visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Truck repair and other randomness.

123457»

Comments

• I agree with all above. Some fabulous modeling Alex....Rick
  • I like the new version of the insulation much better, greatly improved look to my eye.
    Will you be adding some 'duct tape' bands holding it in place ?...
    Slab is looking great, nice and nasty.
  • Boy is this some very intricate work. You’re doing a great job. Phil
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Karl, i might? i have material cut and painted.. if i can find it.. Otherwise, i can cut more. i think 3 straps on the top pipe and 2 on the bottom would be "correct" ish?

This is V.20 of the cover. the first version i used 10"x10" scale wood and made it much taller. i asked my wife as i was thinking it was a bit too much especailly next to the machine shop.. This version is using 6"x6" framing lumber. i will need to add some bolts to the cross members and bracing from the research i've done...

But, for right now, i'm trying to figure out what type of material to use as a roof..... i could "borrow" the roof from the tractor repair. Or, do a metal or tar paper roof..

Not really sure, if anyone has an ideas or reference photos they'd like to share i would apprecaite it.

IMG_7524
    IMG_7521
    IMG_7522
    IMG_7523

IMG_7529
  • edited March 2021
    I wouldnt do tar paper over the boiler... kinda askin for it to get burned down...
    Shingle that sucker, one by one...

6x6 posts look the perfect size, proportionately it all looks good.

Some of that 45 bracing catches my eye, and detracts.
    A perfect 45 is the easiest cut in framing, they are always right, esp on bracing for strength.

Looking great and I'm really liking those wood colours.

(Stop using the flash)
  • This is kind of what it will look like together. Please keep in mind, i'm still working on the machine shop roof..

IMG_7533
    IMG_7534
    IMG_7535
  • Those structures will look good together. The lumber size is just right. The tarpaper or corrugated will look good in contrast to the shingles on the main building.
  • This is kind of where i am at right now. This is a temporary base for layout purposes. The size is 21.5" by 31.5". As everyont that has built the tractor repair and the truck repair knows, theres a bit more work to go. But, slowly i'm getting there. I will need to decide on the details.

I'm not sure if it's legable or not. But, i was thinking about having a road behind the logging repair building.. Something to fill that space a bit. Not exactly sure yet.

IMG_7613
    IMG_7617
    IMG_7614
    IMG_7612
    IMG_7616
  • Going to be impressive.

What's the work relationship between the tractor repair and the machine shop? I would presume that one supports the other. What would you think about putting the power supply for the machine shop on the back side of the line shaft wheel or even turning this structure completely around? I'm only thinking about a connector road/path joining these 2 structures.
  • edited April 2021
    I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to weathering tar paper roofs that i havent stumbled across?

This was what i was kind of thinking as a base for weathering.

IMG_7629

Bryan, i was contemplating putting a pile of stuff in between the machine shop and truck repair as a staging area for parts to be machined.
  • If the tarpaper seen here is glued on, then chalks and/or washes to weather it. I have a 2oz bottle of alcohol that I keep refilling to color my wood. It has a lot of chalk settled on the bottom of it. Shake it up and you have a nice dusty wash. If not glued down, try putting a speck or 2 of glue on your workbench. When it's completely dry put a strip of tarpaper over it and sand it. You will get some interesting worn holes in the paper.

That being said, I've gone completely with using tissue as worn tarpaper as it will show the outline of the wood underneath.
  • edited April 2021
    Lightly sanding the leading edges of the paper strips before applying them will give the edge a lighter rough worn look...great work and enjoy seeing everything staged...