visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• edited July 2018
    I sanded down the large paper Foundry sign to almost "see through" thin and mounted on the stripwood sign base, weathered and attached to the right wall of the Repair Shop. Added four bolt head castings and done. Note a couple of the "cracks" between the boards don't look quite perfectly straight upon magnification. I went back and fixed that but either way wasn't noticeable on the model...

P7210016

P7210028

The foundation and floor for the Repair Shop and Repair Shop front porch is done. The cracks between the boards was filled with dirt colord chalk and the front edges of the porch boards were slightly rounded from wear. Hard to make this look interesting without the Repair Shop sitting on it!

P7210031

P7210010

The manual calls for a mitered joint on the corner of the foundation timbers and a butt joint where it meets the Shop foundation. I decided to have the timber ends visible with end detail as I like the look...

More later...Ken
  • You are on a roll. Sign looks good. How many did you tear until you got this one?
  • As usual, just right ! The bolt head castings make it more real than printed ones. I also like your decision of showing the ends of the foundation timbers. I believe construction in this way is more used than in a mitered way. Ether way, it are those details that keep the whole build interesting to look at and to discover when finished.
    Thanks Ken for posting all these beauties...
  • Lights out on that sign man,,just Wow,
  • As I went back and reread the "Build" I finally recognized the assumption that affects many of my own viewpoints. I tend to see the model from the viewpoint of my railroad in 1916. In some cases that affects the use of certain details. Someone else may be seeing the appropriate amount of aging from the eyes of the 1950's. Certainly barn wood would vary considerably over those decades so the question of what's appropriate is still dependent on knowing the "when" during the building. On the other hand I've also begun to notice that a number of hobbyists just build the most interesting building possible for the sheer pleasure of the build. Talk about an eye-opener.... Ken told us what he was going to build but I've been asleep at the wheel. Another confirmation that SierraWest builds kits that can make everyone happy.
  • Thanks Bryan, got it sanded down and glued down on the first try!

You bet Robert and appreciate that. I enjoy the subtile personal modeling choices that make a build personal and unique. I never change anything for the sake of change, but rather for my style of modeling and what I like based on my overall plan formulated early on.

Thanks Alan, I was happy with how the sign turned out and as I mentioned to Bryan, got it the first time. Brett includes several copies and two choices of sign layout so those building this kit can jump in and get it done without worrying about messing one up.

Good point Bill, and to further clarify I'm modeling The Foundry around circa 1921 or so with the Blacksmith Shop originally from the late 1800s. This also is the same vintage as my O'Neills Fabrication diorama that provides the used oil for the Foundry and...well you know the back story...
  • Finished putting up the walls and the roof of the Repair Shop. I'll be getting some pictures this evening. Prior to putting the walls together, I lighted the end of the floor that wopuld be under the covered porch outside the building. I used some fine steel wool to lighten it a bit then hand rubbed in real dirt to get a worn ground in dirt look.

IMG_3634

Note the end of the floor planking has been lightened, this section will be outside the building under a covered roof.

Brett stresses the need for the rear and left walls to be perfectly plumb and at the exact edge of the foundation as the rear wall butts up against the Pattern Shop and the Tempering Shed butts up aginst the left wall of the Repair Shop.

IMG_3639

Here I'm making use of various steel stock to brace the rear wall perfectly alligned with the foundation and plumb vertically. Plumb walls and tight corners is a must...
  • Repair Shed with walls and roof installed.

P7290009

The covered porch and associated details yet to be installed...

P7290039

Love the look of this wall sitting on the timber foundation...well designed Brett!

P7290043

P7290033

Some scale perspective. Rear and left wall. Unsided rear wall butts up aginst the finished Pattern Shop and the unsided left wall has the Tempering Shed butted up aginst it.

P7290035

Full frontal...on to the Tempering Shed...Ken
  • That's Fantastic! Your walls are so square that the use of machinist's plates are obvious. I assume that you've collected quite an assortment of weights, magnets, and machined edges over the years.
  • edited July 2018
    Love the high contrast in those walls, also the specific, and well thought out/planned, 'more weathered here than there' factor, and still it all blends together beautifully and naturally.
    Superb!

Karl.A
  • As always amazing work. Love following this thread.
  • Looks great.
    What material are the shingles supposed to represent? They look more uniform than your usual roofs.
  • Wow. Fantastic. All that great texture and color -- hard to imagine it's HO scale. The big hand helps :smiley:
  • Just amazing, and this is only the beginning.....
  • Thanks Bill and yes, I have a large assortment of metal stock for just this sort of thing.

Appreciate your thoughts Karl as always...

Hey Joel, nice hearing from you and thanks much.

