visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• That's some incredible work Ken. I love the water stains. Just right...
  • I concur. Everything is just right. Amazing build of an amazing model.
  • Please, Ken, tell me this is not HO scale!
  • edited August 2018
    Ken, if it is HO, I ran across two Jordan vehicle kits from the late 1970s today in a box of goodies. The missing box! If you would like them, I'll send them to you. They build a pretty realistic HO car. There is a pickup truck with long bed. Cool old boxes too.
  • Very impressive! The buildings combined into a tremendous display of your artistic capability. I can't wait to see how you finish the foundry wall castings... Hope you show us photos as you add the progressive color layers and shadowing to the stone walls....PLEASE?.
  • edited August 2018
    You and me both BillR,
    I know Ken is going to be exceptional as always, but I also want to see it evolve....

Karl.A
  • Hi Ken,

Your modeling work so far is incredible. You have the grunge finish on the walls and distressed wood siding which looks fantastic. The sign look well worn as if its been on the building for 50 years or so. But may I say that your shingles look to be in to good of shape. You have distressed the tar paper roof which looks incredible and also the metal roofing looks very well worn.
  • Ken, the roofs are extremely well done. ( the rest aswel of course) The metal one stands out because of the subtle, but yet spot on water marks. I suppose you will add a little color when assembling the complete build. ( I would, to make it a little less gloomy , which is even so no critic at all ! Just a personal thought) . )Perhaps in the details.
    Love to follow your work man. Thanks for sharing. I know even the taking and posting photos takes time !! Appreciate it.
  • Most impressive. Too bad that killer casting is tucked away in between the buildings. I keep wondering whether the roof-rot should be on the side with the water tank.
  • edited August 2018
    Just a thought. If the roof shingles were slate (which would not be uncommon in an area that had a lot of slate), the roof could remain just like Ken has it for up to 100 years. I loved the contrast between the failure of the tar paper and the straightness and solidity of the shingles—one of my favorite qualities in the structure. (But that is why nature made the female breast in so many sizes and shapes.) Ken, frankly I think that building is pretty close to perfect as is.
  • Ken, great job!

The overall blend and age/use differentiation that you have achieved on these integrated structures looks spot-on to me and I look forward to your approach on finishing the docks and the roof over the saw table area.

Request: if possible (and before you go to far with mounting all the structures on your diorama base) would you please include a "ground level view" photo under good lighting conditions looking directly at the brick tempering oven including the pattern shop and tempering shack on each side to highlight the contrast you have achieved between these structures. I know this area will be barely visible on the completed diorama but I think this view would provide a useful reference for less experienced builders. Hope the above all makes sense! Thanks.
  • edited August 2018
    Thanks Karl.

Appreciate that Brett, and the water tank stains worked out resonably well I think and will continue onto the roof over the concrete loading dock below.

Hey Joel, thanks and nice hearing from you...yes, amazing kit for sure.

Eric, appreciate the offer of the vehicles but not sure what I'm going to do with respect to any vehicles on my diorama...now if you want to float me a killer HOn3 Gon like you have on your thread...bring it brother!

BillR, Nice hearing from you Bill and thanks much. Absolutely, I'll make sure I document the steps in coloring those sweet stone walls for sure.

Hi Stephen, thanks for the input and kind words. This was the first time modeling asphalt 3-tab shingles, and I love em! My thoughts were that tar paper is going to weather and deteriorate at a much faster rate than shingles. I considered removing some here and there, turning up the edges, cutting the corner off a few, etc...but decided to just sand the leading edges and weather with chalks and make the roof in good repair. I'm not one to get into..."well they could have replaced the roof just a few years ago" and...wait, who the hell is "they"? I guess I wanted the atributes of these amazing shingles Brett came up with to be highlighted on this build...the Office just across the way has the same shingles, maybe I'll try some of those ideas there...

Robert, thanks much for the note and nice review and I always look forward to hearing from you. The coloring is by the book as they say however, my work is typically on the dull and neutral side for sure. Brett's color on the pilot model of these three structures pops more significantly than mine. I'll be picking up some color with the details as you mentioned and with the scenic work as well. I think Brett did a fabulous job on the various roof and siding colors and finishes. Also keep in mind the pictures (lack of photo skill) have much variation in depicting the strength of the colors.

Thanks Bryan. You are so right my friend, I discussed this very issue of that wonderful Tempering Oven casting being tucked in where it can't readily be seen with Brett. The finctionality of the industry dictates location of course. There will be a killer exhaust stack on top that will more than make up for the slightly hidden view.

