visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• Looking good, Ken!
  • Ken, I knew you would work some magic and indeed you did! The damaged area above the rotted wood was a great touch and weaves a consistent story for this historic building. Well done.
  • Ed, speak for yourself!
  • Fantastic work Ken, beautifully executed as always.
    The shadowing and shading you have added works perfectly, both on the walls and the roof. Such added depth brought out on that roof, easily over done, and, usually not done at all, you got it just right.

(ignoring your dilapidated corner) You have given character, depth and interest to a perfectly intact roof, without the need of patches, multiple materials or even some guy with a hammer, very nicely done.

You have the balance between functional and secure with just the right amount of age and wear for interest from the viewer.

Karl.A
  • Tired of seeing those wonderful photos ???? you must be joking. This is a very well succeeded roof !!! Not everything must fall apart and be totally dilapidated.. no ? With these kits, every modeler can go his own way, add his personal feel to it. That's why they are so SUPER !!
  • Roof matches walls perfectly
  • Outstanding work Ken. Love the personal touches and personality you have added to make it your own.
  • I'm with Robert...luv the photos...every photo adds to the story

Terry
  • Well Brett, this kit is panning out just as I/we all expected...simply amazing. This first structure went together flawlessly and the three freight door styles are just delicious!...best way I can describe them. Thank you for providing such a phenomenal product and appreciate everything you do.

Karl, as I have said before, you're one of those legendary modelers that as I work through a build you are always there. I find myself frequently thinking "I can't wait for Karl to see this and what his thoughts will be" Your critique is always spot on and I feel my modeling is improved with every comment and suggestion. Thanks much for your support and guidance...appreciate you my friend...

Kevin, thanks man, another one of those one word compliments I'll take every time.

Thanks Terry for building on Kevin's thoughts! Glad the amount of photos is not getting any yawns...at least not yet!

Appreciate that Brian...

Ed is that saying you like it without saying you like it?...:)

BillR, was thinking of you and our previous conversation while working on the roof. Thanks again for pointing out such an appropriate discussion topic. Thanks for such kind words and really glad you're following along.

Thanks Robert, I'm trying to go along methodically on this build and not rush through documentation of the various aspects that build on each other. Pointing out and attempting to match the roof with the structure as an example. I figured taking pictures of the walls together AND the roof installed one may take away from the other as far as build progression is concerned. Appreciate your encouragement as I work through this project.

Bryan, that's what I like to hear as going into it you're not sure it will pan out the way you invision! Thanks.

• You my friend are truly a mad genius! The walls are exceptional. First the weathering of the word blacksmith on the front is perfect. Just the right amount of fade. The walls are faded with just the right amount of color and "grunge". The technique that Brett thought up for scuffing the doors is fantastic. It really says a lot about his modeling. Every kit I have built keeps adding more and more to my arsenal of techniques for model building. Even with other kits I have found I incorporate the techniques I have learned from his manuals and the builds by yourself and everyone else here. This always improves the non sierra west kits I am building and really brings them up to the level you obtain whether it is the first Sierrawest kit or your tenth. Again it really says a lot about his ability to teach and develop new techniques and the abilities of the modelers here on the forum.

The garage door partially open is totally cool. The roof is also excellent and I do like the corner rot. Perfect. I don't post something in a week and you have the first building exceptionally done. Amazing!

Thank you for the really nice comment after my last post! We are all here to cheer you on!

Cheers!

Jim
    (BTW I am not Australian or from Great Britain but always like the way the use the word cheers!)
  • Ken said "I for one enjoy an occasional scale perspective... "

Me too, it reminds me that this is HO, which makes it even more impressive to enjoy.
  • Jim, "Mad genius" nicest thing anyone has ever said!...Kidding aside, thanks much for the kind words and you are so right regarding Brett both as a modeler and a manufacturer.

I'm in...Cheers!

Ken

I was hoping those images thrown in occasionally were useful and nice to see. Thanks Karl.
  • Workmanship is right there. The coloring on the roof is so perfect that black chalk sure did pop the detail.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry, I was pleased with the results of the chalking...
  • edited July 2018
    Have begun work on the Repair Shop walls. This is the finished right wall to illustrate where I'm going with the Repair Shop. 90 percent of this wall is covered by a large J.E. Morton's Foundry sign. Only the edges are visible once the sign is glued to the wall. The walls also sit atop a wood foundation which is a wonderful look and a great design by Brett. Note the toned down weathering at the bottom of the walls as compared to the Pattern Shop and the overall good condition of the siding boards. The color is damp brushed on as before with a nice aged off white achieved by mixing Pale Buckskin and SW Bone at about 70/30.

