visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• I like it a lot. It sure tells a story.

Did you consider replacing one of the big sliding door panels with a patch? I ask because everyone's door patches on O'Neills looked so good and I wondered how it would look on these doors.
  • edited July 2018
    Thanks Brian, and the plan is to have the Work Shop appear as a slightly newer structure with less obvious weathering and deterioration...I only hope I don't get carried away with DR. Grunge persona! That's one of the things I love about kit building, the personal touch each builder imparts on their model.

BillR, you bring up a great point and one I have angst about while contemplating my roof construction for the Pattern Shop and one that is appropriate to discuss now and will carry over for the remainder of the build.

For me to construct a roof that is significantly dilapitated, which is beyond what Brett designed the roof to be as the Pattern Shop would have kept the roof in good repair to protect the valuable materials inside, I would be deviating quite significantly from the manual and the original intent. This is the "official forum build" and my goal is to follow the manual in the constructiuon process and impart my personal modeling style where I see it complimenting the build. A good example would be the excellent color choice of the Pattern Shop. I detailed and weathered the wood to my style but the color follows the manual. Had I changed the color, that would change the entire look and feel of the diorama and believe me, Brett spends countless hours researching the combination of colors, texture, arrangement, composition, etc...following the manual will result in a superior model. So I plan to weather the roof within the materials provided and I love challenging myself to see how I can impart my modeling style on the various materials.

Thanks for your kind words and intuitive insight on the build Bill. It's folks like you that make this so enjoyable. It's not just a model...it's the planning, the process, and the people.

Jerry, I'll take a one word compliment anytime! Thanks my man.

Thanks Muddy, right the color Brett came up with is perfect for this guy.

Hey Joel, I appreciate that my friend...

Alan, what's up in your world?...thanks for the note and wondering what your working on?

Robert, you are right, I have resisted the temptation to try O Scale and find my nitch in 1:87 and enjoy seeing how much detail I can squeeze out of it. Thanks for the support.

• Fantastic work as usual Ken.

-Steve
  • Ken, Thanks for the reminder about the intent of the "Official forum build". By intent you should live within the contents of the "box", and I neglected to state that's why your later magic will be interesting to watch.
    Others in the forum may see that Brett also designs in a bit of flexibility so a kit owner has a chance to add some individual touches. I believe that this wonderful, old, weathered blacksmith shop is one of those spots. The roof needs to be weather-proof but it also could utilize other equally aged and weathered materials from the hobbyist's own supply drawer. That opportunity for creativity is why this is such an interesting hobby.
  • HO is best served by the youth. Not for old farts.
  • Bill, well stated...and see below and let me know what you think.

Right Ed...glad we got that straight....ha.
  • edited July 2018
    Hopefully nobody is tired of seeing the Pattern Shop, but I am now ready to move on to the Repair Shop. The roof is done...so not to be redundant, most of the pictures are just the roof. The front left corner of the roof has damage and rot but no on the inside just through the overhang. This area is directly above the rot on the bottom of the front wall as you may recall.

P7130011

P7130019

Worn but functional. Dusted each batten with black chalk for highlights and acumulated grunge.

P7130018

P7130017

P7130021

I for one enjoy an occasional scale perspective...

P7130022

On to the Repair Shop...
  • dayum!!
  • Double dayum!!!
  • Looking good, Ken!
  • Kevin has his own language. He means "Man that's damn good".
  • Ken, I knew you would work some magic and indeed you did! The damaged area above the rotted wood was a great touch and weaves a consistent story for this historic building. Well done.
  • Ed, speak for yourself!
  • Fantastic work Ken, beautifully executed as always.
    The shadowing and shading you have added works perfectly, both on the walls and the roof. Such added depth brought out on that roof, easily over done, and, usually not done at all, you got it just right.

(ignoring your dilapidated corner) You have given character, depth and interest to a perfectly intact roof, without the need of patches, multiple materials or even some guy with a hammer, very nicely done.

You have the balance between functional and secure with just the right amount of age and wear for interest from the viewer.

Karl.A
  • Tired of seeing those wonderful photos ???? you must be joking. This is a very well succeeded roof !!! Not everything must fall apart and be totally dilapidated.. no ? With these kits, every modeler can go his own way, add his personal feel to it. That's why they are so SUPER !!
  • Roof matches walls perfectly
  • Outstanding work Ken. Love the personal touches and personality you have added to make it your own.
  • I'm with Robert...luv the photos...every photo adds to the story

Terry
  • Well Brett, this kit is panning out just as I/we all expected...simply amazing. This first structure went together flawlessly and the three freight door styles are just delicious!...best way I can describe them. Thank you for providing such a phenomenal product and appreciate everything you do.

