visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed

Comments

• Nice detail. A similar effect can be done where 2 boards join on the wall. It's a little more visible and not hidden by scenery or details.
  • Grungy is as grungy does! Appreciate that Robert.
  • Great texture and color.
  • Thanks Bryan. So far so good, will have a better feel once the walls are together.
  • Looks fantastic. We used to have a barn that was built in 1865. Most of the 1 x 12 vertical siding was curled inward a bit at the bottom. What you're doing looks great.
  • Hey thanks Jim, appreciate that my friend! Never thought to try an warp the board going inwards...hmm. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • i just had another 'wish i'd thought of that' moment.....
  • Ken, I don't want to steer you wrong with my comment because I think it was a bit confusing. When I say "curled inward" I mean from my perspective. Actually, curled away from the building and towards the viewer. I hope that clears things up. Was hoping to find a picture of my old barn to show what I mean but no luck so far. That barn was sided with 1 x 12 rough cut hemlock boards and nailed on green. They shrunk over time and created gaps between all the boards. This was great for allowing air into the barn and helped dry the green hay.
  • Ahh...thanks for the clarification Jim. Right, a warp towards the inside of the building would still be a nifty detail and am sure happens on occasion particularly if there is a long distance between the framing that the board is nailed to.
  • Ahh...thanks for the clarification Jim. Right, a warp towards the inside of the building would still be a nifty detail and am sure happens on occasion particularly if there is a long distance between the framing that the board is nailed to.
  • Perhaps what is being referred to is a cupped board. ) Where the curl is toward the inside.
  • I always enjoy your builds and this one should be fantastic too.
  • Hi Joel, nice hearing from you my friend! Certainly appreciate that and keep in touch.
  • edited August 2023
    Finished up the walls of the L&TRS with the initial stages of weathering both inside and out. At first blush, one might think this structure appears rather straightforward in design...well, one would be wrong! The seven walls that make up the L&TRS are full of character and once assembled offer wonderful detailing opportunities. That's what I enjoy and look forward to when building up a SWSM kit...inherent opportunities for detailing to tell a story, and it all starts with the wood.

Worn weathered bare wood siding on the exterior, aged grimy and grungy interior. It has taken me several weeks to complete these walls. Each individual board is picked out and detailed, one-at-a-time, to fit the specific weathering pattern I'm looking for. This is particularly important in the corners, which I will expand on in the next post.

The following is a group photo of the walls inside and out with the detailing so far:

IMG_6736

Aged and weathered bare wood siding.

IMG_6790

Interior detailing of the siding to give an aged hardened oak appearance. Of note is the use of standard framing with fire breaks for my interpretation.

What follows are shots of the individual walls in no particular order:

IMG_6801

Open west side of the tractor repair section. I beefed up the entrance framing by utilizing 6x6 posts with an off-set and exposed angled supports.

IMG_6766

North (back) side of the tractor repair section.

IMG_6765

North end wall of the logging section.

IMG_6803

Bringing in the east wall of the logging section. This wall was featured earlier.

IMG_6799

South (front) wall of the logging section. This wall also featured earlier.

IMG_6802

Center wall section separating the tractor repair and logging sections. Wall number seven consists of 6x6 posts, beam, and angled supports (see wall map above).

More later...Ken
  • Your effort to pick out and detail individual boards tells the tale. If you’re at all like me it’s a constant struggle to keep a dedicated pace and not let myself rush thru a step just to “make good time”….when I let that happen I’m always sorry with the result
    Terry
  • Right Terry, time well spent at this stage!
  • Bookmarking this one Ken. Excellent work that I hope to replicate on my build soon.
  • Great work on the siding, beautifully done.
  • Thanks much Emery, glad to have these exterior walls about wrapped up. Much detailing on the inside walls yet to go.

Hey Karl, appreciate your thoughts here. Planning where all Brett’s details are going to go!
  • Wonderful work as usual. Amazing detail.

Jerry
  • Nice hearing from you Jerry. Appreciate the support.
  • Awesome work Ken. All those little secret details like the splintered boards on the sides or the decayed wood at the bottoms. The weeks of work really paid off.
  • Appreciate that JenS. The overall impression of the weathered and rotted framing is overstated by the close up imaging. Being 1:87 scale, the appearance "in person" is much subdued and more inline with what one would expect. It does serve to illustrate the techniques I used which I will expand on a bit in the next post.
  • Got room for a blacksmith setup?
  • Great work! Nice and grungy!
  • Planning the placement as we speak Al! Going to be a blast outfitting the blacksmithing section of my build.

Thanks Tom...grungy for always and forever!
  • The following are some of my thoughts when it comes to wall detailing that may or may not be of any use. Disclaimer states "not how to do it...just how I do it".

I spend a good bit of time planning the weathering on my walls and in particular the corners. The corners tend to get more damage and rot and afford great opportunities for detailing and added interest to the structure. Of some importance is keeping in mind where the two walls will come together to form the corner, and how your weathering should blend seamlessly between the two.

Illustrated below are two wall sections that when glued together form a corner of the structure. I like to have frame work showing through areas where there is missing siding from damage and/or rot. This lends some scale and also serves to provide visual interest.

IMG_6783

Note how the bottom of each wall has some missing and damaged siding with some framing peeking through. I specifically detailed these areas to match up when the two walls are glued together.

IMG_6749

Here are the same two wall sections held together to show how both corners, and their associated detailing, compliment each other and it appears contiguous.

IMG_6771

Here are two additional walls with similar detailing in the bottom corner. These two walls serve to really show how the match is realized by a little planning ahead.

Note: The base framing of the walls was done by glueing two scale 2x4s together rather than use a 4x4 so the seam of the two are visible which would have been how the bottom sill was originally made...

IMG_6812

The two walls mated together showing the contiguous rot/damage detail across both walls.
  • Thanks Ken for not only posting photos of your build but also explaining your process
    Terry
  • You bet Terry...more coming later.
  • Very nice!