visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO/HOn3 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed

Comments

• Hey thanks Jerry. So far not too far off what I was looking for.

Right on Art! Can be done several ways but just as you mentioned, takes a bit of fiddling around to bring it in. I really like the tar paper interior but did quite a bit of that on my last build (Shelby's), so wanted to change things up a bit...

Thanks Tom. Yup, there in lies the main problem with treating each side differently. I appreciate your thoughts my friend.
  • I always like to get one test wall done from start to finish before proceeding with all the others just to make sure the process is sound and results are acceptable.

Here's a quick shot of the test wall:

IMG_6600

Front wall of the L7TRS

IMG_6599

Inside of same wall.

More later...Ken
  • Wonderful work Ken, nice result.
  • Thanks much Karl, not much of an update but gets things on track for the remainder of the walls.
  • I was made aware that Karl did an outstanding tutorial on exactly what I was working on and describing above…albeit so much more eloquently presented than my somewhat lame attempt! The work can be found here:

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1289/301-logging-and-tractor-repair-shed-o-scale-karl-a/p1
  • The test wall could be used for the real one. It is that good !!
  • Yes Robert, but figure out how wonderful the actual wall will look like...
  • Thanks for that that Robert, reasonably happy with the results.

Nice hearing from you JenS! Appreciate ya...
  • i'm glad i got a front row seat....
  • Yeah and you could hear a pin drop in the modeling auditorium!...sorry for the lack of posts of late, you know my MO...slow. I have the front and one side wall done. I mulled over the windows and interior framing for some time and have a working plan now. Things should speed up a good bit. Thanks for rattling my cage Kev.
  • Tension is mounting.....
  • Looking forward! To your plans coming to life!!

Jerry
  • Ken....rest assured I'm much slower that you.....
  • Not meant to string things along JenS! Thanks for the support which means a great deal.

Glad to hear Jerry. When I'm doing a build like this, if things aren't falling into place at the beginning, I'll work real slow, slower than normal if you can believe that! This keeps me from getting too far ahead until I have a clear vision of the project. Once the overall plan is validated I can move on rather briskly, that's why I like to do one wall start to finish so any changes can be easily dealt with. So I'm just now getting into that "brisk" mode!

Hey Art, not a contest either one of us should aspire to win! lol...In all fairness though, slow is not really a bad thing when it comes to modeling.
  • Here's a quick shot of the second wall that is going to set the tone for the rest of the structure. Not quite done with detailing of course.

IMG_6673

Slight adjustments on the windows and added a door for a specific detail planned for the outside.
  • Now we're talking! Nice as always! Looks like the planning paid off!!

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry, it’s evidence of progress if nothing else!
  • Ken, you always have the nicest wood color variations. Natural looking.
  • edited July 2023
    Hey thanks Emery. My last couple builds were mostly peeling and weathered paint. This allows a host of nice detailing opportunities. It is nice to get back to some bare wood work and this build lends itself well to that.
  • Ken, the variation in coloring and detailing on the boards is really great! But then that is your specialty! Nice work!
  • Worth the wait, right fellas?
  • Thanks much Tom. Actually more variation than I had planned and this can be toned down later once I see how it looks when all the walls are done.

Appreciate that Al...gettin there.
  • edited July 2023
    One detail that may be of some interest...

I wanted to have the bottom of random boards sticking out like they are warped which is often seen on old structures. I cut tiny pieces of strip wood and glued them to the bottom sill then placed the board and weighted it down. The little chunk of wood under the bottom edge of the board held it out from the sill...see photo below.

IMG_6685

Bottom of random boards "warped" by this technique. Like most details, a little goes a long way!
  • Great idea Ken…. Really does add to the wall…a real life condition …

Terry
  • Really awesome Ken. While everybody tries to keep the boards flush to another, you go the other way... thats natural.
  • Nice detail Ken! I'll have to keep that one in mind!

Jerry
  • Hey thanks Terry! I think so...adds some interest and helps tell the story.

Appreciate that JenS, and I'm definitely one to "go the other way" that's for sure...just ask Cathy!

Thanks Jerry. Easy to do and adds that little zip to the wall.
  • Wonderful and grungy. Just what we expect!
  • edited July 2023
    Thanks Brett...
  • Old and dirty colors, just as we would expect from Dr. Grunge !! Very nice.