Karl, as I have said before, you're one of those legendary modelers that as I work through a build you are always there. I find myself frequently thinking "I can't wait for Karl to see this and what his thoughts will be" Your critique is always spot on and I feel my modeling is improved with every comment and suggestion. Thanks much for your support and guidance...appreciate you my friend...

Kevin, thanks man, another one of those one word compliments I'll take every time.

Thanks Terry for building on Kevin's thoughts! Glad the amount of photos is not getting any yawns...at least not yet!

Appreciate that Brian...

Ed is that saying you like it without saying you like it?...:)

BillR, was thinking of you and our previous conversation while working on the roof. Thanks again for pointing out such an appropriate discussion topic. Thanks for such kind words and really glad you're following along.

Thanks Robert, I'm trying to go along methodically on this build and not rush through documentation of the various aspects that build on each other. Pointing out and attempting to match the roof with the structure as an example. I figured taking pictures of the walls together AND the roof installed one may take away from the other as far as build progression is concerned. Appreciate your encouragement as I work through this project.

Bryan, that's what I like to hear as going into it you're not sure it will pan out the way you invision! Thanks.

• You my friend are truly a mad genius! The walls are exceptional. First the weathering of the word blacksmith on the front is perfect. Just the right amount of fade. The walls are faded with just the right amount of color and "grunge". The technique that Brett thought up for scuffing the doors is fantastic. It really says a lot about his modeling. Every kit I have built keeps adding more and more to my arsenal of techniques for model building. Even with other kits I have found I incorporate the techniques I have learned from his manuals and the builds by yourself and everyone else here. This always improves the non sierra west kits I am building and really brings them up to the level you obtain whether it is the first Sierrawest kit or your tenth. Again it really says a lot about his ability to teach and develop new techniques and the abilities of the modelers here on the forum.

The garage door partially open is totally cool. The roof is also excellent and I do like the corner rot. Perfect. I don't post something in a week and you have the first building exceptionally done. Amazing!

Thank you for the really nice comment after my last post! We are all here to cheer you on!

Cheers!

Jim
    (BTW I am not Australian or from Great Britain but always like the way the use the word cheers!)
  • Ken said "I for one enjoy an occasional scale perspective... "

Me too, it reminds me that this is HO, which makes it even more impressive to enjoy.
  • Jim, "Mad genius" nicest thing anyone has ever said!...Kidding aside, thanks much for the kind words and you are so right regarding Brett both as a modeler and a manufacturer.

I'm in...Cheers!

Ken

I was hoping those images thrown in occasionally were useful and nice to see. Thanks Karl.
  • Workmanship is right there. The coloring on the roof is so perfect that black chalk sure did pop the detail.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry, I was pleased with the results of the chalking...
  • edited July 2018
    Have begun work on the Repair Shop walls. This is the finished right wall to illustrate where I'm going with the Repair Shop. 90 percent of this wall is covered by a large J.E. Morton's Foundry sign. Only the edges are visible once the sign is glued to the wall. The walls also sit atop a wood foundation which is a wonderful look and a great design by Brett. Note the toned down weathering at the bottom of the walls as compared to the Pattern Shop and the overall good condition of the siding boards. The color is damp brushed on as before with a nice aged off white achieved by mixing Pale Buckskin and SW Bone at about 70/30.

P7160012A

P7160012

P7160020

Shot of the siding installed over the laser cut framing...you can see just how realistic the laser is in providing a studded wall for interior detailing if desired. The next post will be of all four finished walls...Ken
  • Looking great Ken. I like how you pay attention to the bottom weathering outside AND inside. You stay consequent . Makes no sense to have boards who have seriously suffered from sun, rain , drought, rot, and clean, as new on the inside. It's all in the detail with these kits... ( you noticed I used weathering, not patination... :blush: )
  • Nicely done, Ken. You are executing finishes that show age but still indicate that the Repair Shop addition may be at least a decade or more recent than the Pattern shop.
    This is a fantastic group of buildings... a great kit. It's becoming apparent why it was a sellout in two days. Brett will be busy producing the second run for some time into the future!
  • WE love Ken's weathering, and your patination.
    ed
  • Ken,

I really enjoy watching your builds as they progress. I learn something from each of your posts showing progress and especially look forward to your detailed explanations of the steps followed illustrating how, where and why as the building moves through each phase. The comments from other journeymen builders add to the overall pleasure of coming back to the forum discussions throughout the day. I believe that Robert has made a very important observation/point about the weathering at the bottom of the interior walls. These are the sort of details that establish builds on this forum as being among the best out there. As always, I am looking forward to each of your posts, Ken.

Later, Dave S. (Enjoying the respite afforded by our Sonoran Desert monsoons!)
  • The weathering on the siding is fantastic, excellent work!