visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed

Comments

• the white paint is a brilliant idea! those walls look so good.....
  • edited August 2023
    Thanks Kevin. I think a big part of it is that they show up so well. The white is also so easy to weather to look dirty, greasy, and grungy and all your work doing that is easily seen. Really look forward to seeing how interior lighting will will highlight all the details.
  • Beautiful coloring on the interior walls. Can't wait to see the details being added.

Jerry
  • Thanks much Jerry, working on that now.
  • LOVE those walls, great job Ken !!!
  • Appreciate that Robert.
  • edited August 2023
    Small update to the L&TRS build now dubbed the B&WRS. Clarification to follow. I received my recent order of Brett's fabulous Blacksmithing 3D parts set, I purchased two sets, and four of the air compressor kits. Amazing detail and design. As a result, the interior detailing of the project will be a major portion of the work from here on out. With the majority of the interior detail parts now in hand, the arrangement of the details and the work flow can now be realized. Construction of the major components are being worked out before the walls are glued together to allow ease of assembly with the walls laid flat on the bench. Any details attached to the walls can be done at this time to great advantage.

The following images are of one wall at the rear of one section of the structure. The scale 6x6 framing, horizontal interior siding, workbench, and shelf were all added to the existing wall interior. This adds a great deal of visual interest and contributes to the designed workflow of the shop. All the smaller details can now be added per the overall plan.

IMG_6893

IMG_6895 (1)

It was decided to highlight Brett's beautiful wagon wheel 3D prints in this project (see below), which brings us back to the name change...the structure is now the B&WRS or The Blacksmith & Wheel Repair Shop. The section with the "white" walls will be the wheel shop and the section with the aged oak will be the blacksmithing shop, which compliment each other perfectly.

IMG_6898

Brett's masterfully designed and printed wagon wheels. Note the different sizes and purposely designed damaged/in repair wheels. This is not inclusive of all the wheel designs with some even lacking the rims...awesome details!

More later...Ken
  • This is going to be way outside the box!! Great name for the structure looking forward to more of this detail work.
    So far it looks to be perfection with the wall detail.

Jerry
  • good plan!
    i'd like to see brett make the different bellows available as a detail for all of that have already done the blacksmith part of the kit/
  • Love that wall! Really great idea o add the horizontal interior wall boards. Adds a nice backdrop to the workbench/shelf area.
  • Ken, up to your usual extremely high standards. Excited to see where you take this one. Love the direction and interested ti see how you paint and weather the blacksmith equipment. That set is on my list. Might need to get a second job after reviewing what is on that list….
  • You never cease to amaze me Ken. Your woodworking is always top notch.
  • Mighty convincing there!
  • edited August 2023
    Right Jerry, definitely not an "out-of-the-box" build, but most of mine don't end up that way! Brett's 3D parts were the deciding factor in the route I decided to take with this project.

I think it will work out well Kevin, thanks.

Appreciate that Tom and that is exactly my plan, the horizontal boards will give a good backdrop to all the details to be added.

Thanks Travis, and I'm really looking forward to detailing that set as well! Blacksmith shops are a grungy modelers dream! Right on Travis, we're like kids in a candy store with these 3D details!

Hey Emery, I love the wood working part of the builds and of course for good reason as it forms the foundation for everything else to follow. Thanks so much for your thoughts and pointing that out.

What can I say Brett...it's all your fault! It's truly amazing how a batch of your incredible 3D detail parts can drive the entire project in a different direction and bring everything together! In addition, this serves to illustrate the flexibility of the original structure design and engineering of this kit and all SWSM kits for that matter. Thanks for all your efforts and keeping the animals fed!

• edited August 2023
    I got a similar thought using the Tractor repair.....but my thought is an add on structure that would contain the Blacksmiths shop.....and have the tractor repair area will turn into more of a heavy mechanics area......I just need to order the 3D stuff....can always count on you for good ideas and inspiration...
  • That wall interior is incredible. Glad you show it in your hand, it's so easy to forget how small these HO structures are.
  • Nice idea Art. You'll love the Blacksmith 3D details, they are incredible. Appreciate your support!

Well thanks Jim, nice hearing from you. The one scale tool I can't lose!
  • Good progress.
  • Just started detailing the detail parts for the project here. Started with Brett's incredible wall mounted drill press. Perfect example of the exquisite detail of the 3D product line...so enjoyable to work with.

IMG_6939

Detailed drill press ready to be placed on the wall.
  • Looking good Ken.
    It's amazing what Brett can do with this new technology.
  • Perfect. Looks like the real thing.

Jerry
  • For sure Karl, Brett's details are just incredible!

1:87 details are small that's for sure Travis, more incredible the detail being this small!

Thanks so much Jerry!
  • Fantastic finish on that drill press. Distressed and well used. love it.
  • Thanks Joel and nice hearing from you. Have the drill press placed on the wall and adding other details. lots to do!
  • I have no words Ken. That is a masterpiece all on its own sir!!
  • Hey thanks Emery! I try and treat each of the 3D details as an individual model project. As I mentioned to Joel, I just placed it on the wall and it just sets it off beautifully. These 3D parts are changing the game and such a good time to be modeling with SierraWest Scale Models leading the way!
  • edited September 2023
    Quick update on an enjoyable, yet time consuming, project. I have finished the interior detailing on one wall of the pseudo L&TRS. This is the rear wall of the wheel wright shop. Detailing the wall prior to glueing the walls together allows full access and the ability to lay the wall flat. I will tackle the remaining walls in similar fashion.

IMG_6985

Rear wall of wheelwright shop ready to go. More later...Ken
  • Oops...forgot the scale bar...

IMG_6973
  • edited September 2023
    IMG_6985 (1)

Little better close up. Wall sitting on SWSM Blacksmith Shop 3D printed set!
  • Fantastic Ken!