You are also right about the roof rot on the Pattern Shop. I put it there to correspond to the rot along the bottom of the wall below. I put the wall rot there as it's the only place that you can see the wall all the way to the ground as the remainder of the walls are covered by concrete and wood docks.

Thanks Eric, excellent points as the age apperance of the roofs can of course be any combination depending on materials and when the roofs were serviced or replaced. Like you, I like the contrast as well. Thanks for your input...

Brian, you got it my good man! I'll get a couple of pictures straight away. Thanks for your critical eye and critique and the kind words.

I agree Ed...great input here from everyone...love this stuff don't we!
  • edited August 2018
    Ken, the gon is mine since it is hugely sentimental, but I will have Amanda photograph a few of my other scratch built HOn3 cars from that era—late 1970s. Also, I checked the kits. Basically never opened and still sealed, all parts, in plastic with full instructions. Yours for the asking. Least I can do for a modeler like you. I will show the photos of the HOn3 cars over on my introduction page.
  • Sounds good Eric and you are too kind! I’ll certianly pay for the kits if I can use them...
  • Ken, money could not buy these kits. I mean that. Did you see the photo of the two kits before it was removed? I'll place it on my Intro thread. What lady?
  • Well thanks Eric. No I didn't see them. "what lady?"...oh you'll pay for that one!...I'm telling...
  • My buddy Lee said: "Oh, I thought she was standing in a blizzard. I guess I let my imagination get carried away."
  • Beautiful work Ken.

Jerry
  • Hi Ken,

The noticeable damage that I have seen on the three tab shingles over the years has been done by wind.
  • IMG_3866

First go at coloring the stone walls of the Foundry. The wall on the right has been primed with Rust-Oleum Khaki. The wall on the left is essentially done. Various colored chalk and alcohol mix was applied randomly to each stone as per the instructions. The lintels and sills were done with a light tan chalk mix and then dulled with black chalk.

IMG_3857

This image illustrates the texture of the resin stone casting a bit better.
  • Ken,

Looking good. Thanks for the description of how you colored the resin stone wall.

I keep looking back at the photos of the "3 structure complex consisting of the Pattern Shop, Repair Shop, and Tempering Shed" on the previous page. Thanks for taking the structures outside for some additional photos of the three sub-assemblies as they will appear on the diorama/scene. The colors just seem to be more natural outdoors when compared to indoor light. But what I have come to notice for myself even more is that the strong shadows cast in full sunlight tend to somewhat mask the detail within when compared to the less harsh shadows of naturally lit objects photographed in "open shade" under a big shady tree.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/177/C5554EL5R9MZ.jpg
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/881/Q1VA7I0VXUM5.jpg

I guess what I am getting at is something you have already discovered and why you took the time to photograph these structures in full sunlight as well as in shade.

Thanks, Later, Dave S. Tucson ,AZ
    (The land of bountiful sun and precious little shade!)
  • Love the subtle colour variation. Once again nailed it. I marvel at your consistency.
  • Thanks Dave. I'm not much of a photographer, so you are way ahead of me in that department. I just try and get a variety of shots that show the features of the build as best I can. I love Arizona by the way!

Appreciate that Joel. Wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but once I started building up the various color tones it seemed to come together.
  • Agree with Joel. Was there any filler / mortar between the stones when these buildings were made ? Nice casting by the way.
  • Looks good. Just enough color variation between stones to make it interesting, not too much to make it distracting.
  • Wow that wall looks great Ken! The stone color variation is perfect, natural and subtle with a bit of shadow between.

The Foundry walls represent an almost dry stacked stone with just a bit of mortar.
  • edited August 2018
    Ken,

Thanks for your reply. Just keep on doing what you are doing in the photo department as all three types of photos you take and post, indoor, outdoor in full sun and outdoor in "open shade" all have merit.

Yes, Arizona, more specifically the Sonoran Desert in the Tucson area, is a neat place to have moved to from the southwestern suburbs of Chicago. Quite a contrast from living in an area formed by the glaciers eons ago with its rolling terrain, heavily forested old oak and maple tree stands of timber and small lakes to the open 30+ mile vistas surrounding the Catalina Mountains of Tucson. Back in the Chicago area it was rare to see a sunrise or sunset through the trees but out here sunrise over the Catalina's and sunset over the Tucson or Tortolita Mountains ranges are equally spectacular and in full view.
  • Sounds good Dave...
  • Come to Tucson and enjoy the summers!!! Uh Uh Uh