visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed

I have been on a well established quest to build each and every SierraWest Scale Models kit (HO/HOn3) in the order of their release. Next up on the bench, following on the heels of my Shelby's Marine Service build, is...the Logging and Tractor Repair Shed (L&TRS). This kit was released back in January 1999 and was extremely popular and promptly sold out...familiar scenario with Brett's kits!

A full page ad was featured in the January/February issue of Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette (photo 1). This beautiful, full color ad, featured the same images as found on the now famous SWSM green box (photo 2). Coming off the build of Shelby's, which is a relatively large kit, the L&TRS is a single structure kit and a much smaller project. When I say "smaller" that's what I mean, smaller in size, but larger than life in its design, character, and charm. Much time will be spent, as usual, in the research and planning phase including the religious perusal of the instruction manual and associated materials (photo 3). There is much in store with this build and a few surprises to work in along the way.

More later...Ken

IMG_6510

(photo1). Full page, full color, ad in the Jan/Feb issue of Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette.

IMG_6578

(photo 2) The famous SWSM "Green Box"

IMG_6570

(photo 3). Step 1...

Comments

• This too will be fun to follow!
  • Waiting for the magic to happen....
  • Another masterpiece is born.
    This will be fun, educational and interesting to follow.
  • Ok….I’ve got my BarkaLounger in recline position and the Orvil Redenbacher (sp) is popping….let the modeling begin
    Terry
  • I'm looking forward to watching this come to life. This looks like such a great kit.
  • edited July 2023
    Hope so Rick.

I don't know about that Art...I'll pull something out of my...lets say hat! Lol.

Hey Karl, appreciate the vote of confidence, I'll have to make an effort to deliver something at least close and the fun is the only one I can guarantee!

Nice to hear from you Terry, and nice to know you'll be checking things out.

Good to hear Jim. With the relatively small footprint of the single structure I plan to devote a good bit of time to the interior appointments. This comes with a huge call out to you and others of the design crew of these incredible SWSM 3D detail parts. Adds so much to these already classic kits!
  • Ken this will be a real pleasure to follow. I'm sure you will find something to make it your signature!!

Jerry
  • edited July 2023
    i pulled up a tree stump and a cooler of sam adams. i'm in for the long haul!
  • kebmo said:

i pulled up a tree stump and a cooler of sam adams. i'm in for the long haul!

Make room for me!

• Keep us posted Ken. This will be another beauty I am sure.
  • Nice to hear from you Jerry! I'll find something to put a bit of a twist on.

Glad to hear Kev, pop one for me too!

I don't know Brett...packing both you and Kevin's luggage onto one tree stump!...hmm..

Hey Emery, what's up my friend? Glad to have you checking in now and again.
  • Welcome back Ken! Really looking forward to you working your magic with this kit. It's a real beauty in and of itself. Can't imagine what you will do will do with it. I'll be following along.
  • Well thanks much Tom, really appreciate that. I plan to really concentrate on the interior, particularly the blacksmith shop area. This lends itself well to detailing as Brett's design for this area is nice and open. Hammering out some ideas...
  • Great Ken. As a newby to this forum, I was always too late to follow your incredible modeling.
    Now I will become an eyewitness.. . As Jerry said, it will be a pleasure to follow.
    Thanks for that.
  • Excited for this as well! You are one of my favorite modellers!
  • My seat and drinks are ready..
  • Fun times
  • Hey JenS, forget that...you're one of the regulars now! Appreciate your kind words here and hope I can provide some relative content along the way. So glad to have you along.

Well Mike that just made my day! What a nice thing to say, appreciate that my friend.

Sounds good Robert. Nice hearing from you.

That's what its all about Bryan...if we aren't having fun, what's the point. Appreciate your continued support over the years.
  • edited July 2023
    As with all my builds, I first pay particular attention to the wood. I believe this sets the tone for the entire project and is of utmost importance moving forward. I wanted the interior framing and the interior of the siding to be a somewhat reddish, aged, oak that has become hardened over the years. Hard to fully explain this look but I have seen this type of wood and it almost looks greasy in a way, if that makes any sense. The image below gives an idea of what I'm thinking and looking for (photo 1). I did not however, want the exterior of the wood to look like this as this would be exposed to the elements. I wanted a more weathered neutral grayish look for the outside.

I stained the framing wood and siding with a reddish brown AI stain. This was followed by scraping a small amount of black chalk (700.5) over the boards and then washed in with alcohol. The boards appeared all black and were then immediately placed between and drawn through paper towels to remove most of the black. This resulted in a good match to the look I was after (photo 2 and 3).

I now want to create a weathered grayish look just on the outside of the siding boards without changing the stain color on the inside. This was accomplished by carefully lining up the strip wood tightly together and scraping white chalk over the boards. I did not flood with alcohol on this step as it would have seeped and ran under the boards and altered (screwed up) the inside color previously achieved. To keep this from happening, I stippled the boards with a short stiff brush just barely damp with alcohol. This set the chalk without running under the boards and altering (screwing up) the other side
    (photo 4).

I now have siding boards with different finishes on each side ready to further detail and apply to the framing.

More later...Ken

Please Note: The technique for applying chalk to stain (color) stripwood is masterfully done by Brett. The video is found under the University tab and select "Videos" then select Weathering Scale Stripwood with Artists Chalk.

ee7511a69866a85f6ee5e862a9f5d875

(photo 1) Aged oak with the desired look.

IMG_6508

(photo 2) Framing lumber with stain and black chalk application.

IMG_6515

(photo 3) Siding lumber with stain and black chalk application.

IMG_6514

(photo 4) Somewhat neutral grayish finish on the other side (outside) of the siding lumber ready to detail and apply.
  • Nicely done. It's hard to get 2 colors on the same board without one color spilling over.
  • That technique worked great. Great job!
  • Nice and original colors.
  • Exactly Bryan! Having the outside siding painted is much easier, but when using stains and chalks with alcohol its a different matter all together.

Thanks Jim, I was happy with the results thus far.

I got close to my target colors/finish Robert, appreciate the support. Time well spent at this stage.
  • Love the outside/inside coloration difference. Great start!
  • Hey Brett, appreciate that. The nice open design of the L&TRS begs to have the interior given dutiful attention! I am now upgrading my requirement of having one LP in every diorama I build to having a Model T and a tractor in every one...shame on you for making those details so amazing!...Ahh...but which tractor...hmmm...the mystery is kept alive.
  • Jeez! Don’t sleep on this guy. A master class on the first day of school!
  • Appreciate you checking in Al and thanks. Got to get a jump on the structure build as I'm chopping at the bit to get at the interior blacksmithing shop detail work. I want to do more "this is what I did" kind of posts rather than just the finished product.
  • As usual Ken you just get right to the point and keep the ball rolling.

Wonderful coloring on both sides.

Jerry
  • I must guess that patience is the key here in getting the two different tones on the siding....I attempted it once....I used a light application of the stain with a slightly "dry" brush on the inside....then immediately did the outside with the outside stain so as to keep warping to a minimum...I do remember it took a long time...I need to try it again.....what I've been doing recently is tar papering the interior...also time consuming but I like the look.....I also like the look of your aged oak....
  • Nice affect on the wood. I have tried staining each side a different color. It was difficult to keep the stain from running onto the other side. You did a masterful job.