visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Truck repair and other randomness.

Comments

• Alex, this looks great. Can't wait to see it in place. Phil
  • kevin, it is a casting. However, it also has a real coal load as well. i machined out the casting to put the coal load in.

So, you're not mistaken. i'll post a few photos later today.
  • Kevin,

Here is the process. Also, the last photo is with the lights off in the room.

20201212_224913070_iOS
    20201212_224918857_iOS
    20201212_225025969_iOS
    20201212_225029646_iOS
    20201214_042118998_iOS
  • that's some very cool stuff!
  • Alex, I like your series of pictures - like show and tell. Reminds me of someone, but I just can't think of their name??? Phil
  • awesome!
  • The forge looks great. Wish I had one of those machines.
  • I've made a little progress.... i hope to do the rest of the paint tomorrow.

IMG_6693-01
  • A bulldozer blade and winch! I like those.
  • love it, what an awesome addition to your repair shed...
  • Here is the current progress of the large tractor.. I'm in the process of re-doing the control levers for the winch.. it wasnt quite square and was driving me crazy.

I havent oxidized any of the white metal pieces yet. So, those will be done in the next couple days possibly.

IMG_6722
    IMG_6719
    IMG_6720
    IMG_6718
  • looks awesome!
    the seat might be a little too pristine though...
  • Thanks.

kebmo said:

the seat might be a little too pristine though...

Yeah, the seat only has the first coat of paint; no weathering yet.
  • Great job! Weathered up nicely!
  • I like the accumulated gunk in the treads.
  • edited January 2021
    Great addition to the build. Track weathering looks like it should, well done.
  • Looks great Alex, chipping is wonderful...
  • Three things left to do at this point potenitally.

1) paintchip the inside of the tracks?
    2) weather the seat a bit more, when i put the cloth and other items on the seat?
    3) i have some steel cable to put on the winch.

IMG_6743
    IMG_6742
    IMG_6741
    IMG_6739
    IMG_6738
  • Love it !!!
  • I like that a lot. For sure add the cable.
  • sure looks like the real deal to me.
  • Digging the tracks...looks great...
  • Great job! Weathered up nicely!
  • Alex,

Incredible modeling as always. Thanks for posting these great photos.
    The fuel spill over the tank is masterfully rendered.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/274/0HGNMI61ZR8G.jpg
    The overall weathering on this piece makes it a work of art in and of itself.

Later, Dave S, Tucson, AZ
  • Fantastic work. The treads are rusted beautifully. Love the paint chips.
  • Love the work and can only imagine all the time that went into this wonderful piece. The techniques are excellent and will be an inspiration when I get back to finishing my bulldozer.
  • I've made a little progress; I got the floor assembled for what will be a work shop.

Also, here is a photo of the finished tractor under repair (with the exception of weathering of the seat and final detail parts).

IMG_6821

Here is the progress of my work shop.

IMG_6856
    IMG_6857
  • edited January 2021
    Dude, that tractor looks awesome, beautiful weathering, such a great job on capturing the realism, you obviously did quite some research, and, translated that skillfully.
    The machine shop is coming on nicely, having all the drive belts running in the same direction is great planning and will make things much easier when you get to the drive shaft construction. The machines are all looking terrific so far.
    Looking forward to more pics and progress.
    (that oil can in the top right corner needs to be more 'oily')
  • edited January 2021
    Karl,

Thanks.

I actually have a ziplock bag of metal shavings from sanding to prep for welding (i think i know where it is...). I will be using some of this on the flooring when i get to the point of gluing the machinery down.

I will make note to oil up the can.