Thanks Bryan and your attention to detail is obvious! Brett researched and developed these prototypical classic 3-tab asphalt shingles, correct for early 1930s, just for this kit! They are so easy to install, weather effortlessly, and look fantastic. This is such a refreshing development from the standard shake shingle roofs we have all been modeling for years. This is just another example, which there are many with this kit, of Brett's innovative design and manufacturing philosophy that elevates SierraWest as a patriarch of the modeling community.

Thanks Terry and sorry about including the "lunch hooks" in the images, I should have my wife do the honors!

Right Robert, just getting started and appreciate your thoughts.
  • Finished up and assembled the walls of the Tempering Shed. The Tempering shed is tar paper and batten and is such a cool little build. The tar paper is applied to the chipboard templates and I put in some horizontal base siding in strategic location as before by cutting out portions of the chipboard template and replacing with detailed stripwood. The hinged solid wood door is a killer little feature. Brett has provided so many innovative door designs in this kit. The roof and the corrugated metal Workbench Awning are yet to be installed.

IMG_3678

P7300020

Note the added horizontal wood base siding and missing tar paper in strategic locations.

IMG_3676

Although the rear of the Tempering Shed butts up aginst the Repair Shop a portion where I added the wood siding and missing tar paper is visible...

IMG_3679

What is with me and needing to get my hand in the image!!! I need my wife Cathy to stand in here...her hands are much more acceptable than mine!
  • Ken

Great little structure indeed! Like you, I am admiring the latest assortment of doors that Brett designed for these neat structures. Of course no structure would be complete without the signature "KKarns" treatment. In this case, the horizontal boards "peeking" out at strategic locations from underneath the tar paper. Nice work as always. I might be tempted to add a 2" x 4" interior frame to the structure so that a few 2" x 4"s could be peeking out from underneath some of the horizontal wall boards. But that will only be if I get a chance to build this structure in O-Scale some day (sigh!).

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited July 2018
    Terrific treatment and effects on that tar paper, so much interest created to something
    that could be so 'plain'.
    The 'up and over' door looks perfect, such a great design by Brett that fits perfectly
    where it is located.
    Your weathering of everything is superb as always.

Karl.A

(hi to Miss Cathy)
  • Love it! So well executed...
  • Ken, besides the perfect look of your tarpaper, isn't it a very big / large single piece of it ( last photo) ? Or am I not looking good. Don't they come on a roll of about 40 inch ? Otherwise, again great stuff.
  • edited July 2018
    Robert, last photo is the rear of the shed which most is butted up against the repair shop and not visible. Just the vertical area that I added the siding under the missing tar paper can be seen. Thanks for your thoughts and kind words. This is a great little structure Brett designed.
  • Should have known that..... I don't have the kit and haven't really studied the finished build , so.....
    Anyways, even being not a owner of this fabulous kit, I 'll be right on your tail... :wink:
  • Right Robert, not something you would immediately notice. It will look really good once the three structures are together...thanks again.

Thanks Brett, had a blast working on this guy. Have the roof, awning, and stack yet to go. So many cool details on a relatively small structure, signature SierraWest all the way.

Thanks Dave and glad you like the exposed siding under the tar paper, I personally love that look and is so prototypical.. The doors and windows in this kit are just ridiculously cool with new and innovative designs and so easy to work with.

Appreciate your thoughts Karl as your insight is always refreshing and spot on accurate.

Thanks ED, tilited-in lower sashes straight out of Brett's manual...I love the look as well.
  • the tar paper looks really good. ah hell...everything looks really good.
  • Dr,

Fantastic eye for detail as is usual for any of your builds! The sign is perfect. I really enjoy reading your process of thinking about where to weather and fade boards. One thing that is really exception besides all the rest is the tarpaper. Very nicely tore with the boards behind. Very natural. The doors in this kit are really awesome. How you did the placement looks very natural as well.

Success! The patient is alive, alive I say!

Great job!

Cheers,

Jim ( aka #1 fan of the mad genius Dr. Grunge)
  • Thanks Kevin appreciate that.

Hey Jim, you cracked me up!...I played that video twice, once as is and once imagining my workshop in the background and instead of Frankenstein on the table it's J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry...too funny.

I appreciate both you and Kevin pointing out the tar paper detailing. I thought it worked out well and well worth the extra effort. The roof will have a tad bit more as well. Nice hearing from you buddy...Ken
  • Great idea with the Tp & wood showing.
    Those little details that your adding are sure making the model a real standout!!

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry and I really enjoy those little subtile details that individualize the build and coveys a modeling style...grungy!
  • Hey Ken,
    I am glad I made you laugh. You got exactly what I was going for with the film clip!
    Jim
  • Well played Jim...