sitting on top of the galvanized tub and pail on the upper level...all 3D printed SWSM parts!

• ah the money shot! unreal. you've really outdone yourself with this build. fantastic looking diorama. congratulations on a job impeccably done!
  • Thanks Kev, appreciate that and there is CCTV in there so don't be taking anything!
  • Ok, I give up Ken, going to take a long vacation from this hobby. Looks too real!!
    Outstanding Work!!
  • Lol...We'll give you until tomorrow afternoon!...Thanks buddy, appreciate that and nice having you here.
  • Well Ken, I am happy that you found some lights and little people to add to your great diorama
  • Beautiful work Ken!! Your painting and weathering of Brett's new details perfection!

Jerry
  • Couldn't get any better. I plan on incorporating your power service pole in my next build. Hope I can do as good of a job on O as you do in HO.

I'd like you to consider dressing the edges of your foam base for final presentation. A diorama of this high standard deserves it. The rough/unfinished foam stands in contrast to the work you have done. Stripwood, veneer, or sheet plastic painted black would all serve this purpose and act as a frame to draw the viewer's attention into the action.
  • Really amazing work. The shack is a really nice detail and for some reason I'm really drawn to the jib crane.
  • Beautiful detailing . I agree completely with Brian. If you're not building these dioramas into a layout, they deserve this kind of presentation. Again, superb work.
  • That shot through the interior of the building from one end to the other is killer!
  • edited November 2021
    FWIW, I’ve been spraying my base edges with Krylon Stone coarse texture that gives an unfinished coarse travertine marble look. It also hides the seam between the foam and the wood.
  • Looks fantastic Ken!
  • Another Masterpiece! Nice subtle coloring. The layering and textures of the scenery are GREAT! Really like the interior shots of the mill engine and boiler service area.
  • Right Stephen, there is also a light in the machine shop but it doesn't show up that area very well with the main roof in place. You can still peek in through the partially open doors. Should have had at least one open a bit more.

Thanks Jerry and yes, those 3D parts are just a blast to work with.

Appreciate that Bryan. I haven't adding anything to the borders of the base on any of my builds. I have thought about it though...

Hey Thanks so much Ben and nice hearing from you.

Thanks Robert, will give the finishing of the borders due consideration! Lol.

Appreciate that Al and that's the best I could do on that shot regarding depth of field with my iPhone 12. Thanks for the method of using the coarse texture spray paint. I have seen that stuff used for stucco on models.

Hey Steve, thanks

Nice to hear from you Tom and appreciate the kind words here. That service area turned out reasonably well as I was pondering how it was going to look.

• Just fantastic work. I'll need a few days to pore over the pictures. So many details, so beautifully rendered. Thanks so much for everything you share. It's nice to know where the bar is set.
  • i can't imagine any diorama more perfect than this one. i'm in awe.
  • Thanks Joel. It's all about the camaraderie and knocking elbows with you all. That's why I enjoy posting so much as it stimulates great conversation and banter, modeling is a close second.

Awfully nice of you to say Kev, but just don't look too close! Lol. I echo what I said to Joel here...you all are the best.
  • edited November 2021
    Now that I've seen and study the pictures. Ken this is truly a masterpiece!!

Jerry
  • Hey jerry, appreciate that and nice hearing from you as always!
  • edited November 2021
    agree Jerry, ken does fantastic work!
  • Thanks Pappy, when I hear that, my comment is always...I'm enthusiastic and work hard at it! That's about it...Lol. Hey pap, meant to tell you how much we all appreciate your contribution to the forum. Your camaraderie and modeling prowess has benefited everyone, thanks for hanging out with us here!
  • Ken, fantastic modeling. I love it.