visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Truck repair and other randomness.

Comments

• I live in Colorado at 8000 feet where anything left outside for any period of time is going to get really weathered...just like the green cabinet. Looks appropriate to an outdoor setting.
  • I always try to have photos and signs on the level...
  • Bryan, i used chalks. i put a few drops of IPA down and then sprinkled the chalk. The bottom layer is track rust, then the top lay is a dirt color chalk.

So, all of the weathering is reversable. and i can still lay that wall flat to make any changes.
  • Alex, since it is chalk you should be able to manipulate it easily. I would try wetting a brush in alcohol and blot it on a paper towel then lightly brush down the front of cabinet. This will start to streak your rust and break up the large accumulations. Go slow and check after a few strokes before going at it again. Stop when you are happy with the result.

I agree with the comments above that a rusty cabinet would be appropriate hanging on an exterior wall. I also agree with your initial assessment.
  • Here is the current status of the Tuck repair.. it's now a a 3d structure....

IMG_5602
    IMG_5603
    IMG_5604
    IMG_5606
    IMG_5607
    IMG_5608
    IMG_5609
  • I love it. It looks great. Definitely great modeling. Rick
  • Agree on that !!!
  • Alex,

Great color, texture and tone in your siding plus the details and signs compliment everything splendidly.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • It went together very nice. Top notch work on the Ford wall sign. I found that wall bracket to be finicky.
  • Wow...it's looking great.....the coloring and weathering is really nice......inspiring...
  • Really looks great. Phil
  • Phil, it looks awesome and if you can't decide on a place to use it, I'm sure it will be proudly incorporated here!
  • Ed, I'm constantly upgrading or replacing structures so there's always room for a new one.
  • Thank you Ed, I relish the compliment. It's a pleasure being your friend as well.
  • Great modelling. Love to see the little touches everyone adds. Looking forward to more.
  • i still believe the cabinet needs a little red rust. other than that, this is spectacular. i especially love the way the interior work bench looks. tools and things are placed randomly and i think it's.......are you ready for it? perfect!
  • So, this was delivered today....

I'll be starting on this pertty soon.

IMG_5780
  • Having build that one myself, I will follow yours from the first row !!! It's a great kit. Well, if you count the two tractors, there three kits in one.
  • Nice. I have one of those on order myself. Built one for the layout already but such a great kit I got another one.
  • Are these symptoms of the SW addiction ? :blush:
  • i was thinking i might incorporate some machines in lieu of the blacksmith items.

However, in order for the machines to work i'd need a boiler and a steam engine as well... Then, somewhere to put these added items.. I was discussing this idea with Brett and he mentioned that i would be ideal to prototype this... i usually wing it.. However, with the addition of machinery that will connect to other items, i completely agree with Brett's advice. Also, i get the added bonus of having a sample building to plan the base with.

Brett also mentioned that Brian Nolan had done the above idea on some of his projects; i will likely do something similar to what he did. Just not exactly sure what yet..

I even weathered my prototype. :smile:
    IMG_5793
    IMG_5795

• Is there a photo of Brian Nolan's idea of the incorporated machinery ? I am curious of what you want to do with this kit.
  • I like that idea a lot.
  • Robert,

Here is an example that i found online. As both of you have built this kit, last night i was thinking about putting the boiler/engine combo just to the right of the big opening and then having the pully rod enter from the side of the building like in the photo below...

Again, i'm at the brain storming stage...

On30_annual_2010_033tn
  • Thanks for the pic Alex. Keep storming....
  • I've made a bit of progress on the walls for the tractor repair. I'm working on the windows now and may possibly have a 3d object by the end of the weekend? maybe...

IMG_5855
  • The walls looks terrific. Natural variation and weathering. Well done!
  • Indeed, they look good !!
  • Looks good.