visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

By Way of Introduction

Comments

• MICHAEL PAUL SMITH He was SUCH a lovely talented seeing sensitive man. An excerpt of one of Michael's e-mails to me in 2016 before his stroke:

"I have to say, I am looking forward to moving permanently to
    Elgin Park.
    For all of the excitement, both good and bad, of this reality,
    the story line is getting thin for me. Time to move on.
    Eric, I hope I'm not bringing you down with all of this.
    If anything, I'm just thinking out loud.

On a different note...
    When I come across something soul stirring, such as your
    Art or the story you wrote about your Father, everything
    stops for me. It's almost like entering a reality "out of time" filled with
    understanding and comprehension; Life Distilled, as it were.
    I love these moments and always keep an eye out for them.
    Music and humor are also avenues to these moments.

The photo you sent of your '66? Chevy Impala presented another
    life distilled jolt. The fact that it was snow covered and missing
    it's hubcaps, made it all the more potent. Plus it was a far more romantic
    image than if it had been clean and polished.

The smell of the cold interior, the feel of the hard plastic steering wheel,
    all of the miles on the odometer....
    I found myself nodding and smiling. Like the rooms you had drawn, I also
    knew this car.

There is a drawing you did of yourself behind the wheel of an automobile:
    a cowboy hat, rain on the windshield, the glimpse of a rear fender,
    and a very focused look on your face - it was quite the image.
    Would you feel comfortable sharing some insight into what was
    going on at that time? Self portraits are always fascinating snapshots
    into one's internal landscape.
    And not just the image itself, but what you were feeling while you were
    drawing it.

When I was an art director, one of the activities I liked
    best was reviewing peoples portfolios. The finished images were of interest
    but it was the process of how they got to the final product that was
    more intriguing. All of those creative miles they had to travel before
    they arrived.

Eric, I realize am rambling here again; a thousand pardons.

I hope you feel better. Good vibes are being sent your way.

Best regards,
    Michael"

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 9.36.08 AM
  • edited November 2018
    My father died over 36 years ago, but I miss him every day. He started all sports car racing in Canada in 1951 with Jack Luck, he owned the first Porsche in Canada, and he was a good friend of Briggs Cunningham. Photos of my dad in 1952 at the top of Mount Equinox, with the first Ferrari in America owned bt Briggs, and just him. I'm in a documentary movie about my 40 year dream of driving a 356 across the country for the memory of my father. The trailer needs a password: quantum.

1 copy
    Dad-Final copy
    M-send copy 2
  • edited December 2018
    My dream is becoming a reality. Getting excited. 1/48th scale modeling from Maine of Maine. Cheers!

IMG_1262

IMG_1282
  • Fantastic layout....
  • I invite everyone to take a very close look at this layout. Numerous details and lifelike scenes to be discovered. How about the waving laundry caused by the passing freight train. The flooded street. Very well done Eric.
  • Robert, everyone seems very excited by my work. Such a warm fuzzy feeling.
  • Eric. Tell you what I like it a lot. ...Carl........
  • I always have admired folks that can plan urban scenes such as this. Takes much forethought and planning...above my pay grade! Nicely done.
  • mine too. eric, it seems like you sat at the feet of george sellios for a time.....
  • A few new photos for my few viewers:

IMG_4347 copy
    IMG_4348 copy
    IMG_4362 copy
    60021565_2035415856584285_3120170831464890368_o copy

IMG_4222 copy
    IMG_4249 2 copy
    IMG_4326 copy
  • Great work on the truck. Another fine detail added. Same for the Harley in front of the biker's pub. Is there still a bridge to be installed, or was it like that , a locomotive crossing the water just on two rails.
    Are you gonna put people in the deserted streets?
  • Yes, a bridge under the On30 rails. A trestle I think. Of course there will be people. This isn't even half finished.
  • Love this truck. (LOL) Especially appropriate for a Maine resident to have as a featured item on his home layout. Did you create the truck signs on your computer?
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ In the Heart of the Sonoran Desert
  • And Brett, I cannot for the life of me find the rural mailbox casting. Where would it be?
  • Dave, how are you? Are you getting all my model-photo e-mails? Yes, Amanda did the graphics.
  • Great truck, nice finish.
  • Splendid detail Eric...reminds me of another urban layout that gets all the rave but I always thought it a bit "cartoonish"...yours has a more honest and prototypical feel to it.
  • edited May 2019
    KK, when you live in Maine and you've lived here pretty much all your life, it is way easy to model it.
  • Looking good MG....always enjoy seeing your work...would like to see it in person but doubtful I’ll get to Maine in this lifetime....unless I make a trip to Acadia NP
    Terry
  • edited May 2019
    it looks like movie set. excellent modeling. especially the truck. is there any chance you could post an overall pic of the layout?

• Want to send a postcard? Send it to Hobo, Penobscot Falls, Maine 04915. It will get there. Thanks to Brett for sending the box!IMG_4791

• Most exciting thing Penobscot Falls ever did. The locals still talk about it. Some towns raise a cathedral, but PF raised a DC-3. God love them!

IMG_4798 copy
  • edited May 2019
    Kebmo. Note overview above, but the layout is growing!
  • how about a perspective shot of the layout room? it's very intriguing and i'd love to see the scope of it.
  • It stays very exiting to see these magnificent scenes.
  • Love that weathered Shell tanker...I also like how you mixed in what looks like leaves or debris after putting down the static grass. Often don't see that added and it really makes a nice effect.
  • Kebmo, here is a pretty good overview of the railroad, but expansion is coming in the form of an entire On30 layout which will interchange at the wharf.

Also a fruit truck I've been building. Penobscot Falls is not big on citrus saying: "I ain't eatin' none of that Californee-A stuff!"

IMG_3842 copy 2
    IMG_5102
  • awesome! i love the truck alot.
  • Eric. One of these days I am going to take a trip to Maine and see your fine work. I live in Vermont so not that far. ...........Carl...........