visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed

Comments

• edited September 2023
    I had promised an update this weekend with three walls of the structure glued together and mounted on the floor of the diorama base. Well...that didn't happen. I have, what I think, is a good reason. I decided to fiddle a bit more with the dio base prior to moving on with mounting the structure. I wasn't going to include "Deer Creek" at the back of the diorama that was featured in the kit manual. I subsequently changed my mind and am working on getting that cut in (see below). The creek/river will add some topography and visual interest which I felt the otherwise flatland scene could use. The following are the four walls of the wheelwright shop. I did not get the main wall detailing done, but enough that you can get an idea of where I'm going with it:

IMG_7045

I decided to continue with the horizontal interior siding to give a nice backdrop for all the details to follow. Making good use of Brett's sink and water cooler 3D detail parts. There will be a cabinet under the water cooler and many more details.

IMG_7060

Shot of the wonderful sink and water cooler details...life's simple pleasures!

IMG_7040

Opposite wall to the previous one. This large opening goes to the blacksmithing section. Scratch built another work bench. Many more details to go here.

IMG_7053

A somewhat different bench construction to add some interest.

IMG_7042

I went with some additional leg supports I saw in a reference photo and added a "metal" bench covering. will add dents and such when detailing this nifty little mini-scene.

IMG_7043

Final wall of the wheel shop. Not a lot of room for details but squeezed in a few!

The following pictures are the start of the creek/river in the back of the diorama:

IMG_7056

The roughed in river bottom with the floor plan template for scale of the structure.

IMG_7057

I used what's called "Concrete Sand" for most of the river bed aggregate. Concrete Sand is a great material for this type of modeling. Regular sand has clear sharp crystalline inclusion pieces which aren't natural looking and the aggregate is too uniform and fine. Concrete sand has a nice varied aggregate size and more round and worn appearing pieces (see below)

IMG_7061

HO dude for scale...more later...Ken
  • Ken, fantastic as always. Progress is progress no matter how long it takes! Going to buy some concrete sand…brb.
  • Lots going on here. Great stuff as always.
  • Wonderful detailing as usual. And the paint job is pretty impressive to boot!!!!

Jerry
  • Thanks Travis! Its good stuff for this kind of thing.

Appreciate that Al.

Thanks much Jerry.
  • edited September 2023
    Nice progress....liking that creek bed
  • Agree Ken on the aggregate. I am super lucky that I have a creek within 100 yrds of my place. I go "mining" every so often for 5 gallon buckets of it. Sift through multiple shakers and have pails of various sizes to choose from.
  • Moving along Art. Today I added the river bank contouring and will then add dirt and proceed with gluing the floor boards and walls of the wheel shop down.

Can't have enough free scenic materials Emery. Not sure I need a 5 gallon bucket full of the stuff!lol.
  • edited September 2023
    Ken,
    Great update. Well worth the wait. Look forward to seeing the walls detailed. Like what you've done so far. Thanks for sharing.

You can never have enough scenery material. I have a 5 gal. bucket of fine sand and a 5 gal. bucket of fine dirt. Nice to have on hand.
  • You doing epoxy water?.....tinted?
  • I think I wonna cry...
    Its a masterpiece even now;)
  • edited September 2023
    Thanks Tom. Natural materials are great and nothing looks more like the real thing than the real thing!

Art, yes I’ll be using the same “water” products that I used on Shelby’s, and I’ll tint this pour in similar fashion.

We’ll really appreciate that JenS and nice hearing from you!
  • Excellent work on the walls per usual.
  • Hey thanks so much Bryan!
  • Superbly finished to your usual standards. Can't wait to see the structure come together!
  • Appreciate that Brett…coming along!
  • I'd say it's incredible but with you there is no incredible. You simply set the bar. Amazing.
  • Too kind my friend! Thanks so much and always nice hearing from you. Trust all is well and look forward to knocking elbows with you again...2024 NGC ?? hmmm...
  • KKarns said:

Trust all is well and look forward to knocking elbows with you again...2024 NGC ?? hmmm...

Now that would be a great idea!!!!

Jerry

• I agree Jerry. Finally scheduled one reasonably close to my neck of the woods.
  • Terrific as always Ken, I'm still following closely.
  • Thanks so much Karl, appreciate that.
  • I'm part of the staff for the 2024 NNG.....hope you all come to it...
  • Ken, just awesome. You are the HO man !!!!!
  • Lol…thanks so much Robert!
  • Ken, as with every thing you build this is another fantastic model. Randy
  • Hey thanks so much Randy and nice hearing from you!
  • Working on the diorama base and have the floors for the structure roughed in. The wheelwright shop side has the floor boards running north and south. The blacksmithing side has both hard packed dirt and rough planking. The structure will sit on top of what is shown here. Still working on the interior wall detail before assembling the walls and planting on the base. More later...Ken

IMG_7258
  • Looking good.....
  • That floor has more character than some of my walls! Looks great as always Ken.