P7160012A

P7160012

P7160020

Shot of the siding installed over the laser cut framing...you can see just how realistic the laser is in providing a studded wall for interior detailing if desired. The next post will be of all four finished walls...Ken
  • Looking great Ken. I like how you pay attention to the bottom weathering outside AND inside. You stay consequent . Makes no sense to have boards who have seriously suffered from sun, rain , drought, rot, and clean, as new on the inside. It's all in the detail with these kits... ( you noticed I used weathering, not patination... :blush: )
  • Nicely done, Ken. You are executing finishes that show age but still indicate that the Repair Shop addition may be at least a decade or more recent than the Pattern shop.
    This is a fantastic group of buildings... a great kit. It's becoming apparent why it was a sellout in two days. Brett will be busy producing the second run for some time into the future!
  • Ken,

I really enjoy watching your builds as they progress. I learn something from each of your posts showing progress and especially look forward to your detailed explanations of the steps followed illustrating how, where and why as the building moves through each phase. The comments from other journeymen builders add to the overall pleasure of coming back to the forum discussions throughout the day. I believe that Robert has made a very important observation/point about the weathering at the bottom of the interior walls. These are the sort of details that establish builds on this forum as being among the best out there. As always, I am looking forward to each of your posts, Ken.

Later, Dave S. (Enjoying the respite afforded by our Sonoran Desert monsoons!)
  • The weathering on the siding is fantastic, excellent work!
  • Nice weathering not overdone.

Jerry
  • Brett, thank ya sir...the enthusiasm for this kit is building with every board I glue down, and I think those following have the same feeling.

Thanks George for your perceptive critique...Brett thinks things through and to provide laser cut wall studding for those that may want to detail the interior is just plain excellent customer service. He didn't have to he wanted to. Love the choice and as I get the Repair shop walls done and the foundation going I'll decide if I'm going for a bit of interior work...hmmm...much more interior wall detailing to come if I decide to detail the interior. certainly don't give up the "P" word!

Right Bill, I also am stoked on how these three structures in the east complex (my designation!) are shaping up....then of course you have the Stone Foundry and the west complex of three structures all seamlessly integrated into one killer diorama...Oops, getting carried away here...

Thanks ED.

Well Dave, thank you very much and so nice to hear that going along methodically with updates that appear trite are actually useful and meaningful. as an example, rather than wait until all the walls are done and post an update, I decided to post one completed wall to allow followers to see where I was going with things. Such an enjoyable project with you guys out there offering up such purposeful discussion...thanks.

Back to the bench...Ken
  • Completely agree with you Dave,

Seeing a master at work is wonderous to watch, but then to see the step-by-step they used is inspiring to us all.

As yourself and Robert note, those extra steps make the difference.

Karl.A
  • Finished up the Repair Shop walls featured here. Next I will be installing the doors, window and the Foundry sign on the right wall and building the foundation for the shop...

P7200015

Front wall of the Repair Shop...

P7200009

Rear wall...

P7200017

Left wall, unsided portion covered by the Tempering Shed...

P7200016

Right wall featured previously...this is the wall where the large Foundry sign goes...

More later...
  • I think the rotting wood at the base of fences and buildings with vertical boards, is all too usually missing on models except your of course. It looks totally realistic, appreciate your work. My kit should be here early next week but I shall have to content myself with reading your posts and the manual until I return from overseas. Trust assured whichever continent I am on I shall read your latest update at soon as I see it posted it gives me so much inspiration. I feel sure your build, together with the detailed SW manuals, give new Sierra West hobbists the momentum to make a start on their kits.
  • Thanks Michael for the very nice note and appreciate your thoughts. The board end detail you mention is a subtile but important detail in my mind as well. Thanks again and be safe in your travels...Ken
  • ken,
    just curious about your wood detailing technique. do you use something other than (in addition to) the wire brushes to get your graining?
  • Thanks for your inquiry Kevin. Wire brushing is just my first step in detailing my boards. They all get an initial wire brushing for the basic grain, then I follow with detailing the board ends mostly with my #11 blade and a pointed awl. Various imperfections such as gouges, cracks, pieces of wood missing, knot holes, etc. are done both to the board ends and strategic places along the length of the board and where two boards butt together. Check my Dr. Grunge Wood Clinic thread for more details...

Here is a good close up of one of my walls of my HO/HOn3 O'Neills Fabrication official forum build I did two years ago...it illustrates all the details I mentioned and only the base graining was done with a wire brush!

P6260039
  • i've been through the dr. grunge tutorial several times, and use all the same techniques, but yours show up so much better than mine.....
    it could be the lighting at my bench. it kinda sucks. my wood treatments look so much better in person than in the pics...
  • Another great tutorial I refer to often is Kevin O’Neill’s work on painting castings and details
    Terry
  • Very likely the lighting if its looking good to your eye Kevin.