visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed

Comments

• Thanks much Tom.
  • edited August 2023
    The following images illustrate a few of the techniques I used to weather, stress, and damage the siding to get the overall look I have planned for this project. Disclaimer states "not how to do it, but rather how I do it".

IMG_6793

IMG_6791

The one picture above illustrates six different techniques I used to weather, stress, and damage the wood. The knot holes are the classic "toothpick" type with a few twists. The two shown here are oblong rather than round. I begin by carving out and oblong recess larger than the knot with my #11 blade. I then carve the toothpick end so it is oblong and glue it into a hole in the center of the carved recess and cut flush on the backside. Several slits are made in the boards with a pointed awl and left as is. One is easily seen to the left of the framed opening. Butted board ends with subtile nail holes and some with the hole splitting the wood, which is often seen over time. Missing board ends at the bottom with framing showing through. A straight pin is poked multiple times into the wood around these areas to simulate insect damage. Variation in the board finish and color tones adds variety and visual interest. Random boards are warped at the bottom as illustrated in the images below.

IMG_6798

IMG_6797
  • If it wasn't for the fingers, one could never tell this was HO !!! Great work !!!!
  • Incredible job. Looks so damn real. The coloring looks perfect.
  • Hey thanks Robert. Always available scale tool!

Nice hearing from you Jim, thanks for your thoughts here. It had been a few builds since I did a natural wood exterior.
  • Detailing at it's finest!!

Jerry
  • More like detailing at its slowest! Thanks for the kind words Jerry.
  • edited August 2023
    I have mentioned previously that with every project I like to try something new and different. I only do this if it lends itself to the overall plan and goal of the build. I don't force something that does not fit to the project goals. Early on in this build I stated I wanted the interior to have the appearance of old seasoned and hardened oak that has that yellowish red coloration that I have seen in reference photos. Below is a picture of the end result.

IMG_6745

Reasonably happy with this result and was moving along with the build. In researching interiors, I came across a reference photo of the inside of a shop that was painted white and was greasy, dirty, and grungy. All the equipment, tools, and clutter showed up great against the white background. I knew I had to give this look a go. The L&TRS design has two distinct areas. I decided to have the one area with these white painted walls and the other with the original siding as shown above.

I got out my airbrush and went over the wall interiors with Tamiya white thinned about 50/50. I did not want a solid opaque finish. Below are the walls after the initial painting.

IMG_6824

I then did the initial weathering with pigments. Final weathering will done as the walls are further detailed. The following is the result after weathering:

IMG_6841

IMG_6833

This color will make a great background for all the great details to come.
  • Definitely like the subdued white with weathering….a head slap moment of why haven’t I thought of that …..but I’ll sure remember it
    Terry
  • Me too Terry. When I saw that reference photo it was one of those "got to do that" moments.
  • Like the idea of using the 2 different interior finishes. The close up of the wall after initial weathering is excellent! Dust and grime would have built up over time subduing the white, and you have done a masterful job of portraying that!
  • edited August 2023
    Thanks much Tom. I agree, the two finishes will serve as a subtile separation of the two areas and further the idea that they were built at different times. Look forward to the upcoming wall details to see how it looks with the white.
  • Oh man! You threw everything you had at these walls and they came out nasty!! Just the way we like’ ‘em!!!
  • Grungy Al, grungy...Ok nasty if you must! Nice hearing from you.
  • Ken, my first chance to comment in real time on your work here on the forum. Just outstanding as always. Thanks for taking the time to post these updates and explain your process. While I may not be able to replicate your techniques exactly, the most important thing you’re teaching is to slow down and think through every step and do it as best you can. Thanks.
  • Hey Travis, really nice hearing from you! You're exactly right, spend some time before you start and develop a plan along with goals of how you want things to develop. Take your time and try to keep your workflow in line with your goals.

Really appreciate your note here and it means a great deal, thanks to you as well.
  • edited August 2023
    Here is another view of a couple of the altered walls from the original color to the painted white for this section of the structure. Walls are just staged at this point.

I will be detailing the walls with those items that are attached and not sitting on the floor as much as I can while I can lay them flat and before glueing them together. I'll illustrate this as they progress.

IMG_6852
  • You're on FIRE! Love the walls! Can't wait to see more.
  • Just without words following along. Mouth hanging open. Keep it coming.....Rick
  • Havin a ball Brett! What got me cranking was the host of your new 3D details I will be able to incorporate into the diorama, particularly the blacksmithing details...making it hard to concentrate on much else!
  • Hey thanks so much Rick! Cracked me up...I looked just like that when I saw Brett's blacksmithing detail set. The white walls, well not so white now, are going to show off the details really well I think. Can't wait to start this step...off to the bench!
  • Really good. Reminds me of my old barn that was whitewashed on the interior with a chalked lime coating.
  • Just a fantastic start to this kit. The distressed wood is amazing.
  • Hey Jim, thanks so much for that info. Really nice to know I am on the right track with the interior finish.

Hi Joel. Appreciate that my friend. The recent detail parts are a game changer for this build.
  • Ken, when you run out of things to do, I have a layout that could use your fine skill. I am so slow, they may plant me with my RR at this rate. Your stuff is so perfect!! Excellent work sir.
  • edited August 2023
    Hey Emery, join the slow modeling club, and since I'm the president, I can assure you a spot! Thanks much for the nice note and good hearing from you.
  • Looking good so far!
    Two replaced boards after the paint was applied? Creating a story?
  • You've got that eye for subtile detail Karl! Like Bob Ross would say "a happy accident"
  • The walls turned out great.
  • Thanks Bryan