visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Truck repair and other randomness.

Comments

• Ok, this is what i've been up to of late....

This is a scratch built structure using Brett's templates.. This is actually part of the tractor repair building. However, it works perfect for my intended application. Last night i finished the pully roughin. However, i still need to Oxidize the copper pipe and then glue it in place..

For those of you who are familiar with Brian Nolan, i am using a couple of his builds as insiration for this portion. he built several diorma's with outside line shafts and steam engine boiler combos.

This strucutre is "almost" done. This will also explain why i did not use the lathe in the intended spot per the manual.

I may play with placement a bit, as i dont entirely like the grinder right next to the lathe. I would never have a grinder this close to my lathe... But, we'll see. i also need room for the saw to be practicle as well. i may swap them.. or swap and move the saw more to the center of the room..

I had a door built... So, this wont be a "doorless" shop; just need to get around to that bit..

If anyone has any idea's i would be glad to hear them.

IMG_7054
    IMG_7061
    IMG_7063
    IMG_7064
    IMG_7065
  • I like where you are going with this. The roof will sure be interesting.

Blackening that shaft will be a chore. I find that brass or copper never take blackener as well as white metal. Painting is an option but its hard to match the patina of the blackener.

I would think about the placement of the wheel on the outside of the building. I don't think you have it in the final position so I would think either close to the wall or with some kind of support for where it is.
  • edited February 2021
    Looking good so far Alex, I hope its going to be well lit to see those beautiful machines, it would be a shame to hide them and that work.

I'm like you Bryan, I can never get the brass to blacken, it always just wipes off, I always just spray it with flat black rattle can now right before final assembly. (scuff it with some fine grit first to give it tooth).

Looking forward to more Alex.

Karl.A
  • Alex,
    I always enjoy seeing you modeling projects. Nice idea for an alternate use for the footprint of one of my favorite structure's from Brett. looking forward to more progress and photos.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Just a word from someone into steam engines and line shafts....the diameter of those pulleys will have those machines spinning really...really fast.
  • Ha, Yeah Art, but hey, the faster you get the job done the sooner you can take a break...
  • Just a word from someone into steam engines and line shafts....the diameter of those pulleys will have those machines spinning really...really fast.

Art, i went through all of the pullies that i had for a 1/16 diameter shaft and these are all i have set aside.. So, i kind of cobbled this together with what i have on hand- and, i have no experince with line shafts... But, I completely get what your saying though. I'm sure there's an ideal shaft speed and then an ideal machine pully main diameter to gear off of. Right now there is a little superglue on 1 end of each of the shafts in the photos below.

If i can find correct sized pullies i'll swap them out.

To that point, i went through my "extras" and found some 1/16" brass tube. So, i used that. i'll use the copper somewhere else....

This is where i'm at right now.

IMG_7072
    IMG_7073
    IMG_7074
  • For me, the visual realism of modeling is more important that functional realism. I know there are the rivet counters who consider this heresy but its just my modeling approach. So oversized pulleys would not matter to me as long as they looked good. When I see the 2 large pulleys on the inside to the right, I wonder if one of them might look better if you swapped it out with a smaller one. That way there are not 4 of the same size right there together. Another "look good" trick I have used on pulleys is to lightly wipe the areas where the belts go with some steel wool to give them a bit of a shine.
  • I am a big fan of "if it looks ok to you" its ok. I know the pain of trying to find the right details to model with. So if you are happy with it....go with it....I am far....far from a rivet counter....
  • I've made a little progress as well as made some adjustments.. I was also able to score some new items to add. This is what i currently have... The machine shop is coming along.... Obvously there is more to go... Once i finish with this structure, then i will be able to start working on laying out the buildings ect and figuring out how all this will come together...

IMG_7169
    IMG_7176
    IMG_7177
    IMG_7173
  • Looking great Alex, the new/replaced wheels look fantastic , I also noticed the graining/staining/detailing/variation of the siding boards in the second picture this time, last time I was focused on the interior, nice work on those boards.

After seeing your work on the cat, (among other things) I'm really looking forward to seeing your work on the boiler and horizontal engine...
  • edited March 2021
    I was going to comment on your working/displaying on a cardboard box, then in the last pic I noticed the glass, I'm guessing the box is to protect the table beneath, good thinking.
  • Karl,

This work area is actually the formal dinning room table.. i have a glass table upstairs as well.. But, for single strucutre level stuff i work on that stuff down stairs, then go upstairs afterwords.

My wife was grasious enought to agree to let me use half of the formal dinning room table. The deal we made was packing blanket->cardboard->glass. You can kind of see the layers in the below photo. I havent had to pack any of that stuff up yet.. If we host and use that table... Then, i'll move everything upstairs. Or, when the little one grows enough that she can reach the diorama stuff on that table.....

IMG_7178
  • Beautiful place to model in, and most importantly you can do it around the ones you love and not be locked away somewhere away from the family, lucky guy.

(That 'ride on' toy needs weathering and rusting up a bit... )
  • I made a bit of progress on the power area.. next will be the boiler and the associated plumbing.

IMG_7205
    IMG_7207
    IMG_7203
    IMG_7206
  • The horizontal engine looks great Alex, beautifully and precisely assembled. I'm eager for more.
  • Fantastic job on the engine....Rick
  • Agreed !!
  • Then engine is awesome.
  • This is just wonderful modeling at all levels. Proud of you!
  • That is some very detailed modeling and you pulled it off very well. Congratulations. Phil
  • Great modelling. The engine is beautifully finished.
  • Thanks for the kind words everyone. I've made a bit more progress today on other things for this diorama (i'll post some photos tomorrow). i have a few more items to finish, then i can start working on the layout of everything... One thing outstanding is the Bates tractor... i need to get to that next maybe? Or, I may start on the boiler.

This power area will basically become its own mini scene i think..?
  • For the sake of photo organization on my end, i'm posting 2 updates.

The one below is of the machine shop.. i think i'm almost done with this structure. Over the last several days i've been googling line shafts in the evenings when i wait for the baby to go to sleep..

I should point out. There is a flywheel on the line shaft, i came across several instances where there was a flywheel inside the building on the main lineshaft. This looked like a good idea to me. So, mine has a flywheel...

IMG_7271
    IMG_7252
    IMG_7267
    IMG_7242
    IMG_7244
    IMG_7249
    IMG_7266

IMG_7269
    IMG_7270

• For the overall diorama, i'm thinking something like this maybe...?

IMG_7259
    IMG_7260
    IMG_7262
    IMG_7258
    IMG_7261
    IMG_7264

• I love the shots of the machines through the doors. Great work.
  • Highly detailed machinery and very realistically presented. Really takes diorama detailing to another level.
  • Looking good.....