visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Truck repair and other randomness.

Comments

• Top notch work!
  • Thanks for the kind words.

Here are some special items i recently received. i think these will add a lot of character.

The hard part will be deciding how many to use...

IMG_7307
    IMG_7311
  • they sure grunge up nice don't they?
  • Kevin,

yeah. it will be intersting to see if i can paint these well enough to do them justice.

Here is a little progress from this evening. i got the drive belts connected. in the below overhead photo the bracing has been removed. I installed those as a temporary fix to keep everything secure while handling the structure.

IMG_7322
    IMG_7317
    IMG_7318
  • I think 1 or 2 crushed barrels will look great in an area. Depending on the size of the diorama will determine how many of these areas you can have. A detail like that will look best when used sparingly.
  • I added a few details by the lathe and drill press.

I also tried something new to me with regards to weathering the wood at the door openings.. i used an artis rubber eraser to literally erase some of the weathering. i think it came out decent for a worn entry way..?

5298EDC0-9CEB-42F5-A9BF-802B16137D5C
    2E29050C-1466-4980-A039-64AE40780785
    82EF8D28-DB4E-4B27-B513-7F633DC75D78
    IMG_7330
  • Input please.

What are everyones thoughts on the "chips" This is metal dust collected from under my welding table. Thus, this is actual mill scale and sanded carbon steel particles.

None of it is glued down yet. So, if it's not that great i can dump it and brush it off.

6014BCEE-48AB-4B9C-9A90-3EB0B043AA64
    34BE217A-FAD5-4E91-A440-B63FBB076B66
    F6EF533F-A170-4F26-8669-5E780DED3B7C
  • to my shitty eyes it's perfect. i think it looks great. it sure lets the observer know that it's an active machine shop.
  • I think that was a good idea!
  • I love the idea and the look. However, I would probably pull it back a little. Personal opinion, the chips would be more localized to the equipment that created it and not spread quite so far out. Again, personal opinion, otherwise love it....Rick
  • I like the worn paths. I'll have to try the artists eraser. I usually use sandpaper.

I like the dirt and debris that is accumulating in the corners and behind the machines. Like Rick, I think the metal shavings should be more localized. The coloring of the metal shavings is just right. I usually save some of the filings and drillings from the white metal castings for this detail. They turn out a bit on the bright side unless blackened a bit.
  • Great work Alex
  • Here is where i am currently at. i "redefined" the walk paths. again with the rubber eraser. i also cleard a bit of a walk way to the machines. These would be less worn than the main entrances ect i think?

I've also started on the roof.. I have no idea how this ended up. I really liked Bryans roof on his tractor repair v2.0... But, i have 2 other roofs besides this one..

I took a photo of the roof "framing" as to how i did that part.

For the chips ect, i gathered some of the dust ect under my welding table. A lot of the stuff under there had a layer of millscale grindings from weld prep.. So, that is what was used.

51747E2C-E79E-4ACE-A707-98367D7B24D0
    IMG_7368
    95F1BC5D-068C-447E-935D-EA282D3FE910
    7211CCF4-FE2A-4C20-AE00-1E4DEF0CAA29
    7FF697D3-29A0-48AB-A9D8-D91F962111ED
    6959B0E3-C73D-4D69-BAD0-2C4ABA8026EF
  • edited March 2021
    The two red items need to be chipped and dusted with some 408.3 to dull them down. Anything red always stands out too much. Hammer handle also needs some 408.3 to blend it in. Paint the top of the fire extinguisher brass and dust it with black chalk to dull it.
    Try to 'merge/blend' the light floor to dark floor, it seems to be too defined and a harsh line between the two.
    That's what grabs my eye the most, everything at this early stage is coming along beautifully and I'm looking forward to more progress as it evolves.
  • The two red things...

That last photo one immediately sees the fire extinguisher and the c clamp..

K, i'll do some painting and some blending
  • This morning i added a some oil and kerosene. You can see the tip of the craft needle that i used. i didnt use a brush becuase i wanted it to "flow" hopefully like the real world... this is the first layer, i may add more and blend it. But, wanted to get something down to for drying.

IMG_7381
  • Dryed and blended. i almost want to say i think i'm done with the floor.....

IMG_7387
  • I think the floor is finished as well. Looks much better! Subtle blending.
  • That floor looks fantastic. You pulled the shavings back some and blended everything perfectly. You toned down the C clamp too. Looks very natural now....Rick
  • Much improved, looks great so far.
  • huge thumbs up on the floor!
  • Very nice finish on the floor.
  • Ok, i now i think i might be done with the floor. during this process i've done a decent amount of research. Evindely back in the day they used to use a lard/kerocene/sulfer mix as a cutting oil.. So, i the bucket at the end of the lathe has kerocene laquer in it and i also put some around it, because i almost always spill any liquid i'm using in the garage ect....

Next will be the roof i think? or, i may do the boiler and get that plumbed to the steam engine... not sure.

3C6EF836-83E8-4C4C-868D-5499294FDA8D
    6B602FEF-46D1-4D29-8A4E-96612BF8F7C8
  • Looks great. Everything is looking like it comes from the same shop. The layers of grime and grease and even metal shaving are nicely done.
  • I made a bit of progress on the boiler then incorporated it into the slab. As you can tell a lot of everything is drying..

IMG_7442
    IMG_7443
    IMG_7444
  • i finally figured out how to turn the flash on..! i've only had this phone for 6 months?? Anyhow, this is the current status of the steam engine/boiler. I re-did the steam pipe..

IMG_7469
    IMG_7470
    IMG_7471
  • The asbestos wrap looks good.
  • great job. love the concrete slab and the way everything is blended into it rather than looking like it was placed there yesterday. oil stain looks perfect as well.
  • Alex,

I agree with Bryan that the asbestos wrap around the steam pipe is very realistic and era appropriate. Was one of the first things I noticed when I looked over your photos of the boiler build. Incredible how some modelers can incorporate fine details like that into their modeling. You have a great eye for that type of fine detail.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